MEW Side Hustles

Welcome to MEW Community Side Hustles

Everyone can do with a little extra coin in the kitty, and I know a number of MEWbs have part-time jobs or run little side projects to try and earn a few extra Rand each month. This topic was created so that folks have somewhere positive to promote their additional income generators.

@Wyvern still puts in hours at the vape shop and hand paints kids clothes. @murfle makes his Candian Ice hot sauce and streams. @Solitude has an ISP and hosting service review site. Someone else (I’m sorry I can’t remember who) hand makes bath product gift packs. @ani has a friend (? or Ani herself?) that does astronomy events. I vaguely recall someone talking about a charity fundraising Christmas market. @wenzdayz also streams. Someone once mentioned they (or a family member?) was waiting tables at a restaurant.

Whether it’s yourself directly, or a family member or friend, use this topic to promote, shout-out, and advertise services, small businesses, and side-hustles that you feel other community members should know about. We are few and we are spread wide, but you never know when you might happen to be in the area and in need of vape juice, or are looking for a small, personal gift for someone, or want to support a charitable event. Advertise your services; promote the restaurant you work in; link your websites and streaming profiles; tell us about your best friends’ small business; post the flyer about your church’s Christmas charity fete.

Let’s get hustling!

* Been racking my brain all week for a final topic to post for this years’ Brute Force comp - ideally one with a community focus to it. The (humble) realisation that I will be getting some cash at the end of the competition triggered this post. I worked hard to get all those articles and posts done to earn that prize. I’m going to give a fair portion of those winnings back via my Secret Santa gift, and the rest will help cover some of my other gifts this year.

4 Likes

I’ll go first. A few months ago (I want to say April-ish) my wife and a friend of hers started an online store selling handbags, bag straps, and some costume jewellery. I helped them set up the store and with maintaining the backend, adapting images for the site, and the odd bit of marketing and SEO stuff. I know squat about handbags, but it looks like nice stuff, and they really take pride in their packaging and in shipping stuff out quickly.

They are currently running a Black Friday Long Weekend Sale. 30% off until tomorrow on everything in the store that still has stock. It’s gone pretty well, but I think they were hoping for a little more, even though it’s their first time doing something like this. They’ll probably do another sale on some items for Christmas again. In between those, if you do happen to find something there that you like, drop me a quick PM here any time and I’ll organise a 10%-15% off code, or a Free Shipping voucher if that’s better, for you (but do that before you press Order else I can’t help you!)

Pink Mandarin | Beautiful Things Live Here

As an added plus you can support them without spending a cent: follow their store on Instagram and Facebook, and subscribe to their (very) occasional newsletter and get the people in your life that actually know something about handbags to do the same. :smiley:

9 Likes

Very cool topic, and also very clever. We are in a season where almost everyone is trying to make ends meet, including our household.

As a User Experience, User Interface, and Graphic Designer, I try and freelance out for the odd gig here and there. While this doesn’t come very often as I don’t particularly market myself and have an online presence (yet), I rely on word of mouth and the quality and connections I make. I prefer to work with people who worry about making an impact through outcomes and not output. I am my brand, and that is the way I market myself.

That being said, I have been somewhat successful in the sense that I am currently working with a few people in Dubai and working on a USD currency, depends how you measure success I suppose.

Secondly, my wife has tried to step up and bring in an income in this difficult period since COVID hit, and she has a bespoke little business of a baby, toddler, and child boutique called Sammy & me, named and branded around our little one, Samuel, who is our rainbow baby.

Follow us on Instagram and Facebook — naturally, I did all the branding (shameless plug) :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

i started a side hustle not so long ago, cost of living in SA is getting ridiculous

https://www.instagram.com/keyfactorcpt/

7 Likes

Followed :smiley:

5 Likes

Not much more to say. But I’ve also started a crapload of extra chilli plants so I’ll hopefully be able to sell some of those off too

And “streams” doesn’t refer to the after effects of eating said hot sauce, it’s twitch and youtube :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yea the vape shop aka Juicy Joes will always be my main side hustle, I do also do the clothing painting - more for fun these days, as well as some occasional typing for people when they need it aka I will do just about anything legal for cash :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I make and sell the bath and body products :slightly_smiling_face: have 2x jobs and also have a house&pet sitting business :smiley:

6 Likes

I give my expert personal opinion to those I feel need it online. Whether they asked for it or not! I’ve yet to find a way to monetize this though…

9 Likes

I thought it was you but then couldn’t for the life of me find the post about your products that I saw. Find those pictures again and post them here. And any social media links for the products, or the other businesses too.

@DohcWP you should add a business email address or a contact number to your Insta bio.

@Wyvern Juicy Joe’s does do online sales as well, right? So inland vapers can get gear from you that way?

https://www.juicyjoes.co.za/

Also, do you work at the Bellville or Tableview shop in case locals what to buy direct?

@Beo, tell your Mrs that those are some of the cutest infant and kid outfits ever! I know where to find personalised outfits for the next new niece or nephew.

@Mottamort, I reckon a YouTube channel is the way to go. Call it “Motta Mouths Off” and do short opinion piece videos about whatever you want. Pretty sure there’s an audience for any and everything out there. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yea Joes sell online:
Overnight to door Courier in Major Centers – R130

Major Centers are Johannesburg, Durban, Bloemfontein, George, Port Elizabeth, East London and Pretoria. Any order for overnight courier must be finalised by 12pm to qualify for Overnight delivery. We make use of Globeflight/DSV or The Courier Guy as our major center overnight courier (next business day). This is a to door service. Note that due to limited flights, Durban now takes 2 business days and not overnight.

Courier to non-major centres – R190

Order must be finalised by 12pm in order to be shipped that day. We make use of Globeflight/DSV or The Courier Guy as our courier. This is a to-door service. Deliveries to low traffic or outlying areas may take up to 4 working days.

Local Delivery – Cape Town/Stellenbosch/Somerset West/Gordons bay only . R85 for same day delivery if you order before 10am.

Im based at the Bellville Branch on weekends and public holidays (altho the next two weeks I am taking off) I am available for questions at all time.

2 Likes

noted, the plan was to first have a few healthy posts and followers then add those details afterwards. i have an ad on gumtree at the moment also

3 Likes

Hahaha I used to stream…

work and running a complex got too much to find the time to do that, also mentally i wasnt in a good place to stream…

i may get into it again but we will see. My side hustle is more graphic design stuffs as i actually make money from that.

3 Likes

If you dont mind share a few stuff im curious to see

3 Likes

Yeah, give us a taster of your talents. And any links to socials or a portfolio page somewhere.

3 Likes

Further on this, my wife has started another little brand, which is still in the pipeline of setting up the online or social presence but here’s the brand I’ve just finalised.

2 Likes

This thread is very interesting.

My side hustle used to make quite a bit of money back in the day but over the years I neglected it so much that now it makes nothing. Going to slowly try and get it back up and running again.

2 Likes

My expert opinion (which you’re getting despite not asking for it) is to probably tell us what it is that your side hustle involves :smiley:

1 Like

Mine is mentioned in the original post. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So it is! Good thing you didn’t pay me anything, so no refund to give for what was clearly a crappy opinion!

1 Like