Random News Snippets & Articles

Yeah, except it has a digital screen too that I’m using to track time and distance :grinning:

2 Likes

I like how the tag line under Trojan is “myspace(.com) my time”

1 Like

I haven’t clicked the link and haven’t liked the post.

2 Likes

You can now own colours as an NFT and, from a very quick read, get royalties for these colours being used in other NFT’s?

2 Likes

Saw it on Reddit over the weekend. The Redditors were not impressed.

1 Like

Wow, a fool and his money is soom parted.

NFTs are perhaps THE DUMBEST thing that the world ever thought to invent in the history of humankind, and people buying them the DUMBEST people in the history of humanity. This is just another example for people to rug pull and loose lots and lots of money.

2 Likes

I hereby formally and officially lay claim to all past, current, and future uses of the colour redd™ ® ©.

3 Likes

I was thinking of claiming Oltman Orange or something… As long as it is a constant income :grin:

3 Likes

4 Likes

A Bioshock movie should be very interesting indeed. But I don’t have a lot of confidence in Netflix, as their quality has been very hit or miss. But definitely something to look forward to.

2 Likes

Haha. That’s so meta, mate.

Alex Heath on Twitter: “Mark Zuckerberg is addressing Meta employees at a virtual all hands right now. He’s explaining the company’s updated values, which are: - “move fast” is becoming “move fast together” - “be bold” replaced with “build awesome things” - “focus on long term impact” is a new one” / Twitter

2 Likes

I got this in an email from my financial advisor, thought it was pretty cool:

Titled: SA AND THE WORLD IN 2022 A-Z (by Jeremy Gardiner the director of Ninety One)

· Ace - on trial Removed from the top six, from the NEC and Luthuli House. He’s down, but certainly not out. Important bellwether to see if the NPA can successfully prosecute state capture kingpins.

· Bitcoin Another tumultuous year, started 2020 at $7000, peaked at $67 500 in November 2021, and currently back down to around $40 000.

· Cyril Ramaphosa His programme of clean-up and renewal too slow for those who support him and way too fast for those on the wrong side of the law. Will he survive re-election at Nasrec in December? Apparently yes, he must. The alternatives are too scary to consider

· Debt Rising across the world, SA included. US debt is at $30 trillion, rising by $1 million every 40 seconds.

· Emerging markets Stimulus is over, won’t like tapering. However, despite recent scepticism, supply shortages should keep commodity prices from declining too much, and a post-COVID economic recovery should see some growth

· Fifth wave Apparently in May. For now though, ‘family meetings’ are over, schools and offices are back, as is rush hour traffic, and restaurants, bars and clubs are all packed. Hopefully, there is no turning back.

· Great Britain Although fractional compared to ours, quite nice to see another country’s politicians behaving badly and under pressure. Can you imagine that level of scrutiny of our politicians

· Happy days For equity investors at least, with the FTSE/JSE All-Share Index gaining 29% in 2021, its best year since 2009. After several years of lacklustre returns, our market continues to recover off the pandemic lows with price movements supported by a strong rebound in earnings growth.

· Interest rates and inflation Rising across the world, including SA. Expect at least four 25 basis-point increases both here and from the Federal Reserve, with the risk that they move faster and more aggressively

· Just transition Move towards sustainability and net zero across the world gaining momentum and unstoppable, finally. Developed world needs to assist emerging markets. We didn’t cause this problem, but we’re going to need funding and time to decarbonise

· Kamala Harris Gone very quiet. Not sure why. Could be she doesn’t want to be associated with Biden’s declining popularity, or Afghanistan. Unlikely she’ll be able to take on a rampant Trump

· Loadshedding One of our biggest constraints to growth. Now companies can produce their own electricity, up to 100MW. Our switch to wind/solar should also bring medium-term relief. Unfortunately, 2022 will remain challenging, and at times dark.

· Markets Under pressure. Rising interest rates, the removal of stimulus and geopolitical rumblings will keep markets under pressure. The global economic rebound should provide some support

· NPA Under pressure. The public is losing patience, the guilty getting confident and cocky. Skilled lawyers capable of running a trial to successful prosecution need to be hired. Business is offering to help. We need to hurry; we may not have much time.

· Omicron More boisterous, less dangerous. Apparently, this is how most respiratory pandemics end. Could our brilliant scientists have discovered the variant that ends COVID?

· Putin He wants Ukraine, again. Could just be bargaining/brinkmanship with the West. Remains dangerous though. Will heighten geopolitical risks and tensions.

· Quarantine Been devastating to our travel industry. Fortunately, been removed, for now. Let’s hope lessons have been learnt, and that this is the end.

· Rand With rising rates, slowing growth, emerging markets out of favour and less favourable terms of trade, we expect a stable to slightly weaker rand. However, the global post-COVID rebound plus supply chain bottleneck should provide some support for commodities and growth. Expect R15.00-R16.50 to the US dollar in 2022.

· State capture After Zondo, we now know the plot, the story, the characters and the villains. Many arrests have been made, but now we need more high-profile arrests and successful prosecutions

· Trump Back in ’24? Biden is unlikely to seek/win a second term and Kamala’s gone very quiet. If the New York Attorney General doesn’t trip him up, expect him back – whether you like it or not.

· US dollar A stronger-than-expected US recovery plus rising interest rates should see the dollar enjoying a firmer year.

· Vaccines At 43% fully vaccinated, we are one of the lowest globally. Fortunately, together with antibodies from widespread infections, we seem to have stumbled our way to herd immunity. Let’s hope it lasts.

· Weather It doesn’t rain, it pours. Too much rain unfortunately. After two great years for farmers and record harvests, crops and infrastructure have been damaged. Let’s hope not too much

· Xi Jinping having successfully reclaimed and settled down Hong Kong, Taiwan is next. Expect geopolitics risks through the year.

· Youth We have a relatively young population, which helped us during COVID. It’s a very different picture in the developed world. Only 9% of our population is over the age of 60; in Europe that number is more than 25%. This should be Africa’s demographic dividend, provided we can get education right.

· Zuma When will it ever end? Delays, court cases, a brief stint in jail, riots and unrest. Unfortunately, expect more of the same in 2022.

5 Likes

Now that’s some quality Random News Snippets, from A to Z!

5 Likes

5 Likes

Please be true. I loved the first game. Bought it on PS4, PC and Xbox.

2 Likes

I fully agree with this, might soon be time for another playthrough

4 Likes

As if I didn’t dislike TikTok enough already…

2 Likes

Thank goodness I have never even installed nor seen it. Even more reason to nope out of it.

4 Likes

I’m sure they’ll be met with some form of backlash from their user base.

3 Likes