My ISP is throttling my download speeds, right?

I recently took a new package from my ISP for higher speeds, they advertise it as a 5mbps service. I noticed that my downloads were really slow so I set out to run some tests and to view/control all the possible variables that can slow down internet speed. The question is, what exactly are they doing to achieve this?

If I start a download of a file (1gb) it downloads and it peaks very quickly at 600kbs (5mbps) after a minute it starts ticking down and bottoms out at 250kbs after 2 minutes, and there it stays.

I ran an EU VPN and got same result. I also checked my network traffic on my router and my PC showed the only traffic during this time.

This means my download is throttled right? Any of the normal speed tests are fooled because it works for the relatively short speed test duration.

Just to put this into perspective: I live extremely remotely, there is no ADSL and no Fibre available here. There is also no cell internet connection other then Edge available here either. The ISP has set up radio towers that relays internet to us from a location that has ADSL. This means, there is basically nothing else I can use.

1 Like

If this happens with all downloads from all sites then yes. If it’s from one specific site it could just be a terrible server.

1 Like

It’s not necessarily throttling. Download speeds are typically affected by latency and packet loss. So if your line quality is relatively poor, you could experience speeds much lower than the theoretical line rate.

Also, given your last mile connection is wireless, you will be at the mercy of whatever bandwidth sharing mechanism is implemented by the wireless hub. The service provider could also be overselling the capacity, i.e. they buy one ADSL and then resell that to multiple end users to make more money.

1 Like

What I find interesting is that it consistently downloads at the top speed, no matter what I download for 2 minutes then drops to half that value.

1 Like

This can be normal, is this for all downloads from any site?

1 Like

Yes and through VPN and torrents as well. I am also downloading a game through a game launcher and it is doing the same.

1 Like

Hit https://fast.com/ while connected to the VPN and after disconnecting from the VPN

Also run https://projectstream.google.com/speedtest

1 Like

Both tests are too short term to show the issue

1 Like

Just an update on this: they have confirmed that they shape all traffic after 2 minutes of usage to half the speed advertised. They straight up just told me. Here is their contract and prices:

This is just SUCH bullshit, I am so angry with them but I have no other option for internet, none.

2 Likes

After 2 minutes? WTAF?! What sort of arbitrary bullshit is that? Why 2 minutes? I’d cancel that contract purely on principle.

I know you said you live very remotely, but where exactly? And who is your cellphone provider that you get EDGE signal with? Maybe consider banding together a couple of neighbours and local schools/clinics/government offices on the same network and petitioning the cell company to try get your signal boosted to 3G/4G levels? Or look into cell signal boosters for yourself. If you could get better cell coverage then maybe a data-only solution from someone like Rain becomes an option.

The only other alternative I can think of for is a VSAT system, but that’s fekkin expensive.

2 Likes

Wow this is BS.
Thought it might be due to FUP or something like that. But they advertise that there is no FUP.
Does this happen beginning of the month, the end or does it not matter?

2 Likes

Still testing that. I suspect it might be an undisclosed softcap on usage. So if I, for example, have hit 200gb so far then they shape.

They don’t want to tell me if that is the case, probably because that is even more a FUP.

2 Likes

Sounds like a isp who has oversubscribed and doesn’t actually have sufficient bandwidth

3 Likes