Roguelike, Roguelike-like and Roguelite games

So I noticed we don’t have a specific thread or discussion topic for this genre, Rogue, not sure if it requires one, but here it is anyway.

Since everybody started calling every game featuring some rogue-likes traits like random generation and perma-death — “Rogue-like”, while they actually doesn’t have much resembles with Rogue.

People come out with term “Rogue-lite”, for all this games that have nothing to do with with true “Rogue-like” genre, but share some traits of it.

Basically everything that not top down view, turn based, dungeon crawler rpg, is rogue-lite and not like, and it has noting to do with difficulty.

As specified by Wikipedia:

Roguelike games are those that incorporate elements of role-playing games with procedural generation, following the formula of the genre’s namesake, Rogue . Due to the large number of variations on this concept, roguelikes are normally classified as either being a classical roguelike with qualities that meet the “Berlin Interpretation” for roguelikes, or as hybrid roguelikes, roguelike-likes, roguelites, or procedural death labyrinths, which possess some but not all of these qualities.

I have found myself playing, what I consider to be, a few rogue-like-like games of late and have been loving my time with them. The fact that they’re so accessible for short or long game stints. A lot of them have that pickup-and-go gameplay, albeit once you are familiar with the specific games mechanics.

Again, this genre seems to have become very diluted over the years and become very inclusive should the game have certain traits or mechaincs or even a specific design choice or playstyle.

What’s your thoughts on this genere and what are some of your favorites?

• Heck yeah! I WANT MOAR!
  • Nah, they’re too harsh on my fragile hands.

0 voters

Some of the (what I consider to be) rogue-like/lite that I am playing of late.

Honorable mention for @malice and @Talentloos :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Honorable mention? Mofo Isaac is the godfather of rogue-likes

6 Likes

The latest greatest one I have played:

3 Likes

Wow you guys really posted some great roguelites.

The shame of not seeing a single actual roguelike posted.

3 Likes

Aother one of my favorites

3 Likes

Here’s a list of some roguelikes:

I’ve been developing a roguelike on and off for quite a few years now. Part of a community that develops roguelikes.

Also here’s a topic on WebBrogue if anyone would like to try an actual roguelike that you can play straight in your browser:

Also a nice guide on the difference between a roguelike and a roguelite:

4 Likes

Sorry, I tried to make my argument or description of the original post clear or distinct enough that there is a difference and that Rogue-lite has become the watered down version of the previous Rogue-like. It has defintely become the better known or more popular “genre”.

4 Likes

I’ve got 860 hours in BoI Afterbirth, and a couple hundred in the original one as well.
It just has to be the godfather of rouge-likes/lites (idk) as MalicE said.

Other ones I enjoy are:
Dead Cells - amazing game, 2D platformer, just amazing, the controls, the fluidity, it makes you feel like a badass every time
Enter the Gungeon - I find it harder that BoI and hugely rage-inducing, but I keep going back.
Undermine - I think I picked this up during the last Steam sale, it’s pretty good.

Honorable mention to Streets of Rouge, it’s not your typical rouge-like style of gameplay, but I think it still qualifies.

5 Likes

Hey, no need to say sorry.

Haha I just see that @MalicE says Isaac is the godfather of roguelikes when it’s not even an actual roguelike. Heresy! burns @MalicE at the stake

4 Likes

[many people are typing…] :laughing:

6 Likes

Is not then up to debate as to what exactly makes up a Roguelike? I mean if a game consists of 70% of the Roguelike elements does it then make it one?

EDIT: Yes, I did read the post you mentioned :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Nah, read that article that I posted. It shows exactly what’s seen as a roguelike and what’s not.

For me it’s the worst when I look for actual roguelikes like on the Google Play Store and it keeps coming up with platformers and such.

4 Likes

Hey, in the current age of Roguelikes it is

3 Likes

Haha I’ll put it in red:

3 Likes

Pfft it’s not turn-based so it’s not a roguelike.

4 Likes

i am mostly horrrible at them, which is why i mostly stay away from them, but the one i most enjoy, which i actually got a controller for, was Hades, i have always been a fan of mythology so the greek theme was quite a pull for me, i like the humor, the game itself looks very pretty and the combat feels very fair, i would put it on the easier side of the genre but it does have a system to increase the difficulty exponentially as you go along.

4 Likes

…yes it is …it’s just really long turns …that happen all at the same time … SHUTUP

5 Likes

So if it has all of that, and adds it’s own mechanics and gameplay styles, is it no longer a roguelike or a roguelike+ ? :stuck_out_tongue:

What have I done by creating this topic, we’re seeing so much disparity here >_<

4 Likes

A game can add to it and still be a roguelike. But it must have those specific requirements.

3 Likes

Nice! I am looking forward to this coming to a PS4/XBO release. I do love SuperGiant Games’ games.

4 Likes