Minecraft - the best selling game of all time

Cross-platform play with Windows 10, Windows 11, Xbox, Mobile, Switch, and PlayStation 4.

But there is no tick in the Xbox column on that matrix :thinking:

Very valid point, coming from PS I imagine you would need it.

2 Likes

You can host on Ubuntu as well. I didnā€™t read through entirely, so Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m missing a caveat, but it looks pretty straightforward. If I find time on Thursday, Iā€™ll try to set one up on my machine, but I donā€™t want to host permanently as itā€™s a pretty unstable server right now.

2 Likes

The question is, did I get the bedrock edition on my PC account :sweat: I heard they arenā€™t doing a free ā€˜upgradeā€™ anymore, and I still havenā€™t changed my mojang account to a MS oneā€¦

1 Like

Hmm, this looks promising

https://hub.docker.com/r/itzg/minecraft-bedrock-server

1 Like

Good find. I quickly set up a demo container from that link, so if anyone can try to log in itā€™ll tell us if its working.

URL is mine.wolfbear.co.za. I think it defaults to a survival map.

EDIT: Iā€™m remoting in to my pc to test what I can. Under the friends tab, a server popped up immediately. I think thatā€™s my server being picked up on the LAN, but I canā€™t be sure. I managed to spawn in, and Iā€™m confident itā€™s not a map on the local machine. Trying to add my server to the server list, though, does not work using either the LAN IP address or the URL, possible because Iā€™m inside the network and itā€™s not resolving correctly.

4 Likes

If it is still up over lunch, Iā€™ll check from my PS4.

1 Like

Iā€™ll keep it up until Thursday or so, unless someone else can put a better, more stable one up.

2 Likes

If this works, Iā€™ll set one up on a server in a data center :wink:

3 Likes

Whelp, I do need PS+ to joinā€¦

If anyone sees any black friday deals for subs, please let me know!

2 Likes

Eek! I forgot to try this out last night, my apologies @Avatar, I will try remember tonight and provide feedback if this solutions works on Xbox.

2 Likes

Okay, I have no option (that I can find) to input a server address in order to join. Perhaps thatā€™s only applicable to java edition?

1 Like

Looks like maybe you need to pick one of the pre-defined ones to get the server list where you can add a custom URL

Not sure what the DNS stuff has to do with anything thoughā€¦ Might be worth a shot. The video is over a year old thoughā€¦

Edit: Looks like there might be something to itā€¦

Another option is to maybe add each otherā€™s gamertags?

1 Like

Oh waitā€¦ Whatā€™s this?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s seems totally bizarre way to connect to a specific server. Iā€™ll see if I can try it later, once power is restored.

2 Likes

Iā€™m actually really curious what the actual lookups are. Might even be a way to do static entries :thinking:

Actually, I didnā€™t see if you need to leave the DNS setting after youā€™ve added the new server, maybe its a once off and you can change it back.

1 Like

Yeah, I tried last night once power was restored and according to your provided links. I neglected to change my DNS settings as I saw this to be a moot point and thus irrelevant, that being said, when clicking ā€œjoinā€ it attempts and connects to the server selected and does not provide an option for specific input.

I could try inputting Google DNS (8.8.8.8) though I donā€™t see that making any difference.

2 Likes

That 104ā€¦ DNS server is absolutely necessaryā€¦

More info here

It seems to have to do with the featured server list.

I tried the 104 address on my PS4 and it wouldnā€™t do squat, then the link I just posted says ā€œMay be blocked on PS4ā€. I was hoping itā€™d get around the need for PS+, butā€¦

There are a few alternate DNS servers there, but since the source is available, no reason I couldnā€™t set up my own shrug

1 Like

Tha ks, will try again tonight once power is restored, again.

2 Likes

This time I wIas presented with an option to specify a server address but when attempting to connect I simply get an ā€œunable to connectā€ message.

2 Likes

Might need to do the gamertag friend list thing thenā€¦

If we can get the consoles to connect, Iā€™d love to try and set up a java server with that bedrock connect geyser plug-in so I could play from my PC AND PS4 :slight_smile: (if PS+ goes on sale in the next week)

1 Like