Selling: GTX1080-8GB for R5000 and RX580-4GB for R2000

Can buy a Series X for that price. It’s crazy how expensive graphics cards are these days.

2 Likes

And it’s not just here in RSA, apparently the 3060’s are being resold for over $1000 or even close to $2000

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I’m looking for second hand… my wife’s card popped last night.

2 Likes

That sucks @Viper! I hope you find something. GPU’s are difficult to get hold of these days.

1 Like

https://carbonite.co.za/index.php?forums/nvidia_gpu/

Probably your best bet.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw. I was quite surprised. Thought that we had moved past the “scarce gpu” stage. My wife doesn’t use the PC a lot at this stage so at least it isn’t urgent. She can use the onboard graphics for browsing… just not gaming or mining.

3 Likes

I heard that miners are buying uo the 3060s… Here we go again.

But then I also heard nVidia is going to limit mining performance so people will buy their dedicated mining cards based on the 3060 rather…

Jump to 6:56.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I can’t buy the 3060… I do light mining when we’re not gaming and the 3060 specifically has been limited. That way the graphics card eventually pays for itself but I would prefer a 2nd hand that preferably hasn’t been mining. I underpower my cards so they don’t run hot but other people overclock and run it to the max.

2 Likes

I have not sold all of the cards listed in this topic, but since the price of Bitcoin has skyrocketed and it’s become profitable to mine again, they are back at mining.

Yep, since the start of the last bull run people are getting interested in mining again and buying up GPUs.

Linus Tech Tips did a video debunking Nvidia’s claim that its new “CMP” card is about making sure there are GeForce 3060 cards for gamers to buy.

The video also does a great job of summarising the problems causing GPU shortages right now, particularly the global silicon shortage.

2 Likes

I think if I have to buy new, I might just wait for the 3070 and get that for myself and my wife can inherit one of my cards again. I see the 3070 mines the same as 2x 1080s.
Wootware only have Palit and EVGA, both brands I’m not really familiar with. I hope Takealot gets some stock of Gigabyte or MSI, then at least I can partially offset the cost with ebucks.

2 Likes

I currently have a Palit card and have had an EVGA before. Never had problems. Especially EVGA is a big brand overseas.

1 Like