Star Citizen

Ahhh, OK. That makes sense. Yeah, the rags to riches approach is exactly how I want to play as well. My brother and I both committed to sticking with our Aurora packages no matter what. Any other ships and equipment will be earned in game.

The cool thing with ship rentals in 3.7 is that it gives you the opportunity to start that journey, albeit in a more short-term fashion.

1 Like

Exactly what I will be doing as well.

2 Likes

Only 5 sleeps until CitizenCon 2019. HYPE!

Here is a bit of a retrospective on last year’s event.

4 Likes

What do you think we can expect to see?

4 Likes

Good question. Lots of rumors have been floating around, ranging from jump point gameplay to the unveiling of a new star system.

Looking at what’s on the schedule, there will definitely be more info on the new planet tech v4, with Microtech as a showcase, a look at the upcoming prison gameplay, details about a new FPS game mode, plus a bunch of other things. Then of course, the keynote… Can’t wait!

4 Likes

Here we go folks, it’s anniversary free fly time! Looks like we get to try out almost every flyable ship in the game over the course of twelve days. Longest one they’ve done yet, afaik.

If you’ve been on the fence about trying the game out, now is your chance. No risk, no obligation.

3 Likes

Okay, that’s a pretty damn impressive line up of ships. I knew there were a lot already available in game, but seeing all of them listed like that is excellent. Sort of suggests that CI have actually been making some progress :grinning::stuck_out_tongue:

I know you’re too polite to do it, but I’m too old to care, so…

@DieGrootHammer, this is the free fly event that you were waiting for. Let us know when you want to get your first flight in so that we can join you and have @Sweepslag show us around. @SIGSTART you may also want to tag along to see what you helped fund all those years ago, if you’re available.

In fact, let’s see if we can coordinate as many existing and new Star Citizens together as possible for at least one or two sessions during the 12 days?

If you are a new player wanting to give the Free Fly event a go, remember to use one of the referral codes in the OP when you first create your account - it cannot be added after the fact!

If anyone needs help with the account creation, installer setup or game download, feel free to give us a shout here. I’m a little swamped with year end exam marking and assignment grading at the moment, but will definitely jump in when I can. And I’m sure @Sweepslag will be happy to help too.

3 Likes

Or, to take the more cynical tack: the reason there are so many ships is because Chris Roberts could charge obscene amounts of money for every new ship they add :upside_down_face:.

Certainly, you’ll be able to earn them in-game, but there were also a lot of people effectively pre-purchasing DLC for an in-development game.

The Truth™, as always, is complex. The reason there are so many ships is because they are easy to monetise, but also because a space MMO needs a decent variety of ships. Every ship concept they added to their crowdfunding effort meant more work for the development team. And in spite of people’s misgivings, they have delivered on a significant chunk of those ships.

As for the free fly weekend… I’d love to! I’m back home this weekend, but have an appointment tomorrow evening. I should be available on Saturday and Sunday. Unfortunately I won’t be able to get in any gametime from Thursday until the following weekend :frowning:

3 Likes

4 Likes

To support the Free Fly week+ a Community Support and Welcome Hub site is being launched tomorrow as well. It should be at:

http://www.playstarcitizen.com/

and will feature video and text tutorials and an option to “Find a Guide” (an experienced SC player volunteer) to help you through your start to Star Citizen.

(From press release report in Massively OP)

2 Likes

Yes, this sounds like a good idea. Get max players online at once and cram them all into the biggest ship we can fly (a pity there is no capital ships yet), what is the bigggest ship? Starfarer? Hammerhead? DragonFly? 600i?

3 Likes

Dragonfly. Lol. :slight_smile:

December 01 - at 200m, the 890 Jump (which I’m very surprised to see in a Free Fly list) is the biggest ship in the game at the moment I think.

3 Likes

hahaha DragonFly… epic fail, I meant Catepillar. But let’s leave it there and say I made a joke.

3 Likes

Just checked out the 890 Jump with that compare tool… wow, it’s big, makes the Hammerhead look like a baby shark.

3 Likes

Do doo do do dodooo.

4 Likes

That looks quite interesting.

2 Likes

Well, here it is. As I said in the podcast, I’ll give this a fair shot to see what all the fuss is about, and whether or not my biases against the game is valid or not. I won’t have a tonne of time to play, and definitely not over the weekend, but I’ll register and get it downloaded and make sure I’m ready for some flying action during next week.

4 Likes

This may not sway any skeptics, but will maybe provide some insight into why people believe in and back this project (one person’s reason at least).

Also, the new Welcome Hub and Guide System are now available to help new players. Us veterans can sign up to be guides.

2 Likes

CitizenCon stream is live!

2 Likes