Restrictions on new users

In addition to Trust Levels, Discourse also places several restrictions on new users by default.

The one we have already run into is the reply limit. This restricts the number of times a new user may reply in one topic for a 24 hour period. (It used to be until someone replies to you, but they seem to have changed that.)

It’s meant to be an anti-spam measure and a way to make Discourse resilient even when there are no mods around, but at 3 replies per topic every 24 hours it is very aggressive by default and discourages participation.

I have increased the reply limit for the time-being. Please let me know if you run into it and I’ll increase it again. If spam becomes an issue down the line, we’ll deal with it then.

For an explanation on why Discourse has this limit, here is their official response on the topic:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/why-is-there-a-topic-reply-limit-for-new-users/11513/2

2 Likes

Hi @SIGSTART, @Talentloos ran into it again this morning.

Wow, I’ve got hectic dejavu.

But back on topic. He tried to post this morning but couldn’t.

1 Like

That is very strange. @Talentloos couldn’t you post in any topic? The rate limit is meant to be per-topic, but it sounds like there might be another global restriction on new users that needs to be changed.

If you see it again, please take a screenshot so I can try and search for the exact error message. In the meantime I’ll hunt through the settings to see what I can find.

Hmmm, I’m not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand its a great tool to curb spamming, but on the other it might discourage new members from staying. Personally if a forum restricts me to a limit, I won’t have a lot of reason to stay on. We are a rather close group of people, and we might be intimidation to some new people. Perhaps we shouldn’t be that draconian in our rules? Just my thought.

I can post again!!! I couldn’t reply to anything. It only says you cant post more than 3 replies per topic, But I couldn’t post anywhere.

So no specific error message?
@SIGSTART, FYI ^^

I definitely want to relax the limits to encourage new users who want to post, to post. The issue is finding the setting…

Huzzah! But also: that is very weird. I’ll have to go to the Discourse forums and ask about this, because I can’f find anything about it online. It seems like a bug.

Yeah no worries man. I will bug @Solitude if I have issues again.

Hi any news on this yet? more people who are finding it a pain

Yeah it turns people away because they suddenly can’t reply to people anymore.

You have reached the post limit for a new user

I am attempting to see if we can change it by changing their user levels

When someone complains about not being able to post - I have found a work around for now - just change their trust level from 1 to 2 (for the admins who can)

After the initial 24 hours it falls away.

aah ok some people just are not patient :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I know hey. Some people…