Tech Support Hotline

In my experience a UPS isn’t really meant to keep everything running, it’s just so it can give you time to “gracefully” shut down your devices, stopping hard drive damage and data loss.

I feel like the topic is around here somewhere, where i had to get all the details of what would be plugged into the ups, so i could work out their combined power draw, and then get a ups that would allow me to at least shut down my pc so it doesn’t get damaged

4 Likes

The batteries definitely need replacing. The batteries went very quickly though. And even initially the UPS didn’t keep the router and such up for long.

Like @TechThief said. It basically just gives you time to switch off whatever’s plugged into it.

1 Like

Very true. I was simply trying to find an inexpensive way to maintain power if only for 2 hours.

I could be wrong, but don’t they use (a small) motorbike batteries? A 2kVA would have maybe 4 batteries?

2 Likes

They use 12v-9ah batteries. Not sure how many. I wouldn’t recommend them to maintain power for gaming for 2 hours.

I’m using these for a fibre box and mikrotik router, both of which, are 12V.

https://www.takealot.com/vizia-wifi-ups-28-000mwh-5-9-12v-mini-dc-backup-battery-power-up/PLID54505551

Unfortunately, I don’t see the 5V/12V/12V model anymore, only the 5V/9V/12V. There are larger ones on sale there though. I specifically chose the 28000mwh battery version, because the larger the battery, the longer it takes to charge fully, And I was thinking of the worst case scenario, that we all experience with stage 43 fucking loadshedding, where you only have a gap of 2hours, to recharge. And at 28000, it already lasts 4 hours. Actually using 3 in the house, so all the switches don’t go down.

That said, i had one of the 3 go bad. So my success rate is only 2 of 3.

Also had 2 mecer UPS’. Not great, but they’re meant to give you enough time to shutdown, not power things forever.

2 Likes

Here the topic is, i still have the ups listed there from wootware, it last about 10 minutes when i played CoD warzone

1 Like

Got that exact same thing to power router and NTU, does a good enough job. Thanks for the feedback ya’ll.

Between my dad’s laptop not keeping a connection with his printer (I get it working by running the trouble shooter after each print - not ideal) and the Kip Plotter that has lost the plot I am going insane.

1 Like

Printers can go die in a fire, i know my comment isn’t going to help, but i have been struggling with a small business and their shared printer which broke because of windows updates for a month now, and even if we hide the one update, the next update just breaks it again, i am done with printers honestly…

3 Likes

That is how I feel, I know for a fact its one of the lasts updates that broke the printer, but I cannot fix it, my IT knowledge is not far reaching.

1 Like

Managed to get the plotter working but dad’s laptop still won’t print

IT departments LOVE to outsource printers to companies. I like the way one of my friends used to put it. Anytime one of their techs would come out to fix a printer issue, or even just replace a toner, you can see they’re dead inside.

(Sorry to anyone who works for one of these companies. Your sacrifice is not unappreciated)

2 Likes

Printers are a pet peeve of mine. We’ve got the technology to video chat literally around the world, we’ve put people on the moon, we have self driving race cars, and rockets that land themselves on a tiiiiiny fucking barge on the sea but still we can’t get a bastard printer to sodding print the way I FUCKING SAID IN THEHE PRINT DIALOG.

Modern engineering mystery, those things.

5 Likes

So seems my fancy schmancy “smart” tv (Hisense) that I bought, doesn’t update their apps (big surprise). As a result of this, Plex has now stopped working. I seem unable to get it to work using ONLY local media (it REALLY wants you to check in with their home servers).
So now I’m looking for alternative.

For those that don’t know, plex can be used as a local media server for moves/series etc. So basically i have a bunch of (totally legal, i own these all on blu-ray and dvd and vhs i SWEAR) videos on my pc, that acts as a server to my tv. so on my tv i would just open the plex app. and boom, theres all the movies/series to watch right there.

I’m trying to find a way to continue to do this without having to resort to plugging in a media box/HTPC/chromecast type thing…but I think i may have to.

Anyone have any advise or comments on what THEY have setup and what works for them? I just wanna watch the vids that are on my main pc on my tv…which is meant to be “smart” but doesnt appear to be

3 Likes

Does your tv support DLNA?

1 Like

We’ve been having odd issues with Plex on our Hi-Sense (not so) Smart TV recently too. About 10 days ago the entire app disappeared completely from the interface. Then it came back out of the blue, but now won’t connect to the server at all. It doesn’t show my account as logged in, but won’t let me sign out or do anything at all. It’s well weird.

I did find this notice in my messages:

It doesn’t specifically mention Plex (and it’s not the same TV brand) but may be related to your issues?

I have the old Xbox connected to the TV and the Plex app on that works fine :man_shrugging:

Does your TV have a decent browser? (Ours doesn’t, it’s utter shite). If it does, maybe try connecting to your server through http://app.plex.tv/

2 Likes

It SAYS yes under “dlna compliance” in the spec sheets for online stores…but i’ve not seen anything related in the settings. I DID try the “offline” type dlna settings in plex. the tv app itself seems to want to call home before it tries anything else, thats the problem.

@GregRedd , the browser is SHITE. we gave up trying to watch twitch via the tv (no app, browser only) and basically stream that via phone casting…but thats not something i wanna do daily for series/movies that my wife watches.

2 Likes

Plex is the culprit. When I had regular internet outages, Plex flat refused to play local network media, in spite of me setting it up exactly as specified. It’s become a bloated, overloaded thing that really lost all its focus ages ago.

I switched to Emby. It’s a fork of Kodi (previously XBMC) and it does the job well. I’ve also heard great things about jellyfin, a fork of Emby that endeavours to be completely FOSS.

I run Emby in a docker container from Linux server.io on my Ubuntu media server, with media on 5400 hard drives mounted as volumes to the container. I’ve even put a Caddy reverse proxy in front of it, so that I can access it when I’m not home.

2 Likes

Talking of apps stopping working: I run all my media apps on an Nvidia Shield. All apps work at full 4K as it is an official Android certified device. But last week Disney+ stopped working. When you launch the app it says there is an update, so you click on “UPDATE” but the Play Store says this app is no longer supported… So no Disney+ support!

They pulled this stunt a while ago with Minecraft for the Shield as well as aparently there was a mod that allowed your system to play protected media.

I had to sideload Minecraft and will prob do the same with Disney+. I see no moral problem as I am a legal Disney+ subscriber yet now have no access to my subscription…

Media rights should just drop regional locks. It is so daft in the global village we live in

1 Like

ye i tried running kodi some time back on a spare rasperry pi i had (v1…OLD stuff) and sadly even just the barebones OS was super laggy…old pi definitely wasnt cut out for transcoding. The problem with emby or some other local media storage, is how i get my tv to “see” it, without having a seperate box next to my tv…
Think i might just need to look for special for a mibox or something :confused: