New World (Amazon's MMO)

With the release date just about 2 months away. Who here is planning to play close to day 0?
What other thoughts do you have on this new shiny hypetrain game?

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of MMO’s but it does look interesting.

1 Like

I think I have outgrown MMO’s I just cant seem to enjoy them

1 Like

They are still front and center of my gaming life ;-). I find the connections made with people in them make the game last much longer than a normal non massively multiplayer game.

3 Likes

Me! So keen for it. Been tracking it for (seems like) ages now. Been on my Steam Wishlist pretty much since the listing went live there. Am hoping to have collected enough Discovery Vitality steam vouchers by mid-July to go Pre-Order and get into the Closed Beta in its second week (Closed Beta runs from 20 July - 02 August), IF the reports and streams (the Beta is not under NDA) I see in the first week look okay.

2 Likes

Did not know this existed. Also the first thing I saw when I checked the “media” section was, “yep that’s an MMO” All MMO’s have the same screenshots these days. XD

I might give it has a free to play model, and it is interesting enough, although with me going trough all the Mass Effect games, an MMO RPG will be last on my list of genres to play at the moment.

2 Likes

A Deep Dive into New World with Game Director Scott Lane and other New World devs. A quick Q&A session at the end with Geoff Keighly as well.

2 Likes

Closed beta for pre-orders starts tomorrow (Tuesday 20th July) night at 18:30. If you have pre-ordered then the NW beta should be showing in your steam library, if not, check your hidden game list.

Personally I will download it to see how I can get it from someone else, I want to see the performance on my machine and how much the ping screws things up. Other than that, not going to play it much on purpose. I like being invested in a character and having one whiped does not appeal to me.

The beta is until the 2nd August

4 Likes

@GregRedd The beta download is up, a day ahead of schedule, probably a preload.

1 Like

I’m so close to clicking the Add to Cart button, but I’m resisting. Wednesday hopefully will bring enough of a Vitality Points boost to get me another R80 voucher and then I’ll be aces. :crossed_fingers:

And so? Have you had a chance to have a look?

Currently 35 gig downloaded of 37 into day 2 of the download. I expect I should be able to take a look maybe tonight (I hear the queues are nasty), probably tomorrow is a better bet for when it is finished. I am assuming the full game will be more like 70+ gigs.

1 Like

Download complete. Now the true test, I must work while it is begging me to try it out.

I will be strong, at least until lunch time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Played for about 10 minutes, put the graphics to max and it was pretty stable at 50fps until other people enter the viewable area then it drops and stutters a bit. Will play with settings at some point.

Ping to EU server was 250-260 and the combat was doable, I did notice that blocking something on a combat tell from the NPC was not really possible at that ping, dodging is, so it must time it different on the server side.

You could see the ping lag on animations like jumping etc, it is a little disconcerting when the animation sort of cancels half way but I can live with it.

No PVP for me with that ping but that is fine, was not planning to be a pvper anyways.

Graphically, wow, just wow. Music and environmental effects, amazing!

TONS of exploring to do, lots of gathering.

One thing to get used to: no minimap, more an ESO/elder scrolls/witcher like indicator at the top showing the direction of land marks.

I cannot bring myself to play more than that. The game is so immersive that I am tempted to immerse myself but I refuse. I want to be invested in character, environment and everything and not do it and lose it all before launch.

So far I am happy with buying it :wink:

3 Likes

BEWARE! THE GAME IS KILLING RTX 3090 CARDS!!! :joy:

4 Likes

Ok, I have decided I need to play the game some more to at least see how magic casting combat works and if that is doable at our ping.

I also want to try the South American and Asia Pacific servers and see how their ping looks.

2 Likes

3080s and 3090s. If I had one and an alpha bricked it, I’d be very, very sad. And angry. I’d need to be very, very rich beforehand though, so there is that.

2 Likes

I played some more, got me the 3 magic weapons and had a blast. The magic is fun, it also helps that the ice gauntlet allows you to put an ice turret down.

The healing is interesting, the game autotargets anyone close to you and you cycle through them with the mouse scroller to land the heal, or use ctrl to hit yourself. It helps in a lagged environment.

EU has the best ping the asia and south america are really bad.

There is a LOT of exploration and lore in the game, all of which I ignored in my hour or so play time

Thats it for me in the game. Now anxiously awaiting the release.

3 Likes

That has to be a design flaw. How is code running on a stock 3090, going to ignore the over/under voltage failsafes. You can literally hit failsafes, by overclocking. Card cuts power. Power cycle the card, it goes back to normal. Works fine. Blame should sit with manufacturer and nvidia.

3 Likes

Stop being so rational, grab a pitchfork, and blame the game!

3 Likes