Random News Snippets & Articles

Thought we had something like this, but can’t find it - a Topic to pop any small snippets of news or stifles of interest that don’t necessarily warrant a dedicated topic of their own (yet) but are worth mentioning. If a story does grow into its own thread, we can easily move the related news posts from here. Feel free to add any form of news that you think might be interesting. This topic is not just for gaming and tech news.

4 Likes

Noticed two stories about big name stars getting attached to two upcoming television/movie-from-games projects:

Some of the names already attached to the Borderlands project are also pretty solid.

4 Likes

Not sure how I feel about Jack Black voicing Claptrap… And Kevin Hart? Eish…

2 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah, saw that too. Really silly of her considering that there was serious talk about giving her character a standalone series. I actually really liked her in The Mandalorian.

You would think by now that public figures would know better than to share their political opinions on social media. But this was just a firing waiting to happen. She took flak for her anti-mask posts last year already. And I’m sure there’ll be more coming out from her in the past.

3 Likes

Yea I have a feeling she was on a thin line as well, they were just waiting for a reason.

Also Spoiler warning if you follow this link

2 Likes

Well she proved that liberals will go all out to cancel anyone who disagrees with them.

2 Likes

5o be honest I think Jack would make an awesome Marcus

2 Likes

Free speech? What is this thing? Is that not the sad looking extinct stuffed animal I saw in the basement of the American political history museum?

3 Likes

+1 for freedom of speech. Big time.

But, my point was simply that people (all people, but especially people with a public platform) seem to forget, or are simply ignorant of the fact, that together with their right to freedom of expression comes an allied responsibility not to offend or cause harm.

Importantly also is the fact that so many of these folks now bleating about being censored and cancelled seem wholly ignorant of the principle of consequence.

Words have consequences. If I post something to my Facebook page that suggests I think Afrikaaners are generally silly, mostly racist and homophobic, and all smell a little weird, and my Afrikaans mates stop inviting me around for braais, can I really start whining like some aggrieved snowflake that they’re cancelling me? If I happened to be employed by an Afrikaans-owned business, and work with many Afrikaaners every day, can I really act surprised when I get overlooked for a promotion and uninvited to the weekly Action Cricket event?

Say what you want. But stop with the idiotic outrage when the reaction to what you say goes badly for you. If you can’t work out what, when and where to say things, that’s on you, not me.

If you suggest, on a social media platform, that global warming is a fallacy and that a secretive Jewish family owns space lasers that are used to start wildfires, please don’t cry foul when i publicly laugh at you and call you an idiot. Consequence.

7 Likes

Personally, I couldn’t care less about what any actor spews online, or if they beat their SO, or whatever… I mean, if Disney didn’t employ complete dickheads, they wouldn’t be around… This seems to be more of a situation of “don’t get caught”.

I completely agree that words have consequences. I’m not on anyone’s side in all this, but I will certainly reconsider subbing to Disney+ IF it is ever available here.

2 Likes

I’m currently subbed through SurfShark VPN… Well worth it - much better so than Netflix at this point in time.

1 Like

Reading The Hollywood Reporter’s story, she had been quietly dismissed and dropped from the spin-off Rangers of the New Republic series before her insensitive holocaust comments.

I suspect Disney dropped her as a result of her anti-mask, anti-vaccination, and voter fraud comments. My interpretation: Because it was simply a matter of Carano’s way of expressing her views not aligning with Disney’s values, they were happy to do it quietly rather than publicly distance themselves from Carano.

Personally, I don’t mind if your conspiracy theories are harmless, but when you’re in a position of influence supporting conspiracy theories that will lead to people’s deaths is a problem. (I’ll grant you that perhaps people may not have understood what the outcome of fuelling the U.S. voter fraud conspiracy might have led to.)

A lot has been made of Carano’s transphobic utterances on Twitter—i.e. poking fun at people who put their pronouns in their bios—but I saw something in an article about how she apologised publicly for that after a conversation with Pedro Pascal (the star of Mandalorian). For full context, Pedro Pascal’s sibling has come out as trans.

“He helped me understand why people were putting them in their bios. I didn’t know before but I do now. I won’t be putting them in my bio but good for all you who choose to. I stand against bullying, especially the most vulnerable & [support] freedom to choose,” Variety reported Carano as saying.

For what it’s worth, I have also decided not to put my pronouns in my Twitter bio because I am not remotely qualified to speak on trans issues and don’t want to inject myself into a conversation I have no business being in.

What about Carano’s Nazi/holocaust remarks, then? Some are characterising it as the “straw that broke the camel’s back”, but they’ve got the wrong straw and the wrong camel.

For context, here is what she wrote (it has since been deleted):

Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?

I’m not going to argue the extremely poor logic employed in this statement for the moment, let alone why it is insensitive. While I think I know what point Carano wanted to make, this proclivity from people to reach for Nazism as an analogy is lazy, inaccurate, and repulsive. This happens on the liberal/left side as well and it is really bad for the U.S. and global political discourse in general.

When everything is literally Hitler or compared to Nazism, you strip those comparisons of any punch or meaning they might have.

The point I want to make is that this statement didn’t push Disney to fire Carano, based on The Hollywood Reporter’s article. It caused Disney to make a public statement and disclose that Carano was no longer working for Lucasfilm.

The camel and straw here was Disney’s silence. It sounds like Cara Dune just wouldn’t have been back in the next season of The Mandalorian, allowing Carano and Disney to quietly part ways.

Here’s an alternate view, which I thought showed the hypocrisy of the conservative side as well.

https://twitter.com/Teh_Snowflake/status/1359939524122533889 (I’m pretty sure the Tweeter lifted this meme from someone else.)

(Click to enlarge)

2 Likes

Very cool! It’s really amazing how many Hollywood careers Game of Thrones has kicked off.

When I saw his name I was like, ‘surely they didn’t cast Hart as Roland?’

But then (dramatic guinea pig dundunduuuuun.mp4): “while Hart is portraying a skilled soldier named Roland”…

I object! I demand Chiwetel Ejiofor! Or Idris Elba! Or even John Boyega if they want someone younger…

That said… Maybe this is a Henry Cavill / Geralt situation where Hart loved Borderlands and Roland so much that he lobbied hard for the role and he’ll knock it out of the park. I really hope so.

3 Likes

I see the stories about Joss Whedon is also kicking up again

1 Like

I really hope that one day—perhaps many years from now—we’ll be able to separate the amazing work Whedon did in Hollywood to try and normalise strong female leads, from shitty and abusive behaviour.

It is also interesting to me that none of the actors on Firefly or Dollhouse have spoken out. Based on the information that is available from the Firefly cast, it sounds like they had an entirely different experience with Joss during their show’s short run and the film finale.

1 Like

Exactly that @SIGSTART I hope we will one day have that normal. I also find it interesting about the dollhouse and firefly cast. As well as most of the angel cast hasn’t said a word.

I just feel this world has become overly everything.

I will always love the shows joss gave us, and if he turns out to be an ass then so be it.

2 Likes

Woody Allen is a tool, and people keep watching his stuff.

2 Likes

Exactly this. Go to an art museum. How many world famous paintings out there do you think were painted by complete asshats?

2 Likes

Kingdom Hearts series coming to PC :grinning:, as a ludicrously overpriced Epic Store exclusive :angry:.

To get the complete series would set you back R3490. Square Enix pricing their PC ports at the same level as the console originals for games that are all 2 years and more old? SMH.

2 Likes