SABC TV licence payment not reflecting

So I’ve got a similar ongoing issue. I believe in not paying for something without at least being presented with a Pro Forma invoice. As far as I know the law actually stipulates that I’m not liable for payment if I am not given an invoice and statement.

I’ve never received and invoice from the SABC for my licence fee… The first indication I got was a phone call from a collections agency. I insisted on an invoice, and that they remove the interest portion, as they can’t charge interest on an amount that has not been invoiced - besides, I didn’t even have the banking details or the reference to use… The collections agency ignored this request, and I got cycled back into the call center pool.

After a couple of rounds with call center agents over a bunch of months, I finally got a statement (no invoice) and banking details. I paid the base amount, but not the interest. A couple of months ago, I started get sms’s from a collections agency again… I’m waiting for their call again now.

5 Likes

I got an sms this morning, thanking me for paying. Went and looked on the website and it now shows that I paid.

5 Likes

Over the past few months I have been getting a weekly lawyers letter for my wife’s grandfather’s outstanding licence. We used my email address when he took it out about 10 years ago. He has now been dead for 4 years.

We have submitted the death certificate every year when we got the renew notice, but clearly they never canceled it and now handed it over to their collection lawyers.

I feel very tempted to give them his new “place of residence” as the cemetery so they can go try and collect there in person.

5 Likes

And this is only 1 of the reasons I won’t ever get myself on THAT list.
Actually looking at TV’s now since we gonna be moving in together…will just grab a friends (license).

1 Like