Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 launches 2023-10-23T22:00:00Z for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC via Steam. The collection will include “Metal Gear Solid,” “Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty,” “Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater” and bonus content.

Games List

• Metal Gear Solid - Master Collection Version (includes VR Missions/Special Missions, Digital Screenplay Book, Digital Master Book)
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Master Collection Version (HD Collection version, Digital Screenplay Book, Digital Master Book)
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Master Collection Version (HD Collection version, Digital Screenplay Book, Digital Master Book)
  • Metal Gear
  • Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (shared with above titles - Digital Screenplay Book, Digital Master Book)

Bonus Content

• Metal Gear (NES version/FC version)
  • Snake’s Revenge
  • Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Digital Graphic Novel
  • Digital Soundtrack Metal Gear Solid: Digital Soundtrack

Pre-order Bonus

• Three Exclusive Digital Tracks

Nintendo Switch (Not available for sale yet)

PlayStation 5 (R1069)

Xbox Series X|S (R1069)

PC via Steam (No Store Page Yet)

A Master Collection store page and three individual store pages for:

• METAL GEAR SOLID - Master Collection Version
  • METAL GEAR SOLID 2: Sons of Liberty - Master Collection Version
  • METAL GEAR SOLID 3: Snake Eater - Master Collection Version
    …were briefly listed on Steam, but these disappeared soon afterwards.

A note picked up on the Master Collection page before it was taken down mentioned that MKB would not be supported on PC.

“Notice: METAL GEAR SOLID – Master Collection Version requires a controller in order to play. Playing with a keyboard and mouse isn’t supported.”

2 Likes

2 Likes

All of those were my reaction too. In the exact same order. :smiley:

2 Likes

I think it’s probably because these are straight ports and Konami is lazy. I’d be surprised if they support modern screen resolutions etc.

3 Likes

Yeah, it does make sense. The games were designed controller first (only!) anyway, so it’s the right way to play 'em, it’s just annoying to not have the MKB option out of the box. I like pc gaming because it provides me with options, so I dislike when something arbitrarily reduces my options.

4 Likes

I’m sure there are technical (non-trivial) reasons for why some games don’t have M/KB support.

Some of it is down to the effort it would take to do, and that the way inputs are “read” from a mouse is different than from a controller.

I know recently Ninja Gaiden was ported to PC with no mouse support either. That kind of makes sense, as attacks are directional, and you have a full range of 360 degrees to attack in.

MGS2 was released on PC in 2003, with mouse support iirc, but it was pretty broken otherwise.
I see the MGS1 port is on GOG with mouse support too, so idk :smiley:

2 Likes

As someone whose enjoyment and introduction to the series started with Ground Zeroes and then Phantom Pain, I am quite excited for this.

I have no expectation if I’ll understand any of it, as with the previous titles I have played, but I welcome to the bombastic and nonsensical story telling. Whether or not I can afford it is another matter.

4 Likes

The Master Collection was released on Steam this morning. Mine is downloaded and waiting at home for a playthrough.

Digital foundry said stay far away from this