Oculus launches new Quest

In an announcement today, Facebook announced the new Oculus Quest VR device.

The new VR device comes with a bump in internal specs and better lenses, promising better quality display at up to 90Hz refresh rate. The resolution goes up to 1832x1900.

What makes the Quest an appealing device is the fact that you don’t need to plug it into a PC, as it will run VR games off of its own internal processing power. It has a Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 processor and 6GB of RAM with options of either 64GB or 256GB storage. The battery only lasts about 2 to 3 hours depending on the game being played.

What makes this even more special is the price. For $299, this make it one of the cheaper VR options on the market. No word yet on whether or not it’ll come to SA or what the price will be, but with lockdown level 1 and more imports, potentially we won’t see extremely high prices. And importing it will always be an option

You can also plug the Quest 2 into a PC and stream games to the device, making it a full fledge VR device much like its Rift older brother, albeit with lower resolution.

For the first time a VR device peaked my interest, and at this price it’s starting to become a real viable option as a separate peripheral. Hopefully we’ll see local traders stock this when it launches 13 October 202.

2 Likes

Crap. Now I want one. I’ll wait to see what local pricing is like. I’m dying to get into some VR sim racing, sim flying or sim space-faring.

1 Like

Well with the Xbox Series S being $299 and retailing in SA for R6999 it’s a good bet to see the price somewhere close to that. But then again with import costs and whatnot that may increase drastically.

I’m betting for a R9-10k price on it. Still, more affordable than most current VR headsets…

It’s crazy to think that I paid under R6000 or around there in 2017 when I bought my Oculus Rift. The rand was better, there was a special of $100 off at Amazon and because there was a shipping delay they waived the shipping and import costs.

Now everything’s so damn expensive.