Quake Champions

Quake Champions is now free to play and I would highly recommend that you give it a try.

I started playing it a few days ago since I had grabbed a copy when it was offered for free on Steam - now everyone can jump in for free. I started playing because I was really feeling like playing a pacy deathmatch shooter and I honestly can’t believe how good Quake Champions feels to play!

It’s the old school, bunny hopping and fragging that we all fell in love with years ago wrapped in the trappings of modern games. Unlockables, different heroes, and all the usual F2P stuff - BUT don’t let that put you off. The developers have actually done a great job in balancing the the 2 different approaches.

The gameplay is pure Quake action and the different hero abilities are fun and interesting but at the same time don’t replace the reliance on twitch shooting and keeping the momentum going. The addition of a progression system in terms of cosmetic unlocks and new champions gives you something to work towards as you play match after match.

The only downside is the low player numbers - but that is also a consequence of a good thing, which is local servers. Quake is a game that needs low latency so it’s great that we have local servers. Hopefully with the game being F2P now we’ll see more people joining in and we can fill pvp games and not have to play bot matchups all the time.

I gave it a bash during the initial free period. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, but the servers were dead. I ended up waiting anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes for a match to fill up… Until they have a larger player base for the game I won’t be returning soon.

I think I remember jumping on a server during the initial free period with a few guys from mygaming. Kept on getting fragged by @MetalSoup :rage:

Hopefully with the full F2P release we’ll see more players online. It’s the usual South African problem - either we have to endure the high latency to Europe and have a large enough player base. Or we get local servers but a miniscule playerbase.

Twitch shooters are definitely his thing!

Are you sure that wasn’t Quake Live? I don’t think I’ve ever been able to play a proper game of Quake Champions, it usually doesn’t even want to load for me.