Sea of Thieves

Call me late to the party but I’ve recently started playing this game with some friends and it has been an absolute blast! Coming to the game later on means that there is a glut of content and it feels like there is so much to do. That aside, the sheer joy of sailing and discovery really nails it for me. The sights, sounds and swells of sailing on the deep blue are amazing.

Yesterday while we were searching for treasure in the depths we fought off a few skeleton crews, then found ourselves being attacked by Megalodon (giant shark). We were able to take out the Megalodon and started looting the treasure it had left when all of a sudden we were in the grips of a Kraken! Our fight with the giant shark had pushed us far from the islands and into the dangerous deep. Another different but epic fight ensued. Unfortunately the Kraken won by crushing and sinking our ship.

There have also been some laughs, in one of our early games we made the mistake of getting caught in a storm. My one friend on the foredeck got struck by lightning, setting him and the deck on fire. A short while later another bolt of lightning struck and killed him. Talk about unlucky!

4 Likes

The PvP with friends is also so much fun!

The only issue is when everyone drifts off to different games. It is n ot fun to play on your own

6 Likes

yip main reason i haven’t played it in a while

2 Likes

Yarrrrr

Some of my streamer colleagues play this. I’ve been considering jumping in if they’d take me in on a collab lol

3 Likes

Last night a friend and I did a long session, travelling from island to island digging up treasure (the riddle maps are fun to do!) and following the quest’s we’d find in bottles along the way.

We had a quest to take out 4 skeleton pirate captains on Scorched Pass. First time we’d travelled into the volcanic area. We pulled up to the target island and not only had to battle strong enemies but also the elements as geysers would randomly burst underneath your feet on the island launching you high into the air and damaging you as you land.

We carried on the battle, kiting back to the ship for food and ammo to sustain us when the nearby volcano erupted and sent flaming rocks flying into the air. These started to rain down and the next thing we knew our shop was on fire. The hull was also damaged and taking on water from the impact of the rocks. Frantically we bailed the water and threw it on the fires on deck. Once the ship was safe we carried on our bounty quest, the neighbouring volcano having gone quiet.

Much later after collecting treasure from a wreck and the local islands we sailed our heavily laden ship to an outpost to sell off the riches. Just as we were approaching the outpost the Megalodon reared it’s head. No ways a crew of 2 of us, on a 3 player ship, would be able to defeat him and with all this loot we didn’t even want to risk it so we ran. Soon we came close to the shallower water around the island and the mega shark left us alone. But now we were going too fast to stop in time and despite dropping the anchor in haste our ship launched itself up over a piece of land, scraped along some rocks and got stuck in a small pool of water hemmed in by rocks. It was completely stuck, but stable at least, so we started offloading.

We were about halfway in selling our treasures when the game decided the ship was unrecoverable and needed to be reset. Pop! No more ship and we lost our grade 4 emissary status before we could lower the flag and collect the bonus. Still a good haul but not quite what it could have been.

We were left with a reaper’s bounty chest and 2 emissary flags (one our own) which we could then sell to the Reapers faction for big money. The problem was our ship had respawned somewhere else on the vast map. My friend used the friendly mermaid teleport system to get back to our ship while I was tasked with guarding the remaining items. The Reapers bounty chest being a highly desirable item.

Our woes continued in that my friend was many nautical miles away with the ship and after a good long wait for him, he realised he’d been sailing to the wrong outpost, in the wrong direction :man_facepalming:t2:

With it being so late we decided to cut our losses and head to bed. Another crew had logged in and spawned at the island I was on. They were using text to speech to communicate and at first were crying out “Enemy!” I used the in-game gestures to indicate I was friendly and though wary they relaxed. I decided to give them the bounty chest so they could at least benefit from turning it in. I picked it up and carried it onto their ship, earning a point towards a generosity achievement.

I had to laugh at their words as they prepared to sail off. The one guy said, “Come with us!”
The other responded: “No.”
And added, “He is the protector of this island. He must stay.”

:rofl:

5 Likes

This cross-over is overdue! Looking forward to this!

4 Likes

It looks amazing, they’ve done a great job recreating the iconic locations of Melee Island.

1 Like

This year is going to be a good one to get into - or back into Sea of Thieves. Been playing it recently and having a blast. There have been some nice quality of life updates to the game, and now with the upcoming content this could be SoT’s best year yet.

2 Likes