Squadron 42 - I Held The Line

At the close of this weekends’ CitizenCon, the annual Star Citizen fan convention, Chris Roberts and CIG announced that Squadron 42 is officially “feature complete” and has moved into a polishing and performance phase. And the spiritual successor to Wing Commander - a game and franchise that had a huge impact on my personal love of gaming - is looking really good.

Squadron 42 is the standalone, single player RPG action adventure game that CIG have been developing in tandem with the ongoing development of Star Citizen. The story takes place in the same universe, a few years earlier than the MMO timeline, and features a number of big name A-list actors: Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill, Mark Strong, John Rhys-Davies, Gary Oldman, Henry Cavill, and others I’ve missed, all have featured roles in the game.

And many of them appear in the 26 minute “I Held the Line” feature video that was released at CitizenCon. The video features developer leads showcasing some of their teams’ work and a number of in-game scenes.

This is why I backed Star Citizen all those years ago, and why I’ve accepted the sarky comments with a smile, and continue to champion it with that same smile. :smiley:

3 Likes

When they release SQ42, I will buy it. Until then, I will fiddle around SC when they have new releases every now and then.

A single player SC? Yes please.

1 Like

Jislaikit finally, and the rumours were true. Now we just hope they don’t polish for the next 2 years lol.

1 Like

Eish, same!

1 Like

I reckon 12 months to a release date, 18 months to an actual release.

I’m just glad that we should now start seeing some of the S42 features rolling into Persistent Universe - cockpit HUDs; character creator options - new faces, new hair, etc.; location mini maps; improved UIs; better zero G animations; improved environment lighting and textures… A bunch of things that have are now “feature complete” that are desperately needed QOL things in SC itself.

1 Like

You can hold the line, just dont hold your breath?

Wing Commander Privateer was the first non Sierra game I ever bought, and then I bought Strike Commander as a sequel prequel side game…

If this plays out well like either of those games, I am sold!

Question: is SQ42 included in Star Citizen or is it a completely seperate purchase?

:roll_eyes:

It originally was. Early backers should have access to both if they purchased a game package before February 2016. From then game access was sold separately and you could get either Star Citizen access or pledge for Squadron for $45. When buying one of the standalone packages you could opt to add on the other game for an additional $20, but I think that option is only available on initial purchase. Could be wrong on that one though.

Currently though you can’t get Squadron as a separate package. It was removed from sale 5-6 months ago, allegedly in preparation of a price increase. I think it’ll be brought back soon at $60. I also read something about an EU regulation that prevents the sale of an item without a delivery date. If that’s true, and with no release date anytime soon, it may be a while before it’s return to the pledge store.

1 Like

And another 36 months for an actual sellable release.

1 Like

Low hanging fruit, sorry…

1 Like