Racing Wheel Recommendations

So, with the generous payout I’m getting from SARS this tear, I decided to spoil myself and make driving sims more fun. Being the over analytical person I am, I can’t seem to settle on a driving wheel + pedals combo. The obvious 2 brands are Logitech and Thrustmaster. From what I’ve read, the Logitech has a terrible notchiness to the driving, due to it being gear instead of belt driven. The pedals and force feedback on the Logitech side seem to fare better again.

So this is starting to drive me insane. Which brand and model should I go for? I’m not breaking the bank going for Fanatec, so I’d prefer to keep costs as low as possible, while maximizing my racing fun. I probably won’t venture to full sim, but you never know?

1 Like

What are your platforms? PC, PlayStation or Xbox

1 Like

Well you’ve come to the right place, there’s a fair variety of wheels used by all the racers here.

The only contribution I can make is that Logitech makes very reliable and long lasting equipment if Greg’s old Driving Force GT that I have is anything to go by. It still works really well despite being over 10 years old.

2 Likes

Only PC. So it seems like most options would work.

2 Likes

Yep. I know this forum has pretty much turned to a dedicated Sim Racing community. Hence the reason I asked here specifically. Besides, I know some people here IRL, so the recommendations would be that much more credible than some random Redditors.

2 Likes

Logitech G29 / G920 is comparable to the Thrustmaster T300 range.
If you look at T300, you want a model with the 3 pedal set (T3PA) included, NOT the 2 pedal set. Which means, you’re looking at the T300RS GT. Also, if you do go Thrustmaster, be aware, not all of the wheels can change the wheel rim.

G29 peak torgue was measured at 2.2Nm, the last time i checked
T300 peak torgue is somwhere between 3 and 3.9Nm.
That all said, it doesn’t matter a jot how much peak, it’s actually about fidelity and how well the FFB has been calibrated per game. Quite frankly, you’d enjoy both, because this is your first wheel. If there’s anything to take home here about FFB, G29 has a notchy feel, the T300 has a smoother feel (which after age, can come with belt stretching)

G29: 900 degrees rotation vs T300 1080 degrees. I doubt this would matter to you either, and indeed would recommend that you ignore the difference.

Logitech G29
Pros:
Leather wheel feels like quality
Addons: H-Pattern Shifter
Software is good, support for game profiles
Works in linux

Cons:
No wheel rim changes
You can’t use a anything via a usb cable into your pc, you need to plugin extras into the wheel base, which then goes into the pc.
Because it doesn’t use the old logitech profiler software, they’ve dropped support for old games (before 2010 probably)

Thrustmaster T300
Pros:
Swappable wheels
No less than 5 addon wheel rims
Addons: H-Pattern Shifter, Sequential shifter, Handbrake
Everything can plug into pc directly via USB (though some need a converter)

Cons:
Wheel is rubber lined, which isn’t nice to the touch, after a 2 hour session of racing
Software is serviceable, but lacks profiles per game

Know that you can mix certain simracing addon between brands. There’s nothing wrong with buying the Logitech G29, getting the Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter and maybe their handbrake too. Heck, if you’re crazy enough, you could even unplug the G29 pedals, and use Thrustmaster pedals, but I skip that idea, at least until you get familiar with the simracing hardware space.

I would also recommend you don’t listen to reliability gripes from people, because moaner’s are the loudest. Make sure you’re guarantee/warranty is in place, buy local from a reputable shop, and if there is any problem, which I highly doubt there will be, you can deal with a local vendor if that time ever comes.

I’ve owned 5 Logitech wheels, and now i’m on a T300RS GT. I’ve broken a 2 logitech wheels, and one pedal on my T3PA. I’d say, it isn’t a manufacturing fault, and they last well past my warranty.

I purposefully didn’t comment on price, because the market’s prices are a shitshow at the moment. Ultimately, only you can decide what’s value for money.

5 Likes

Wow, thanks for the detailed feedback. This is indeed my first foray into racing wheels (ever). I can’t really seem to find the Thrustmaster products easily available, but Logitech is everywhere. So would the G-range be a bad idea fir a starter? And would the notchiness be noticeable and bug me soon?

2 Likes

Notchiness is noticeable, it’s whether you’ll like the feel or not. Perhaps, a try before you buy? Know anyone that’s nearby on the forum with a Logitech G2x wheel?

To be honest, I’ve had a G920 for over a year now, and while you feel the notchiness, it is much less then you think. The wheel feels great and between it and the Thrustmaster is the best entry level wheels. In fact I’d say it’s better than the thrustmaster. TM makes good wheels, but for the premium quality and feel you’ll have to look at the higher cost wheels, like the TS range or TMX. Those are rather expensive. The Logitech’s built quality is much better, and for a beginner with no real commitment to buy and upgrade wheel rims or pedals right now, it’s the perfect choice.

2 Likes

I went with the G920 because it works on both pc and XBox and it was the cheapest when I bought it. @oltman has a really nice Thrustmaster. Can’t remember which one.

1 Like

If I remember correctly he has the TS-XW or the TS-PC. Both are the top of the range Thrustmaster wheels with the best motors and feedback. In fact the TS range is very VERY similar to the entry level Fanatec systems. So he’s sorted for a long time.

2 Likes

Yes, I had the TX and then upgraded to the TS-XW. It also works on PC and XBOX.

I LOVE the wheel! It really is amazing! It is expensive though, and sometime think I overspent on a hobby.

I had loads of overheating issues with the TX, and it would lose force feedback the hotter it got. I see some people online had similar problems, but still a small percentage of people compared to their sales.

Funny you would say that! I want a Simucube! Maybe one day when I am grown up.

3 Likes

I think we all would love a direct drive system. But they are so expensive. I think my next wheel will be the same TS-XW as I believe it is the best wheel money can buy locally in SA. All the other wheels you’ll need to import if I’m not mistaken

2 Likes

The Thrustmaster products seem really hard to come by on online stores. So I guess the G29 would be the one to get for now, seeing as I don’t have a ‘box and only PC. Reviews seem to state the extra features and buttons of the G29 above the G920 are worth it.

Still, the Thrustmasters seemed quite appealing, even at entry level range.

3 Likes

I would say the extra buttons on the G29 are useful in a few games. I use them for easy adjustment of brake balance, fuel maps, and TC levels.

2 Likes

Can second this.

2 Likes

He’s doing it guys, we’ve ambushed another :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I’ve been looking for a wheel recently too (my MOMO is not compatible in Dirt 2.0) but the G29 seems to have gone up in price. It’s about R6k in most places and I can’t find any Thrustmasters anywhere. Let me know if there is someone who stocks them, though I can’t quite afford one yet.

1 Like

Is that the Logitech Momo? @Dragonic don’t you use a momo wheel with Dirt Rally 2.0?

2 Likes

Yeah the prices do see quite high. I guess we can blame it on the crippled economy and tanked currency. I’m still browsing around for decent prices though.

1 Like