Revisiting some retro classics

I brought my old Sega Megadrive II along with us on holiday in case there were some rainy days (like today). It’s been ages since I dusted it off and plugged it in but it has been great to revisit some old classics.

The hit game with the family is Dr Robotnik’s Beans. A puyo-puyo game where you combine four of the same colour beans together to pop them. The fun comes in that you can setup chain reactions which then launch a bunch of clear bubbles at your opponents side to make things difficult for them. It’s a great competitive game with a challenging single player campaign that has you versing increasingly difficult bot players.

The other highlight for me has been replaying Light Crusader an isometric adventure game. This game does so much so well. There is a mix of combat with a fair variety of boss fights. There are puzzles (a number of them physics based) and a bit of platforming. The story is basic but intriguing. The magic system is awesome in that you combine up to four elements to create different spells. You also discover better gear to increase your attack damage and defence. On top of all that at one stage you find a costume so you can dress up as a goblin so that can trick them into letting you into certain areas. All very impressive for a 16-bit game made in 1995.

What are some retro classics that you haven’t revisited in ages?

6 Likes

One of the early games I played was Sonic and Mortal Kombat. But I don’t know how it would be to play them now.

3 Likes

They both hold up pretty well. Sonic is still excellent and the cartoon graphics work well. Mortal Kombat II is a classic.

2 Likes

So an old friend of my brother has a massive collection of retro games, and has had so as long as I can remember. He even had a world record for Dr Mario at one point.

My brother sent me a link to his youtube the other day.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC698Jv_dasJvSFoBgXgmHGg/videos

I don’t know how he could play Atari 2600 Donkey Kong for 6 hours tbh…

3 Likes