Speakers or Headphones (Headset) what do your prefer?

I saw this question posed recently and was expecting most people to reply that they mainly use headphones/headsets but there were a surprising amount of people who prefer speakers.

So let’s see what the preferred audio device is for the MEWBS.

• I Prefer Speakers
  • I Prefer Headphones / Headset
  • I use both

0 voters

Ever since I got a decent Headset I have used that pretty much all the time for gaming. For competitive FPS’s it’s a must and for other games it really helps with the immersion. The other factor is that with a headset I’m not disturb my wife or kids with the game noises, which when you are pitched in a hectic gun battle can get pretty loud.

I still have my old speaker set connected to the PC, but it’s mostly used for listening to music while I work.

3 Likes

I definitely prefer the immersion (or disconnection from the outside world really) that decent headphones give when gaming. Also, using the speakers in the dead of night tends to irritate the family. I don’t get why they can’t sleep to the sounds of screeching tyres and loud explosions, but whatever.

As a glasses :nerd_face: guy though, I do find the headphones start getting a little uncomfortable after a couple of hours. I sometimes land up switching to crappy earbuds just to give my dumbo ear flaps a break.

Otherwise, if I’m alone in the house, and not using the mic, I’ll use the speakers. Loudly. :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m lucky that my glasses are only for far distance so I don’t need to wear them when playing PC.

2 Likes

headphones, immersion is just better. As I also tend to play mostly at night, I use headphones not to bother the rest of the house. BUT. As I am also paranoid by nature, 100% more so at night, I have them sort of half on my ears so that I can also hear noises around me too. I have two sets of headphones, Sennheiser HD202 (baby range, but I’ve been using them for around ~10 years now) They I can place sort of half on and half off.

For when ppl are noisy and annoying in the house during the day, I have a set of Sennheiser GSP 300, they do a reasonable job of cancelling out noise around me.

2 Likes

I like both. The headphones get uncomfortable eventually.

2 Likes

Depends on what you are playing

I haven’t used speakers in a long time. Use headphones at work. Use headphones on my gaming pc. Use headphones with my consoles and my phone.

If this was Cyberpunk I would have headphones built in.

2 Likes

Speakers, don’t like using headphones. Always bothers my ears.

2 Likes

Both but since I wear ear protection the whole day at work headphones are not my first choice when I get home.

1 Like

Headphones if chatting with people on dik sword or it’s passed 11pm.

1 Like

I use both. Headset when I want to chat to other players and / or not disturb the rest of the house. Speakers when I’m by myself and want to have some awareness of what’s happening around me.

1 Like

I use a desk microphone for chatting.

1 Like

I use both. But, in the evening I use headphones for private listening, as to not disturb others.

1 Like

Speakers. My neighbors are far away so I need to work extra hard to disturb their peace

1 Like

Everyone is so polite, to not disturb others. So much for being stereotypical obnoxious toxic gamers :joy:

2 Likes

I use speakers 90% of the time, headphones only when a mic is needed or when in VR, cos I have a Vive deluxe audio strap which I highly recommend.

You need to add another option to the poll, there are abominations out there who use speakers paired with a headset mic.

1 Like

I’ve been using headset ever since I got a decent set. I only use my speakers for when I play room scale VR games

1 Like

4 Likes

As much as I would love to use a good speaker set, it is not very considerate in our house where the PC is in a pretty open area. Plus, my Logitech G Pro headset is pretty darn awesome, so no complaints here!

1 Like

I have this beauty hooked up in my TV Room:

It’s the Onkyo HT-7805 Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 HTIB and I freaking love it! Movies and PS4 games sound epic on it and if I could I would happily play my PC games through it as well. However, since it can be quite loud and it’s not exactly feasible to move my PC into the TV room I stick with my trusty Asus Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC350 combo for all my PC gaming needs:

Asus-Xonar-Xense-Gaming-Headset-Combo

3 Likes