Random Fact of the Day

I’m gonna try to do this daily. Just a little weird snippet of information for the day to sit in the back of your minds, to either make you think, giggle or appreciate.

Today’s fact:

Today is National Paper Airplane Day. It’s technically in the United States, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make a few to fly around the house in this cold weather.

6 Likes

How long did the flight to the moon take?

Apollo missions took about three days to reach the moon. But the quickest trip to the moon was the New Horizons probe, which zipped past the moon in just 8 hours 35 minutes on its way to Pluto. However, the spacecraft didn’t even slow down or approach lunar orbit.

4 Likes

The fingerprints of a koala are so indistinguishable from humans that they have on occasion been confused at a crime scene.

2 Likes

Which just begs the questions of just how often, and why, koalas are at crime scenes?

6 Likes

LEGO Used to Make Special Bricks for Architects

When Godtfred Kirk Christiansen, son of the LEGO founder, tried to make a Lego model of the house he was building, it didn’t come out to scale, because Lego bricks have a 5:6 width-to-height ratio. This led to the creation of Modulex, a much smaller brick that was based on perfect cubes, in 1963. Unfortunately, the bricks were discontinued in the 1970s.

2 Likes

Your Ears Can Actually Tell The Difference Between Hot And Cold Water

3 Likes

Are there really people who haven’t noticed that before??

1 Like

I might have noticed it sub consciously but not like now.

1 Like

Ya, I guess he covered that bit at the end of the video that I hadn’t gotten to yet…

I consciously notice it every time I turn on the hot water tap in the kitchen and wait for the cold water to be purged (if that’s the right word) from the pipes…

1 Like

The name for the shape of Pringles is called a ‘Hyperbolic Paraboloid’.

4 Likes

You been watching Gourmet Makes?

1 Like

Hehe nope just a random fact

1 Like

Did you know that the peanut is not a nut at all.
“Grondboontjie” better describes what it actually is.

5 Likes
1 Like

It would take 1,200,000 mosquitoes, each sucking once, to completely drain the average human of blood.

51dd7d3e69bedd5148000023

4 Likes

I fear that in St Lucia during the summer that might just be possible!

1 Like

You haven’t been to Manitoba. It’s our provincial bird

1 Like

The way you feel about spiders is the way I feel about mozzies.

2 Likes

Get one of these - they change your life

Today in 1949 George Orwell’s instruction manual “1984” is first published.

4 Likes