Music and songs that make games epic

The soundtrack of a game is incredibly important, and many games sport some epic soundtracks. But sometimes a game has that one song that completely transforms the game, either during a mission, or a certain cutscene.

So my question to you is, what has been the song or piece of music that made a game more epic? Either making you feel like a better badass in-game, tugging at your heartstrings, or filling you with a serene sense of wonder.

There are a few games and songs that stand out for me.

Firstly it will be the field burning mission in Far Cry 3. When Skrillex & Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley - Make It Bun Dem started playing, holy hell that was probably the best highlight of the game for me.

I also want to mention Civilization 4’s Baba Yeto by Christopher Tin. I think that game made me play more hours in the game that the actual gameplay.

6 Likes

Brutal Legend is really one long music video.

One of the CoD’s (Black Ops 1? 2?) used Sympathy For The Devil by the Rolling Stones, which instantly set the Vietnam War scene for me.

I’m off to go listen to Baba Yeto now.

4 Likes

I’ve thought of another one!

Rage Against The Machine - Guerrilla Radio from THPS 2 was the first time I listened to Rage Against The Machine, and it was awesome! I would restart levels just to get that song playing, and I always got high scores on maps when it played.

5 Likes

Mass Effect has an incredible soundtrack as well. I find it really immersive, especially in #1.

1 Like

Nier Automata probably has my favourite soundtrack ever, but this song in particular is just epic.

In context:

2 Likes

The ost for heroes of might and magic 3 still has to be the best.

Painkillers was also up there.
Command and conquer red alert 1 and 2 and tiberian sun with firestorm.
Doom 1 and 2 and the recent dooms.
Unreal tournament 1 and 2004. Wow 2004 that was so long ago I feel old.

2 Likes

Ooh I haven’t thought about Painkiller in a long time but yeah, that soundtrack was great. I agree with UT and Doom as well. So nostalgic.

1 Like

Papa Roach had a track on there that did the same.

1 Like

Need for Speed Underground 2 also had some Epic music. When I close my eyes I can still see myself changing the spinners or NOS color on my car.

3 Likes

I can still hear Riders of the Storm every time I see or think about NFSU2. That game was epic and the score was great.

3 Likes

This is my favourite one

1 Like

I liked this game, but I forgot how good the soundtrack was. I’ve just started now, and it’s incredible!

1 Like

The first one is just as good, this is something I use to fall asleep too, I find it extremely relaxing, and now I want to play all the games again!

1 Like

Tony Hawk had good tunes too

2 Likes

This is from Control, and this gameplay segment hits hard and heavy with this song.

1 Like

Godsmack - I Stand Alone from PoP Warrior Within is one of my all time favourites

2 Likes

The fear it induced as the music would start and you knew that the Dahaka was coming!

2 Likes

Gives us the goosebumps just thinking about it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes