Microsoft Flight Simulator ✈

I’m thinking of trying this out for racing games. It’s R88,99 on the Play Store

4 Likes

I gave it a quick try in MSFS and Dirt Rally 2. Looks like it could work.

1 Like

That’s quite impressive considering there is no need for head trackers to placed on your face, head or cap etc.

But now, why can’t we just run the same software on windows and use a webcam? The concept is proven…

1 Like

You can. Using AIRLegend/AITrack with OpenTrack (the same app that the eg above uses)

Both programmes are freely available on GitHub:

AITrack notes say:

But… I don’t have a webcam :frowning:

No problem. This program supports Droid Cam, so you’re able to use your smartphone as a camera.

My webcam is too old

Don’t worry. AITrack supports low resolutions pretty well. Anything achieving at least 30fps and 480p will do the job fine.

I played around with this combo on the weekend and was pretty impressed. Very responsive out the box, and with some fine tuning of the sensitivity paths I think it could work very well. Did not try it on any of the driving games though.

2 Likes

Oh, and here’s another option for iOS users that also uses OpenTrack:

The Head Tracker app is available for Free on the Apple App Store (presumably ad supported) or the full version (presumably ad free) is just $1.99:
Edit - turns out the free version of the app is time limited to 10 minutes of use to test if it works, then $1.99 through in-app purchase to unlock and use for unlimited time

Haven’t tried this one myself, but will hopefully have a look at it later today.

1 Like

And two other mods I found that are well worth looking into:

And from the same place, the Mega Liveries Pack:

2 Likes

Patch #2, which takes the game to build version 1.8.3.0, is out now. At around 11.5GB and a page and a half of patch notes, there seems to be a lot in it.

Full patch notes are here:

But the performance section is the one we’re all really interested in…

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT

• Optimized cockpit screen display when screens are not displayed on screen.
  • New option available to control cockpit screen update frequency.
  • Tweaked CPU thread priorities to reduce interruption of frame critical threads.
  • Optimized loading system to reduce overall loading times.
  • Optimized heavy airport scenes impact on CPU.
  • Reduced the amount of GPU overdraw to improve GPU performance.
  • Memory optimizations to reduce software memory footprint and improve performance on memory limited computers.
  • Overall performance optimizations.

Oh, and remember… updates to MSFS are done in-game, so be sure to launch and run the game and start the update download well in advance of the next flight you want to take.

2 Likes

This is such an unbelievably good video. It even brought a tear to my eyes

2 Likes

The first MSFS World Update (“World Update I: Japan”) is out today:

Here’s Obsidian Ants’ thoughts on the update preview:

(I did launch the game during lunch to see how big the update patch is, but nothing installed, so it may not yet be available?)

Update is out now. Do the small program update through the Windows Store first (661MB), then launch the game and the World Update should start automatically. It’s 7.4GB, so should be easy to take care of if you start it before heading to the gym for your evening workout*…

* :rofl: I amuse myself sometimes.

2 Likes

Anyone fancy a challenge?

3 Likes

Another update inbound:

The sixth and final video in Asobo Studios World Tour was released a few days ago, so I’ve added all six of them into a dedicated YT playlist.

It’s a mesmerizing 20 minute aerial tour of our incredible planet. In a video game. (If you have the bandwidth and speed, go with the 4K option - you will not be disappointed).

A. Video. Game. !

1 Like
1 Like

Thats insane! So detailed!

3 Likes

Anyone still flying places? I haven’t gotten round to reinstalling since my early December hard drive cleanup, but after seeing the latest improvements from the U.K. and Ireland update I think I may have to try to carve out some time soon to go flying again…

1 Like

Wrong!!! Big Ben is currently closed up in scaffolding! Game is broken! Uninstall!

2 Likes

I tried it in VR not too long ago, but even with settings dialed down to -1 I couldn’t get a smooth experience. It was incredibly choppy and jittery and hurt my eyes and brain. I actually cancelled my Game Pass sub this month, as I realised I’m not playing any of the games on there. When I’m over my VR craze, they add more VR content or I have a RTX3xxx graphics card, I’ll reconsider subbing again.

2 Likes
3 Likes