Mark Cerny Reveals the PS5 specs to Wired Magazine

In an Exclusive interview with Wired Magazine, Mark Cerny Chief architect of the PS4 revealed some insight into the specifications of Sony's upcoming console.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/mark-cerny-revealed-the-ps5-specs-to-wired/
1 Like

“Right off the bat as expected it will be an 8 core AMD Ryzen processor based on the 7nm Zen 2 architecture. Graphics will be provided by the Navi based Radeon architecture and will support Ray tracing and 8k Resolutions (checkerboard rendering most likely)”

This is a huge win for AMD. Also, if legit, this is the first official confirmation that Navi will indeed support ray tracing.

1 Like

Those are some tasty specs. Probably gonna cost an arm and a leg.

2 Likes

Probably a fair part of the other arm and leg too!

MS/XBox are going to be hard pressed to match, nevermind beat, those spec levels at even a vaguely affordable cost either. Unless there’s a radical price drop for the the current consoles when these new ones release, it looks like I’m going to be relying on my trust OG XBox One for a while longer.

1 Like

I look forward to seeing the XBone One Two Three’s specs. It will be very interesting to see how it compares.

2 Likes

I see lots of people around the interwebs are guesstimating the price will be $499. It seems a bit cheap considering the specs but I don’t think Sony would want to make it too expensive and alienate a large demographic of their audience, i.e kids under 18. IIRC they did also sell the PS3 at a loss when it launched and considering their market share currently I guess it is possible that they will aim for that price point.

Whats a PS4 Pro cost in SA at the moment? Around R7000 or so? That’s listed by Sony at $399 = R5500, so at $499 for the new console, we’re potentially looking at R8500-odd? Or is my guesstimaths way off?

i suspect $499 is going to be the launch price and they might take a $100 or $150 knock on the manufacturing costs.

On the other Hand MS might have the advantage with its 2 sku strategy where they can sell the Next gen One X successor at $500 but the Disc less One S Successor at $399 which could be a blow for Sony, that is why MS is also pushing gamepass actively these past few months. Subscribe an play 100’s of games a month on a console that is also $100 cheaper, its a no brainer.

2 Likes

im sure the ps3’s at launch was close to R7500 here back in 2007

1 Like

Sony is still king of the exclusives though and that counts a lot for the more “hardcore gamers” which I’m sure makes up the largest part of the audience these days.

Yeah, MS has got a lot of studios under it’s wing now, but they don’t exactly have the best track record when it comes to acquiring studios. Granted that was under different leaders so anything is possible at the moment.

Exciting times ahead definitely.

1 Like

So why are “hardcore gamers” so mad about Epic Games and it’s exclusives…If Sony gets a pass, Epic should get one as well…

1 Like

You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Playstation is a platform on its own that is owned by Sony. The exclusive games come from studios (mostly) owned by Sony as well. The games will never be available on any platform other than Playstation (there are of course a few exceptions).

Epic does not own the PC platform or any studios that they have exclusive deals with. They are just throwing money at them. All the games will (probably) be available on other store fronts on PC eventually.

I honestly don’t give a shit about the whole Epic thing. I’d like to say I won’t buy BL3 from their store because I would want to have it on Steam like the rest of the franchise, but I’m only kidding myself. If I have the money on launch day there is no doubt in my mind that I would buy it on the Epic Store as well as on PS4.

1 Like

MS has realised that gunning for sony directly is not the best move, thats why they are slowly expanding the xbox portfolio to other platforms like pc and look at the switch, it recently received ports of cuphead and Hellblade, they know the mentality of a console box as a platform is slowly dying and this might be the last generation of consoles. Their aim is to make Xbox a service imo and thats why they are also hard at work on the project x cloud stuff.

Sony has got the games and some of the best talent at their studios but if there is no console generation after the next then what are they going to do with that, ps now on pc is a joke to be honest and even with the exclusives not all of sony’s first party titles end up on there compared to the gamepass approach MS has.

2 Likes

Fair points but we don’t know what Sony has up their sleeves regarding something similar to gamepass. I’m pretty sure they are also clever enough to realise that the console box is dying and they will have made provision for it, after the life cycle of the next gen console. And even if they haven’t, that is still at least a decade away so they have ample time to come up with something.

1 Like
1 Like