Starfield: Made for Wanderers

Starfield is the first new universe in over 25 years from Bethesda Game Studios. The space-based role-playing adventure game arrives in September.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/starfield-made-for-wanderers/
1 Like

Really cool that they’ve created a new universe. I know they mentioned Solo but I kinda got a Serenity vibe.

2 Likes

Also revealed by Todd Howard at the end of the Launch Date Reveal Trailer is that there will be a dedicated Starfield Direct deep dive presentation happening on Sunday, 11 June.

Announced shortly afterwards was that the Starfield Direct presentation would follow the Summer Xbox Games Showcase on the same day.

11 June is the Sunday slap bang in between The Summer Game Fest and the start of E3-2023, so the timing of Starfield Direct and the Xbox Games Showcase has clearly been planned to coincide with having the global gaming world’s attention all in the same place at that time. Should be fun.

3 Likes

Starfield Direct Livestream

Lots of detail and gameplay info in the Direct. May get round to a summary later, but here’s some links to read through in the meanwhile:

3 Likes

Starfield (Gameplay Trailer)

Bethesda | 6 September 2023

Pre-orders available now.

Pre-order now and receive “Old Mars Skin Pack” in-game bonus skins.

Two digital editions - Standard and Premium.

Premium Edition includes:

• Starfield Base Game
  • Shattered Space Story Expansion (upon release)
  • Up to 5 days early access*
  • Constellation Skin Pack: Equinox Laser Rifle, Spacesuit, Helmet and Boost Pack
  • Access to Starfield Digital Artbook & Original Soundtrack

Pricing for outright purchase is very high. You’ll pay less for a full year of Game Pass on PC or Console (and potentially significantly less - R79 - if you subscribe for a single month just to play the game.)

Game Pass - Game Pass Sub / R649 - R585

Base game included as Day One Release on Game Pass.
Premium Edition Upgrade @ R649 or R585 for GP Subscribers.

PC - Steam - R1399 / R1959

Xbox / Windows - R1399 / R1999

2 Likes

I might just be out of the loop, but is Bethesda now a Microsoft exclusive? Like, no more PS games?

1 Like

Yip. When MS bought Bethesda (in 2021 I want to say?) Phil Spencer was asked about future PlayStation releases for Bethesda games and he said they would consider doing it on a “case by case basis”. I suspect it’ll probably become something like the Sony approach to their recent PS exclusives (God of War, Spider-Man, etc.) Keep it Xbox/Windows exclusive for 2 or so years to help push Xbox console sales and Game Pass subscriptions. Then, possibly, release a PS version.

3 Likes

I must get this game. The question is just which way. I am NOT a fan of the game pass downloader. I am a big fan of the steam downloader (unless even the steam version runs a starfield launcher/downloader). R2K for a PC game, ouch.

5 Likes

As a single player game I don’t see why it would need a separate launcher. The new Steam listing for Forza Motorsport by comparison does note: This title uses 3rd-party DRM (Microsoft Xbox Live). Don’t see anything like that on the Starfield page.

For sure doing the 125GB download with Steam is probably the better option for you - I agree that the Xbox downloader is pants.

But if you do go with Steam then, as you mention, there’s the little issue of R1400 - R2000 for a PC game… :thinking:

1 Like

To be fair, I’ve found the Xbox App to be a lot better these days. Last time I had an issue was with the Forza Horizon 5 download, but since then it’s been pretty good.

The more I see of this game I can’t help comparing it to No Man’s Sky - does that make this then… No Man’s Skyrim? :laughing:

4 Likes

I already set aside steam wallet cash for this. So barring any egregious crap from bethesda or a downright crap game, I’ll be dropping EVERYTHING else for this.

4 Likes

The one thing I really desperately need in the game pass downloader is a bandwidth throttler. Steam has it, blizzard has it and Epic has it. It means I can download a game and still do work during the day. Without it I can only download when everyone is asleep and that can rarely happen because of loadshedding.

3 Likes

He actually refers to it as this in the video.

4 Likes

Ah I can understand that. I see that there is a workaround but it is a pain that it’s not easily configured in the app itself. Looks like they still have some work to do.

3 Likes

It’s not much, but Green Man Gaming does have a 12% discount on the Steam pricing.

Starfield Premium Edition | PC - Steam | Game Keys (greenmangaming.com)

3 Likes

Gameplay trailer, includes 20s of actual gameplay lol.

5 Likes

I wonder if those three seconds of “In-Game Footage” at the start of it are a bit of a story spoiler?

That looks decidedly like the ruined remains of the St Louis Gateway Arch.

Have humans abandoned Earth? Were we forced off planet through climate collapse or alien invasion? Is Earth now a tourism destination - a set of planet-wide ruins? All will be revealed in the next thrilling gameplay trailer!

:smiley:

4 Likes

I also found that work around, it will certainly help and is doable. Thanks for putting me on the trail. Maybe I can convince some of the money bags friends I have in other countries to buy me the game :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Corporate greed. We’ll eventually land up as belters

2 Likes