Steam relaxes Trading Card confirmations

Sing hallelujah!

Relaxed Confirmation Requirements

We shipped a change earlier today to reduce the number of cases confirmation is required to list an item on the market. Items that typically sell for under $1.00 USD will no longer require confirmation when the list price is reasonably within the median price, but confirmation will still be required once many of those cheaper items are listed. Confirmation will still be required on all rare and valuable items.

3 Likes

I sold over 200 cards this year and had to fill in a tax form thing. it’s pretty crazy.

I havent had to do that, but then again I have a tendency to sell them as soon as I get them. The only ones I dont sell are the ones worth less than 50c

That sounds nuts.

A tax form? I wonder if thats going to appear on your next tax return

It’s more to do with US citizens.

Why am I being asked to provide tax information?

The United States Internal Revenue Service, under Section 6050W of the Internal Revenue Code, requires us to collect certain information from you if you engage in more than 200 separate sales transactions in a calendar year. In particular, if you are a U.S. citizen or resident, you will need to provide us with your name, address and Social Security Number, and if you are not a U.S. citizen or resident, you will need to provide evidence of your non-U.S. status on an online form we provide to you. We will be providing a link to these forms and a process by which you can provide the needed information if and as you approach the 200 sales limit. We may use a third-party to collect this information. You can choose not to provide this information if you wish, but you will not be able to list any items for sale in the Community Market once you meet the 200 sales threshold, and any items listed will be removed. Note that, while we are required to collect this information from you, we are not required to share this information with the IRS under Section 6050W unless you exceed $20,000 in gross sales in the Community Market within a single calendar year. For purposes of calculating the number of sales you have made in a calendar year, all of your accounts will be treated as a single account.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6088-udxm-7214&amp%3Bl=polish#whyforms

2 Likes

I noticed last night when I sold a few cards that I didn’t have to confirm them in the app - I admit to being a bit confused at first.

Be honest. It’s because you’re some shady Russian card reseller :grin:

1 Like

Haha yep, I’m a shady Russian card reseller.

I made the mistake of not selling any cards last year and then just collecting more and more. And then with Shadow of War being so cheap over the weekend I quickly put most of my cards on sale. Made enough for Shadow of War and bought Dreamfall Chapters today.

And a tip for those who don’t know. If you make use of Enhanced Steam then you can sell cards much easier.

3 Likes