Roguelike, Roguelike-like and Roguelite games

So I watched a Jimpressions of Hades and then the FOMO hit me. Caved and got it on Steam. I’ve only played an hour so far but so far it’s really good.

5 Likes

Anyone playing Neon Abyss on an OG Xbox?

I’m getting terrible performance and wondering if anyone else is eperiencing this issue. Like microstutters whenever picking up new item, using an item or loading into a new room.

EDIT: turns out the issue is widespread, read one comment saying something about the Microsoft API performing I/O requests causing CPU slow down. Not sure if this is Xbox specific or affecting PCMR as well.

Be warned. It is playable but expect some micro stutters around ~300ms delays at times.

2 Likes

So the criteria of being a roguelike is that the game must have a minimum of the following:

• Permadeath
  • Random environment generation
  • Exploration and discovery
  • Turn-based, grid-based, non-modal gameplay
  • Hack-n-slash (e.g. lots of enemies to kill)
  • Resource management

=============================================================================

I have been playing a tonne of Spelunky 2 lately and have been wondering why you mentioned that this is a roguelite and not a roguelike.

• Permadeath — check
  • Random environment generation — check
  • Exploration and discovery — check
  • Grid-based, non-modal gameplay — check
  • Hack-n-slash — check
  • Resource management — check

It seems to have all the requirements. Sorry, I realise this may seem that I’m being pedantic but simply trying to better understand.

You missed “turn-based”.

I interpreted the commas as an all or one of the following.

Okay, my bad.

Edit: it should then be worded as “Turn-based, grid-based and non-modal gameplay”

Nice one, @Beo. We have a topic for ARPGs, but not Roguelikes and Roguelites.

The Berlin Interpretation of the definition of Roguelike reminds me of the Reinheitsgebot for beer. On the other side of the seesaw, it’s also a little bit like the term “Metroidvania”, which has perhaps been used too liberally by devs.

@Solitude: It’s awesome to have a true aficionado of the genre resident at MEW :smile:

I’d like to add one of the “elders” of the South African game dev industry to this list. It fits all of the requirements of the Berlin Interpretation, except (I think) permadeath. I can’t actually remember how Desktop Dungeons handles death… it probably has some kind of hardcore mode.

3 Likes

Hehe I see @Beo has been answered.

But yes, it has to be turn-based. A guy at Reddit once said that if you have to wonder whether a game is a roguelike or a roguelite then it’s probably a roguelite. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Played some more Hades last night and this morning. It’s really, really good. Definitely has that “just one more run” hook down. It sort of reminds me more of something like Children of Morta than Dead Cells with the way the story unfolds. It also gets bonus points for allowing you to pet Cerberus.

4 Likes

I’m curious, is there a way that you can think of to make them more accessible to you or is it just a preference thing?

I know there are some I simply stay away from cos I just suck at them, like I love the idea of SuperMeatBoy, but I am just terrible at it. I would also like to try Celeste, and I’ve heard this has a “enable easy mode” options I think @Hiro told me about.

2 Likes

Mmm that is a hard one to answer, think it might heavily weigh on the preference side of things. I for one don’t like a very high difficulty when it comes to games, might have stemmed from when “increase difficulty” simply ment, extreme aimbot and inhuman reflexes. I remember the highest difficulty AI on NFS underground 1 literally did things that were impossible for a human.

In terms of trying to appeal more to me: (this is difficult to put to text so forgive me)
A death should not block progress, i think, would be the best way to describe it. A death should not reset everything for me, each death should help me further my overall progress, be it stuff for the hub world or even simple stat increases, something that would help me progress further than where i was when i died, i don’t want to feel a sense of hopelessness, i am not be best at games but i know i am not the worst, so i don’t want to feel like all i am doing is dying over and over with no sense of accomplishment. Give me a broad enough spectrum of ways to complete each “level” and progress further, rather than trying to force me to play the way the developers want me to where i then fail over and over because i am unable to understand a weird mechanic.

In short i am basically casual scum, tired of games having to be difficult to be good, i don’t need to breeze through a game but i don’t want to sit in the same location watching my bodies pile up because i can’t “git-gud”

2 Likes

I got Hades last night and did 3 short runs. I love the satisfyingly frantic combat. It feels like I could easily sink many hours into this.
Another thing that stands out is how polished and detailed it is. The voice acting is quality too, as is to be expected from Supergiant Games.

Characters in the home hub will react to previous run like "oh she killed you again??and if you take a bunch damage or deal a bunch of damage in a short amount of time, your character will react to it as well.

Oh and you can pet a frikken Cerberus, 10/10.

4 Likes

Stumbled upon this while looking for some BoI similar games…

Seems to be getting some rave reviews as well, especially for its progression. I’m really looking to try this now.

2 Likes

Fun fact: The original ‘Rogue-Like’ is coming to Steam soon.

3 Likes

This just released 1.0 is looking… interesting?

2 Likes

I forgot about this game.

96 hours played in early access. It’s probably the most brutally unforgiving game I’ve ever played and I’m a sucker for punishment (and anything with simulated physics).

The core mechanic, other than the whole “every pixel does a thing” thing, is the wand building system. Wands have base stats like fire rate, reload time, capacity, etc, as well as slots for spells. You find or buy spells which you add to the wands slots. When you fire your wand, it will trigger the spells in the slots. The fun comes with experimenting to find the optimal wand for your current situation and available spells. I’m not sure if they added a tutorial in 1.0, but this games tells you absolutely NOTHING, and you can easily build a wand that instantly electrocutes you for example.

You can have a god-like run and end up getting crushed by rock… or panic shoot an explosive spell at your feet sending you flying into a lava pit… or have an enemy lob fire at you while you’re swimming in whiskey for whatever reason.

If you’re into hardcore, physics-based, rougelikes, then this is the game for you!

3 Likes

haha… sound like a Spelunky tale :laughing:

But yeah, looks at a little gameplay of it and realised this is not for me.

1 Like

I played a bunch more Hades, managed to complete 2 runs.

The only game I can compare the combat to is Diablo 3, except at 300% speed, and hit/spell effects going off constantly.
And now that I’ve unlocked most of the game and gotten a decent way through the story, I can definitely recommend it.

The amount of story and lore actually surprised me, even for a SG game.
There are plenty mechanics and ways you can alter your run to keep it interesting long after the credits roll.

The only negative, and this is purely personal opinion, is that no matter how much you suck, you’ll be able to upgrade your stats with currency that carries over between runs and enemies become fodder. It takes a while to get there though.

2 Likes

Keep talking and I’ll buy the game.
On a serious note, I’m a cheap ass, and I think steam will likely have a Halloween sale soon. And this game is kinda Halloweeny :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, I mostly love SuperGiant Games’s games so I will likely dip into Hades when it inevitably becomes available on consoles.

1 Like

This is a positive for me. I do suck so knowing that eventually I will be able to beat the game is great.

2 Likes