Microsoft now owns Bethesda

I guess so. Fallout 4 was also on Game Pass and then left.

1 Like

i purchased wolfenstein 2 after it left gamepass cause that game was so good

1 Like

What does this mean for the Bethsda.net launcher?

2 Likes

Asking the real questions!

Sadly, odd as it is, the launcher probably won’t change or go away for a while I’d guess. There must be many people who own Bethesda titles who don’t have an Xbox account (if they even allow account linking to have your Bethesda titles available through Game Pass) or won’t want to link the two, or who don’t even have XGP.

1 Like
3 Likes

Hoping so, I hadn’t had time to get to that yet.

2 Likes

Make sure you give it a whirl if it stays. Best current gen game in Bethesda stable IMO. I finished it 3 times and loved every second.

4 Likes

A little late to this party, but this is huge!

3 Likes

Another good thing is that I believe Microsoft will be pressuring BGW to get Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI out the door now…

3 Likes

While everyone is pretty impressed by the “hugeness” of it all, it is worth noting that this is still a planned acquisition at this point. Due to the size and value of the deal and it’s potential impact on shareholders of both companies, an announcement in advance is warranted.

Microsoft Corp. said Monday it plans to acquire ZeniMax Media Inc., owner of the storied video-game publisher Bethesda Softworks, for $7.5 billion in cash, marking its biggest video game purchase ever.

Microsoft expects the deal to close in the second half of its fiscal year 2021, which ends June 30.

There’s still a lot of regulatory and anti-competition hurdles to get through before the “has bought” in the topic title becomes technically correct.

How this timeline will impact the addition of Bethesda titles to XGP and the like I’m not sure, but hopefully the “intercompany relationship building” will be evident to us pretty quickly.

4 Likes

Also, if MS could just go ahead now and also please pick up Take-Two, and maybe CD Projekt Red too, that would be great.

3 Likes

Fuck no that would be terrible.

I doubt CDPR would ever go for it. They are too consumer friendly.

/

It seems in the wake of this news people seem to have forgotten how anti-consumer Bethesda has been of late. Look at Fallout 76 and the whole First Survivor nonsense as an example. Will this change under MS or did they see this as an opportunity to make some more money on the back of those practices? I am genuinely just curious to see what happens. Not trying to throw shade on MS because “Sony for life” or whatever. This sale does not affect me, I have a PC and the only current Bethesda game I want to play is Doom Eternal.

5 Likes

I agree, if it aint broke don’t fix it.

4 Likes

Whilst in the UK I read a very good opinion piece on how MS will probably lose the next Gen (PS5, XBX) console war in terms of sales, but going forward Microsoft has a long term plan to own the cloud gaming space.
Console sales apparently barely pull in any profit, it’s the subscription services which are the future for profits.
The prediction is that this might be the last console with a focus on its hardware, the future will be cloud gaming and MS has put themselves in a great position for the next era.

That being said, the timing of MS’s announcement is perfect. A lot of people have saved up to be the first to own a next Gen console, the uncertainty of whether Bethesda will release on PS or not could snag them a good couple of extra subscriptions along with console sales.

In my humble opinion, MS will not make all Bethesda games exclusive, maybe timed releases, but the profit from game sales is way to big to look away from. MS, looks at the bottom line and don’t care how they obtain that profit, but as long as the bottom line is healthy they happy.

If Bethesda becomes exclusive, at least you PS boys have Spider-Man and Ratchet and Clank.
(Sorry, after years of abuse from PS fan boys, that felt so good.)

3 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

I’m surprised that no one has pointed out the fact that this is all just a means to an end, the end being having Skyrim available on every device possible. Now with xcloud we can all play Skyrim on our phones too!

4 Likes
4 Likes

Ah, they can continue re-releasing Skyrim 9 years later.

4 Likes