Sim Racing Leagues (Outside of MEW)

Okay I’m so definitely doing this. Just need partners!!

3 Likes

I am keen, super keen!!!

2 Likes

I’d even drive the Bentley to be on your team. But we’ll need i think two more.

2 Likes

Ya I’m not sure what the team size is, but I’d be keen for a team of 4.

Maybe we can all agree on a car. Plenty of time to practice and get used to it.

1 Like

That is Darth subtly saying he does not want the Bentley!

I am easy as far as cars go, but I would want to know a week in advance to practise.

And yes, 4 is the ideal number

To be honest, I am open to it. I haven’t really driven it much - I think the biggest thing to get used to is the right-hand side steering!

1 Like

Thats why the other cars are so hard for me! The wheel on the wrong side!

1 Like

Okay I don’t think a week is enough practice. We’ll need to get a team together and think about what car we will be driving fast. Then we can have different practice sessions in different conditions to do the setup of the car and get used to it before the big race.

I suggest the following 4 cars as options:
Aston Martin V8
Bentley
BMW M6
Ferrari 488

Cool, is the Ferrari you’re suggesting the new Evo version?

I know it’s predictable but I’ll throw in the Lexus for consideration too. It is known for being good in the wet and with it bein Silverstone there is always a chance of rain.

I must check if Jardier has done a track guide on Silverstone, he usually includes a comment on which are the best cars suited for a track.

Edit: Actually scratch the Lexus off. Being an older vehicle it’s ECU options are quite limited, with settings 1-4 not changing fuel usage, only the throttle. With the enduro’s having a finer tuning on the fuel usage is really helpful

I teased about the Bentley initially. I know it really well, but I am totally open to any of the cars. I will spend some time in the next few weeks with a few cars and find my favourite. And then we make a call on a car early in Jan. That gives us enough time to really get down and dirty with the chosen car.

On my shortlist of testing first are:

• Merc Evo
  • Ferrari Evo
  • NSX
  • BMW

I never liked the Aston Martin but should really give it a proper go… Same goes for the Lexus.

The Aston is nice, I’ve driven it around Silverstone and it handled the track well.

The one thing I can do in the Lexus is save it if it starts sliding out of control, I’ve gotten familiar enough with it.

Also on an unrelated note - landed up doing a 90 min stint on one set of tyres in Monday’s MNR at Laguna Seca. I got online late and only had time for 1 quali lap, so I was near the back for the start and there was chaos in the first few turns. I had to slam on brakes and the guy behind me rammed into the car, causing lots of damage. So I pitted and filled up the fuel tank while the damage was being repaired. Unfortunately I did have to do a quick splash and dash for fuel at the end - but didn’t do tyres as they’d take too long.

I checked the stats on the tyres after the race - the front right only had 1.00mm tread left, with severe graining, moderate blistering and flatspots - front left was marginally better with 1.5mm tread. I’m lucky the tyres didn’t blow out!

1 Like

I drove all the 2020 cars around Silverstone and here is my list, in order of preference:

1. Bentley (big surprise)
  2. Porsche 911 (this was actually a big surprise, and I could save it way easier than I remember)
  3. Lambo (tied with 911 on time, but feels more sluggish)
  4. Merc AMG Evo
  5. Aston (not slow, but I struggled to keep the tyres cool)

So, let me know how your testing goes and then we compare notes later. I wont be able to race much this coming week or 2 and will most probably only be able to dig deeper into this next year.

Also keep in mind that I do not know how to set up a car. We should recruit @SlinX to our team as this guys knows what he is doing! :wink: He set our Bentley up so well that I got my best lap times ever around Spa with his setup!

2 Likes

So far I’ve given the Honda a go in sprint race. It was very loose on the rear end so I had to make some setup adjustments - I’m starting to get the hang of the setups too at least.

One of the guys on the RaceFace chat shared his Bentley setup so I will give that a test around Silverstone next.

Okay I’ve given a fair few cars a bash around Silverstone in order to see how my driving style suits each car. I did all the setups to the standard Safe setup, all the same fuel and drove 10 laps with each car. I didn’t really are about the times as I know I’ll be fastest in the AM, so rather looked to feel and confidence in the car, can I push it or not. Here is my PROVISIONAL top 5 cars that we should look at for the 24h race:

1. Aston Martin: I mean I know it so well, and I am just so comfortable in the car, and it’s so easy to drive.
  2. Ferrari 488: This car feels like it’s glued to the ground, and I easily broke into times I only managed with the Aston.
  3. Porsche 911: Hot damn this car feels like it’s on a knive edge, but bloody hell is it quick, and it feels like you always know exactly what the car is going to do.
  4. BMW M8: I felt comfortable and quick almost from the word go. There is some tweaking that will make the front-end more responsive, but overall not a bad drive.
  5. Bentley: This thing drives like a boat, the ass wants to hang out with the front of the car way too much, you drive on the wrong side of the car, the view is small and obscured and you cannot see alot out of the window, but it is FAST! I got to within 0.3 seconds a lap of my Aston times, very quickly. That is the laps I actually kept the bar on the road.

Some other thoughts about cars I drove:

Merc AMG: With a good setup this will be a fantastic car to drive, but it feels slow and heavy
Audi R8: Horrible, absolutely horrible
Lambo: Very twitchy car, you need a lot of practice to get this thing to behave
Lexus: I hope its good in the rain, because it felt like driving in an accounting textbook, was very boring
Honda: Or as I like to call it Mr. Spinsalot
Nissan GTR: Not bad but oh so slow

I’ll be doing more testing with the top 5 cars to see how I feel.

1 Like

If I was to be selfish I would ask you to drive the Bentley more :wink: You are clearly the better driver and can easily adapt to the Bentley, where I will take more time to get used to other cars :smiley:

But in all seriousness, I can make do with just about any of the 5 cars you listed.

I still say we need to recruit @SlinX into the team as our 4th. He knows how to set up a car!

1 Like

I’ll put some time in with the top 5 cars. I can agree that the Honda spins very easily at Silverstone without some setup tweaks.

I do like the Aston, I’ve had some good races with it. I haven’t driven the new Ferrari yet but enjoyed the old one. I have a decent amount of experience in the Porsche. The BMW is new ground for me to test. Also the Bentley I’ve driven all of once so it’ll also take some getting used to.

Maybe we should all put some time in the Porsche and the Ferrari as we all seem to agree on those at least?

1 Like

Okay okay, I suppose I can’t ignore the calls forever :sweat_smile:
I’ll be the 4th driver if you need one.
I haven’t done any sim racing in quite a while now.

4 Likes

Hooray!

Don’t worry, I dusted off the wheel only last night since last racing on 18 Dec. Took me a while to get back into it. Then I went and won a GT4 race around Zandfoort :smile: (it was a small field of about 9 racers though)

Do you still have that ACC server setup?

1 Like

Yay!! That’s great news. In the mean while we’ve decided we’ll be doing the race in the Porsche 911 so if you want to get going again, that’s the car we’ll be driving.