Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 – The Official Video Game

With a Third Wave of Covid racing around the world, and very few vaccinations happening in Japan, probably the safest way to experience the delayed Tokyo 2020 Games is virtually. Sadly, I don’t think the official video game of the 2020 Games is going to satisfy anyone’s need for digital sports action, nor get very high on the medal table. In fact, the only gold medal it looks like getting is Gold for Mediocre.

The SEGA made and published game is being released today for PC, Switch, PlayStation, and Xbox. With costumes, decor, and character modifications galore, the game doesn’t take itself too seriously, which could provide a good bit of fun. Athletics as astronaut anyone?

Maybe soccer in jeans, leather jacket, and flat cap is more your thing?

The two biggest gripes I’ve seen on the game’s Steam Store Page (where it’s currently rated at 62% positive from just 32 reviewers) so far are that the game is a poor port to PC; and that the content included for the $40 price tag is lacking. With just 18 events included, there is a growing concern that more sports may be added later as equally overpriced DLC.

That those 18 events include 3 track athletics events, 2 field athletics events, and 2 swimming events, so (generously keeping track and field separate) there’s really only 14 sports represented in the game:

100m 110m Hurdles 4 x 100 m Relay
Long Jump Hammer Throw 100m Freestyle
200m Individual Medley Basketball Table Tennis
Boxing Judo Baseball
Tennis Football Rugby Sevens
Sport Climbing Beach Volleyball BMX

There also seems to some launch hiccups with the Online Co-op matchmaking and servers for the few events that can be played with a partner. Like table tennis, where silly costumes look to be banned.

Store pages for all 4 platforms are up, and at R629 across the board, sales are going to be slow in South Africa, I think. My opinion, if you are interested in the game for the sports it has, wait a while until after the Games happen. That way you’ll be able to see if there are in fact any DLC coming, and hopefully it will go on deep discount soon after the Games end.

In case you can’t resist:

https://store.playstation.com/en-za/product/EP0177-CUSA17229_00-MUSASHI000000000

3 Likes

When (if?) the 2020 Tokyo Olympics do actually happen in a month’s time, I’ll move this topic out of “Gaming” and into “Sport” so that we can use it for the real event too - there’ll probably be a little more interest in the actual events than in the game :smiley:

Tokyo 2020 - YouTube | @Tokyo2020 - Twitter

2 Likes

Looks like something that may be fun to play with the family on the Xbox when it comes to Game Pass

3 Likes

Is there like a multiplayer thing to it? Can we have a MEWlympics?

1 Like

Could be fun, but definitely only once it goes on heavy sale. From my initial research it seems like there’s only online co-op, but I will go investigating for more info on more multiplayer play. I definitely did see something about “Global Leaderboards” so I’d guess there’s at least some form of league tables and friends leagues.

2 Likes

Of course yes.

1 Like