Medical Aids

So I’m really tired of my medical aid (Health Squared). They used to be good back in the day but now they are a nightmare and I want to change.

Not sure to what though. What do you recommend?

Also does anyone know if you still get the 3 month no cover thing? Because that sucks. Wanted to change earlier in the year but then COVID-19 happened and was too scared to change. But would prefer to change before the end of the year.

3 Likes

I am basically held hostage by my current medical aid because of the 1-2 year exclusion on pre-existing conditions. If you have one, you are screwed, you cannot change unless you are willing to take the risk.

So if you are thinking of changing, make sure you don’t have something serious already for which you will not be covered for.

3 Likes

Wow that’s messed up! I didn’t even know about that.

2 Likes

The 3 month thing applies, 3 months on normal day to day and 1 year on any pre-existing conditions.
im with Discovery, must say i haven’t had any problems, i know they are expensive but they cover all doctors visits, hospital admissions etc

4 Likes

Lets not forget that if you cannot shell out a massive amount of money on it, you will have to get gap cover as well.

Just remember that “We cover 100% of medical aid rates” does NOT mean what it sounds like. It actually means that they will cover about 25% of a hospital/surgeon bill, you will have to pay the rest.

4 Likes

Thats one thing i like with discovery, its unlimited cover in their network of hospitals

3 Likes

Only for the top range cover though I am sure?

3 Likes

You need to read through each one, there are rules to it but you can view it all on their site and compare plans. They have lists of what the do and don’t cover, so its up to the person to be informed i guess? Most people don’t look into what their paying for

3 Likes

I moved from Discovery to Momentum a few years ago now. https://www.momentum.co.za/momentum/personal/products/healthcare/incentive-option

That is the option I am on currently. I get more from them than I did from Discovery for more money.

So far with this whole losing weight thing, they have been awesome. So far all my costs have been covered, either directly or out of my savings.

Dental they do the basics, just don’t go to one of those VERY fancy places.

2 Likes

I should add in I still want gap cover as well later on, but right now that is just outside of my budget.

2 Likes

This can be such a confusing topic. My biggest gripe is needing insurance on your insurance! The very idea of gap cover frustrates me.

Because it get so confusing I have a company who advises on our personal finances. They are not linked to any of the big medical aids, and do their own corporate investments directly (for other stuff).

The guy helping me set out 4 different medical aids after chatting to us for a few hours, gauging exactly what we need. Then, with similar packages from the big medical aids, he ran through all options, benefits and ways to save on premiums or get extra benefits. We ended up with Discovery, and in order to get maximum benefit for the lowest price, we need to work a little for it. But I am happy so far.

I still need gap cover…

3 Likes

Remember that medical aids are regulated as to what they are allowed to pay out. Private medical care charges in excess of what a scheme is allowed to pay out. Hence gap cover, which falls under another piece of regulation… Beware that gap covers are falling away soon though.

The reasons above are why the NHI is going to be a thing. Government is trying to control the astronomical prices that private institutions are charging and provide the general public with decent health care.

3 Likes

And IF they can do it well, I wont mind it - its an amazing thing in the UK

2 Likes

You’re going to need to SuperSize that “IF”.

3 Likes

@wenzdayz, I contacted my medical aid person (we have one that helps everyone at work) and he said there will be a 3 month waiting period but that Discovery will cover PMB during that time.

I gave him details of what I want and yes, I think we will be moving to Discovery. Just need to pick a plan.

And I really hope something bad doesn’t happen to use during that 3 months.

4 Likes

Oh ok damn cant believe there is a waiting period… will then probably be best if i go on the hubbies medical aid as he works for Discovery.

3 Likes

The 3month period is rather standard these days!

3 Likes

We’re on Classic Priority and I can’t complain. With the birth of the twins, they were in icu for 2 weeks and the bill was around R500k plus my wife was also in hospital during her pregnancy and a couple of extra days after. We didn’t pay anything except for parking at the hospital to go visit the twins, but eventually the hospital signed our tickets so we didn’t have to pay that either.

I did a comparison of the medical aids a few years ago and except for the private medical schemes (i.e. BankMed) and Profmed, I think Discovery is the best. They’re the only scheme that still cover 200% of treatments in hospital whereas the closest second is Bonitas at 150%, but I’ve heard of some bad experiences when it comes to claiming from them.

6 Likes

That great feedback, thanks for sharing.

I have been with discovery since I joined my company, about ayear ago, and yet to make use of MA (signed with Discovery over Bonitas). Though I only took the Coastal Core plan it’s nice to hear feedback like this of positive experiences.

4 Likes

Well, we’ve been on Discovery for 12 years now. Before that my parents were on Discovery since the day they started up. My (late) sister was born with renal failure and accumulated huge hospital bills throughout her life and Discovery always paid up. We’ve also never had any issues with Discovery ourselves and I also moved my short-term insurance to them - lower premium than what anyone else could give me and 0 excess payments for the duration of my policy. I’m also considering moving my long-term insurance to them, as they seem to provide better cover at almost half the premium I’m currently paying…

6 Likes