Not Worth the Hype

This topic was inspired by the following meme:

Which game got you all hyped up and then when came to release it was not that great, or you found it disappointing, or it was a complete disaster?

Also when did you realise that it wasn’t going to be all that it was hyped up to be? When it got delayed (again)? When you tried the open beta? On release? Or did it take a while for you to break through the denial?

The most recent example for me was Forza Motorsport. It was looking good from the previews and I was hopeful that it would be an enjoyable new casual sim. I had it installed from Game Pass and ready to go, but after release it soon became apparent that it wasn’t great. When I eventually decided to give it a try I was not impressed.

There’s been a number of big releases that have stumbled lately. Starfield, Cities Skylines 2… Skull and Bones (I doubt however that anyone was hyped for this though)

4 Likes

Anthem… DAMN! (insert Farooq here)

3 Likes

Diablo 4. I tempered my expectations after experiencing D3, hating the auction house era, and only getting back into it late into the seasonal content era. As such, I wasn’t disappointed by the first playthrough of Diablo 4, and I certainly don’t think it’s as bad as the internet would have you believe, but the longevity isn’t there yet.

3 Likes

Skull and Bones: have not played it but was hyped through its long development, now that it is out and the gameplay is described. Not for me.

3 Likes

Batman: Arkham Knight

1 Like

I was hopeful for Mass Effect: Andromeda, even EA forcing an engine change at the half way/2.5 year mark of development. I was thoroughly enjoying the multiplayer, but after 2 new maps and I think 1 new weapon, they pulled the plug, and dropped the Quarian DLC… All because they had a terrible release that could have been prevented with a release delay of a month or two… But then (IMHO), BioWare execs wouldn’t have gotten their launch-on-time bonuses, which to be fair, was borked over by the engine change…

2 Likes