My Precious! The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

Play as Gollum on his quest to retrieve his Precious. You will need to climb the mountains of Mordor, sneak around Mirkwood and make difficult choices. Who will gain the upper hand: the cunning Gollum or the innocent Smeagol?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/the-lord-of-the-rings-gollum/
3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a good stealth game, but I’m not sure about this. There’s something odd about the way it looks maybe? I’d be happy if it ends up being a sleeper hit though!

Also, excuse me?

2 Likes

It’s a standard “Shh!”, but in a Gollum accent. :smiley:

I’m also wait-and-seeing. Not that I pre-order anything (at least lately) but it always concerns me when there are no pre-release reviews out for a big title. Or there’s a review embargo in place until the release.

Either way, if reviews are decent enough, I may consider looking at picking it up on the Epic Sale with the bonus 25% off coupon which should take it from R499 to R375.

2 Likes

Reviews are looking very rough

https://twitter.com/MauroNL3/status/1661646699582849024?s=20

Lord of the Rings: Gollum Reviews

6.5/10 - TechRaptor
6/10 - Shacknews
5.5/10 - Try Hard Guides
5/10 - But Why Tho?
4/10 - We Got This Covered
4/10 - Gamer Escape
4/10 - GGRecon
3/10 - Twinfinite
3/10 - Inverse
3/10 - PCGamesN
3/10 - WellPlayed
2/10 - The Guardian

2 Likes

Oof. Those are some horrendous numbers.

37 - 43 on metacritic
The Lord of the Rings - Gollum - Metacritic

39% critic average on OpenCritic
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum Reviews - OpenCritic

Scored Reviews

TechRaptor - 6.5 / 10
Nexus Hub - 6.5 / 10
Shacknews - 6 / 10
Try Hard Guides - 5.5 / 10
God is a Geek - 5 / 10
Spaziogames - 5 / 10
But Why Tho? - 5 / 10
IGN Spain - 4 / 10
We Got This Covered - 2 / 5
Gamer Escape - 4 / 10
GGRecon - 2 / 5
Twinfinite - 1.5 / 5
PCGamesN - 3 / 10
Press Start - 3 / 10
Inverse - 3 / 10
WellPlayed - 3 / 10
GameSpot - 2 / 10
Push Square - 2 / 10
PowerUp! - 2 / 10

Those are worse numbers than Redfall had.

It was always going to be tough to pull off a Gollum game, but there’s simply nothing precious about this amateur stealth adventure. A general lack of refinement lurks in every shadowy corner of LotR: Gollum, a game disappointingly barren of interesting ideas or substantial gameplay. Even the most loyal Lord of the Rings fans will struggle through it. If you value your time, do yourself a favour and avoid it like the Eye of Sauron.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum is a broken mess of a game. There are barely any redeeming qualities to be found amidst what can only be described as a massive missed opportunity. There is some serious potential in a single-player linear Lord of the Rings experience like this, but with outrageously dated level design, clunky controls, a severe lack of polish, muddy and unimpressive graphics, and a dull story, Gollum completely misses the mark.

:frowning_face:

2 Likes

Firs big failure disappointment for the year?

3 Likes

Did you miss Redfall or something? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Stealth fans should rather stick with the Styx games then, which are pretty good.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Daedalic’s mea culpa message and promise to fix things. Based on the things I’ve seen and read, I’m wondering if it even is saveable.

2 Likes

Guess it was inevitable. They do claim that they will continue to support and improve TLOTR: Gollum, but that remains to be seen…

2 Likes

Such a shame.

2 Likes