Nvidia Super RTX cards have surfaced

Wootware has them listed, but I’m not sure how accurate those prices are. It makes no sense for the pre-discount price of the 2060 Super and 2070 Super to be the same.

https://www.wootware.co.za/computer-hardware/video-cards-video-devices/shopby/geforce_rtx_2070_super

https://www.wootware.co.za/computer-hardware/video-cards-video-devices/shopby/geforce_rtx_2060_super

Reviews are a bit muted; pricing is decent compared to the existing product portfolio, but the performance leap isn’t spectacular. The short version is: The RTX 2080 and Radeon VII have both been rendered pointless. Value from our perspective will of course depend on where these cards end up price-wise in Randsies.

3 Likes

I feel that the purpose of the Super range is mostly to keep AMD out of the competition. Just when AMD is about to launch some new cards that might bring some competition Nvidia brings out a new line that beats them out at a similar price point.

It’s a bit frustrating from a consumer point of view but one can understand Team Green wanting to hold onto their dominance of the GPU market.

2 Likes

Spot on. The only real point of the timing of this launch is to steal attention from Navi. I said after the AMD announcement that the RX 5700 cards in my view are too expensive for the stated performance, so they might get price cuts quite quickly, now even more so. Either way, more performance at lower prices is a win for the consumer, but these cards are overkill for (probably) the majority of us.

1 Like

It’s up to AMD to come up with either cards with much better pricing or better performance. They basically need to do a ryzen for gpu’s. Their problem is ofc that nvidia in terms of performance improvements haven’t been sleeping like Intel was.

2 Likes

Maybe not sleeping, but they did take a nap. The Pascal 10 series was out for 2 years before the current Turing GPUs.

1 Like

Agreed, GPU performance maybe didn’t stagnate to the same extent, but prices have gone through the roof. They used to release a generational upgrade of about 20-30% in performance for about the same price that the previous card launched at, maybe slightly higher. With Turing, you would need to pay 50% more for that type of upgrade coming from Pascal. Just compare the price jump from the GTX960 to the 1060, for example, to the jump from the 1060 to the 2060.

1 Like

Pricing has gone through the roof because Nvidia can pretty much price what they want with no real pressure from AMD and Intel till a year of from their GPU.

Don’t think there is an argument that nvidia does a good job as far as pricing goes.

Intel was stuck on 8 cores for an absolute age and we would still be there if AMD didn’t introduce ryzen. All Intel offered was incremental speed bumps.

Nvidia has pushed us forward with ray tracing and dlls. Sure not everyone wants it or is ready for it but doesn’t change the fact that it is progress.

1 Like

Fixed that for you.

I don’t dispute the progress (although DLSS has been proven to be utterly useless), however, it forces everyone to pay for features they don’t want in order to get a faster GPU that also does the regular stuff.

Looks like Super had the desired effect, at least from a consumer viewpoint.

3 Likes

Let the price wars begin

3 Likes

May they be long and bloody.