South African Parliament agrees to consider Constitutional amendment for land expropriation without compensation

The lot in Hermanus don’t seem to care. What about that dude who went there to expropriate the land, sea, air, fish and shops who had his “architects” with him to scout out the area?

I live in farm country and so far the farmers here have not given any indication of panic. I have known these people for 23 years and they are still rock solid.

Hopefully they know something I don’t . :wink:

2 Likes

Playing devil’s advocate here, but maybe it’s time for a civil war. Maybe that will be the thing that finally gets the rot out.

careful, that hypothetical call to arms is now possibly considered illegal

Also, I know its not intended seriously, but I’ve spoken to a lot of old soldiers…

War is just bad*. Assuming that the good people will survive and that the evil will die is naive.

Economists also agree — war is just bad for a country. Civil war doubly so.

All we’ll end up with is a wrecked economy and a junta. Then you have to pray that the junta will be willing to relinquish power peacefully to a democracy.

* World War 2 is the exception, in some respects. Germany brought war to the world. There was no staying out of it, as the US learned.

1 Like

“War does not determine who is right — only who is left.”

Again, speaking hypothetically, what you can expect as a result of Civil war (from a purely economic standpoint) :

• High inflation, even Hyperinflation. Similar to what Zimbabwe saw a couple of years ago.
  • Public sector/National Debt will increase drastically. Currently SA’s Debt to GDP is around 54%, this could be 200% for periods during or after an armed conflict
  • the cost of war in Africa has been equal to the amount of international aid. A country like the “Democratic Republic of Congo” has experienced a particularly difficult war, which besides causing the deaths of about 4 million people, has cost it £9bn, or 29% of its gross domestic product.
  • Unemployment will surge even further.
2 Likes

Not to mention the destruction of vital infrastructure

2 Likes

The other alternative, of course, is China calls in its debt and SA becomes a Chinese colony :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

They (the Chinese) have nothing to gain from that. What is more likely; Once natural resources start running dry they’ll want their “loans” repaid and then they’ll leave.

Quoted for truth.
-an old soldier-

1 Like

Some would argue thats already happening.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: There is no coal shortage — Eskom stopped taking delivery

They would be the naive-types I was referring to before who had clearly not read any history or watched a single documentary about war.

Potholes in the roads and an ailing electricity grid is one thing. Having cities levelled, people maimed or killed, and a tear through the fabric of society is not even remotely the same thing as the cost of corruption we’re seeing now.

It’ll take us years to recover from Zuma. It would take decades to recover from a war.

Here’s a reality check:

4 Likes

While we’re on Syria

2 Likes

Just for some perspective… there is also occasionally good news…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-04/south-africa-s-economy-emerges-from-first-recession-in-decade

South Africa emerged from its first recession in almost a decade in the third quarter as recoveries in manufacturing and agriculture contributed to an increase in economic growth.

Gross domestic product rose by an annualized 2.2 percent in the three months through September compared with a revised 0.4 percent contraction in the prior quarter

3 Likes

Or even

Third consecutive month.

4 Likes

Oh noes. I’ve fallen behind. Will read this thread tonight.

2 Likes

Skip your daily lunchtime beer and read it now!

3 Likes

What vile, sacrilegious, evil suggestion is this?

1 Like

This was interesting,

1 Like