Meetings that should be e-mails

Seems the bosses have deemed it that I am to be micro-managed.

My ONE meeting a week, the only chance I get to sit with stakeholders and the product team, has been cancelled with a comment to state “we will call this meeting when required”. Subsequent daily meetings have been established to check progress on work, DAILY!

What. The. Fuck?!

1 Like

You are not a tree. Leave if it’s that bad

1 Like

You’re working “agile” now? Is it not a normal daily standup they will be doing? My large client (the one we’re building the insurance platform for) insisted on our daily standup (which is an hour long from 07:00-08:00) as well as a “catch-up meeting” at 15:00-16:00 each day. So we have 2 hours of meetings bookending our days. Well, most peoples’ days, as I start working a good 3 hours before the standup.

3 Likes

We also work in an agile environment but we do a biweekly standup in our project and a monthly standup for the other 20 or so devs on other projects.

So far we have been able to keep our CIO at arms length by showing productivity at that cycle period. We are hoping that we can continue to do so. Other devs in our umbrella corp have standups every day and it is a waste of their time.

2 Likes

Reading all these things makes me so happy that I work at a small company. We have a meeting every Monday. And that’s it.

3 Likes

Been at this company now about 8 months, this only happened yesterday.

Yeah, been working “agile” now at this company and the one before, so maybe 6 years now. Seem every organisation has a different interpretation of what agile is. This is outside of our daily standup. Not to mention every Tuesday and Friday is refinement and planning respectively, as I work across two teams.

Just feels like I’m being micromanaged due to slow progress on specific features. I accredit it to too many meetings and not enough resources. Now it just feels like I’m being dictated to and “told what to do” when design changes are being made by people other than those in the design process, which of course adds on to iterations of the process. But that’s just me and my feelings.

2 Likes

That’s due to the nature of agile - it’s even in the name. There is no silver bullet for agile. Teams figure out what works for them and adopt it into their culture and processes.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree.

2 Likes

yea sounds like Agile to me. But dam 1 hour meeting miff man. I get annoyed if a meeting is longer than 30min. Get to the point and then carry on. Stand ups are kinda just progress meetings, I dont mind the general meeting to be longer because thats every two weeks.

2 Likes

24 Devs, each having to say what they did in the last 2 weeks and what they are going to do in the next 2 weeks. Long meetings.

Especially when the less productive devs give detailed breakdowns of what they are busy with to hide the fact that they are damned slow. The productive devs give very short summaries.

Then its my turn as head of QA and it is: we tested everything everyone here said and we will do so again for the next 2 weeks. :wink: Nice and quick.

2 Likes

You’ll love it here. Every Friday is a planning day with an hour long retro and 7 hours of planning.

2 Likes

Meetings kill productivity!

When I started as a financial adviser we had a Monday sales meeting 9-10/10:30
Wednesday product training 9-?
Friday sales meeting 9-10:30

As a salesman you automatically lose 4hrs a week. 9am start means it’s another 1.5 hours client facing time lost (I start work at 7.30).
So it works out to a full 8/9hr day lost per week due to meetings.

If the manager just spent 2x15 sessions at your desk and 1 training session a week you’d be way more productive, but managers love meetings :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

@Shrike
Thats quite a bit. I always felt that if a meeting well short planning meeting is longer than 30min things have not been prepared on time and or planned at all. Even when I did large meetings on a site I did not want to waist contractors time and my time.

@Beo
No way well depends on how long or large the project is but 7 hours. Its basically having 3 days of work and 2 days of planning.

2 Likes

Yup… not to mention that there is a 4-5 hour refinement session every Tuesday.

2 Likes

Meetings should have outcomes. There are too many people that get side tracked and like to hear their own voice.

3 Likes

Whats a meeting?

Also, whenever i read standup i think “fucking hell, they’re all comedians?”

I don’t even wanna know what a standup is. is it like sounding off? I mean we do taht. We all chime in “good morning” around 07h30 on Skype in the week.

I guess we don’t need meetings because we’re constantly in comms with each other…

2 Likes

it is effectively a cermony of the agile manifesto, meant to be 15 minutes, short and concise recap of what you’re busy with and to bring any blockers and questions to light.

2 Likes

Ahahah, I like that. Very funny.

1 Like

Isn’t a stand-up when you all go to the kitchen for a coffee/tea and discuss the project?

1 Like

Going to paraphrase a work colleague here on a discussion of your words and what agile means to us: " It very much is a ceremony, and like most ceremonies, exists for historical reasons and barely has any meaning in the modern age"

He is so right. Basically I believe things like standups etc are an illusion of control that allows management elements to think that people are actually working. If someone stands up and says that they are doing something then they must be doing something.

One of my most read authors is L.E. Modesitt and in almost every one of his sci fi books (not his fantasy so much) he comments on this propensity we have for reports, paper trails and … standups to ensure responsibility. If everyone took personal responsibility for their actions, a society would not need any of those controls.

This is a book where he neatly encapsulates that in a great story.

1 Like