Memorable Campaigns in Games

I recently completed the single player campaign of Titanfall 2 and can honestly say that it lives up to the reputation that it has garnered as one of the greats. If anything my one criticism is that it is FAR too short simply because it is so fun you don’t want it to end.

Wes Fenlon of PC Gamer recently highlighted one of the most memorable moments in the game: Great moments in PC gaming: Jumping back and forth in time in Titanfall 2’s ‘Effect and Cause’ I fully agree that this was one of the best stages in the game.

What other game campaigns have you found to be memorable?

3 Likes

This discussion would be useless without an ode to The Witcher 3. By far the best campaign I’ve played in recent years, if not of all time… It’s probably a bit of a cheat though, as the game is a campaign. I suppose only games with multiple modes (i.e. multiplayer games) should qualify.

In that case, Destiny 2 stands out in recent memory, especially The Forsaken’s story. The base game and first expansions weren’t bad either, though. I could probably add in Destiny 1 as well, as I bought the game (and all DLCs) sometime last year and have been systematically working through it. The story, especially The Taken King, is really a grandeur of grand sci-fi.

2 Likes

in no particular order

Titanfall 2 (fully agree)
Half Life (the immersion back in 1998 was amazing)
Modern warfare 2 (technically the same core team that made Titanfall 2)
Bioshock
Halo 3

2 Likes

Ooh, I second Bioshock and Half-Life.

1 Like

Half Life
Fable: The lost chapters
DOOM(2016)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Warcraft III (ROC & TFT)
Spec Ops: The Line

2 Likes

Destiny 2
Mass Effect (series)
Dreamfall

2 Likes

Some great choices here. If we are allowed to choose purely SP games then obviously my first choice would be Deus Ex.

There’s a massive global conspiracy happening and you’re thrown right into it. This is probably the best thing, you really feel like you are part of the story. It’s largely a gameplay driven plot too, it’s not something that happens just through cutscenes. I replay this game fairly frequently and it still holds up.

A more modern take on this type of game is Prey. It combines similar gameplay but with some unique twists. The story is also a big part of the game.

2 Likes

In no particular order :

• Mass Effect 2
  • Deus Ex
  • Spec Ops The Line
  • Half Life
  • System Shock
  • Red Dead series
1 Like

One that immediately comes to mind is the Bloody Baron quest line in Witcher 3

I would also put Half-Life 2 Episode 2 on the list - there’s a reason so many people were eagerly (or still are) anticipating the next episode.

Mafia had a truly memorable story, when I replayed it I would often say, “Oh ya this mission!” Many fond memories there.

1 Like

Right, games with great campaigns. Oh there are so many of them that I enjoyed, but here are some of the highlights:

• Deus Ex - International conspiracies, global domination, Illuminatti, it’s all here, and still stand as one of the best campaigns I’ve played through in my life
  • Mass Effect 1/2 - There is no way I can choose between the two, but what a fantastic storyline and campaign to have played through and tried to save the galaxy
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - Oh boy, that campaign was an absolute duzi, not just due to lenght, but how it challenges you as a person in many ways
  • Half Life 2 - It’s not just considered the best game ever for nothing.
2 Likes

I really liked the campaign in Battlefield Bad Company 2. The interaction of the four characters was awesome.

1 Like

Lost Odyssey on Xbox 360. While the main campaign story was pretty standard, there were these extra short stories that were just so beautiful and sad.

Its been over 10 years and I still think about them.

Mass Effect though, every time I start I get into the “I’m Commander Shepard and I need to save the world” mode. It’s one of the few titles that I feel connected to main character, like every single thing I do matters. The sense of wonder with the first title, the urgency of the second and the total dispair of the third.

1 Like