Site and Community launch ideas

Not that I have a “problem” per se with the whole community.mostepic.win - I just think it’s a little too niche or cliche based on the subject matter. If you want to stay with the geekdom fandom esque culture I think something like forthe.win would lend itself better. I just feel the current name “community.mostepic.win” was a placeholder for something better.

That being said, I personally think a name and or domain name change is needed. Not that I don’t like the current formality, I just feel we need a fothold of we are to enter this market with a new name that will make an impact and represent the subject matter and material that we wish to cover.

Gamers’n’Geeks.win
Geeking.out
Stompthegeek.com

As @DieGrootHammer said, costing and financing will always be an issue. I think we should remain free or at the very least register an NPO with a few of us as the “board” or shareholders.

Though I think going forward we will need from at the very least, a select few to continually contribute to the overall running of the site. Like @Wyvern said, she can contribute her time to pushing the social meda aspect. We could have another 2 people writing opinion pieces at least once a week. We need one or two to focus on other non-game related contence, like comics and TV series/movies. Of course Senai @Glordit will head up the anime department. 'Hammer and myself can cover the console section. The man @Flex and @DohcWP will cover deals and marketplace related content.

Of course these are all just examples but you get the direction I’m going with this. I want to start working on some mockups of potential ideas and so forth, but we can’t have logos or images unless we have a name.

Stand up and be counted, let’s get to the bottom of this. Unless of course everyone is just happy or settling with the community.mostepic.win.

Peace…

2 Likes

I would be keen to do any hardware related news, specials anything like that. Can also try do write ups of all the hardware and peripherals I have used as it has been a ludicrous amount.

And then also the Market Place, I think I am definitely suited for that. A trusted member on all the large trading, buying and selling tech platforms.

So will def put my hand up for those when the time comes to get it going

2 Likes

I’d definitely like to give opinions or news on anime in general if I can. I’d probably keep it simple with popular shows and what to watch this week/month/season. I will keep all the sales and statistics to MAL and ANN.

Could also have a little wiki area on the whole medium, to help introduce people into it who are interested.

1 Like

Would be great. This is why we are aiming to have a more open geek community and not just gaming. Have a full dedicated anime category with various threads drawing in people from that side of geekdom into the site. That would be awesome. You’d expose a bunch of people to new things they may never have known about, either in gaming or anime.

1 Like

Will this include all the popular hentai as well though?

1 Like

Good, maybe you can help me out and tell me why the guy runs away so funny in the first episode of Anime Crimes Division.

1 Like

With his arms flailing behind him? Probably from Naruto.

Edit: To add context, it’s just how the characters run in Naruto. Although I recall it did exsist in series prior to Naruto.

Think that could be said a little better.

I think it rather needs to be decided on, sooner rather than later.

We’re already getting too comfortable here and treating it like another space that was MyGaming, or as a replacement. I just don’t want us to get too comfy here if it’s going to change and everything to be uprooted and moved, again.

agreed. People already making logos an colour schemes but no name has been decided on

I was thinking… I know it’s rather dangerous, but bear with me.

I believe (or it’s my understanding) that if we keep this as a ‘non-profit orginization’ that the business’ financials are transparant and open to anyone and everyone (or just the “board”), am I correct?

In saying and assuming that, any money the business makes goes directly back into the running of the business. There’s allows the business to continue supporting itself in running costs, domain, hosting, etc. Not to mention that any funds that accumulate can be pumped into social aspects, competition, prizes and giveaways.

I dunno, I would prefer to take on this opertunity as an option to create a community than treating it as a business to make profits from. It still requires a business model though.

Unless I got the wrong end of the stick from the initial options and prospectives when @SIGSTART drove this initiative.

What do you guys think, how do YOU guys/gals feel about this?

1 Like

Which is why I consolidated all the names into the Naming Thread Here so that we can decide and go to the next step.

Call me jaded but it seems to me that in most NPOs the people running the thing spend 80% of the money on themselves.

That is off course no comment on present company.

that would probably be the best options if the site ever makes money, i dont think making money is the intention of @sigstart when he came up with the initiative but if it does make anything its probably best to pump it back in and get the community to grow.

Of course, I totally agree with this sentiment. But we face facts that there are and will be costs involved in the upkeep of the site and greater community.

This is the feeling I got as well which is why I’m posing the above suggestions. We can’t carry on expeecting all the onus and costs to fall on one dude.

Only suggest an NPO as it can be transparent.

1 Like

Unfortunately the whole NPO vs business is more tricky than just that. Just registering an NPO isn’t merely filling in the forms and sending in the application. There are a whole bunch of rules and laws that will need to be followed first. Plus the registering process of NPO’s can take up to 8 months in SA. Plus you then have to decide if the NPO is a Voluntary Association, NPO Trust or an NPO Company, each with their own laws and conditions to registration. And the tax implications are all rather complex.

Registering a business has its own complexities, however. But the decision will need to be made, as any organization that receives income of some form will need to be registered in some way for tax purposes. And tax numbers are all needed for bank accounts and even registration for either a business of an NPO.

This is not simply just saying “let’s start an NPO”, there are many facets of the business that will need to be ironed out firstly before discussions can be made regarding income generation, profit sharing, cost recovery, tax income, accounting and SA Law.

I’ll can assist with the social media and marketing stuff, as well as any design work that may be needed.

And I’m willing to try and help out with the “Blogs, Articles and Content” part too if I can. I’ve written a review article or 2 in my time…

1 Like

Exactly why I asked, as I don’t know all the ins and outs as well as you, or others.

Unless we just go on mutual trust. I mean there are some here I trust irrefutably.

awww, thanks Bro :+1:

he has to trust you, you share a PSN account

Running a transparent community business is something I’ve always wanted to try. I’m not sure how we would functionally do it to keep costs low now that CCs are a thing of the past, but I’m definitely keen.

There is an account of money received and money spent, and of decisions taken.

I’ve always wanted to test how well a system like that would scale, and this would be a perfect opportunity to run such an experiment.

(P.S. I really like the suggestion made above by @DieGrootHammer, and in keeping with the behaviour Discourse is trying to instil I’m not replying separately, but clicking +1 on it. Each of those suggestions will get a thread eventually, I imagine.)

1 Like