That one game

Some people are crazy enough (and lucky enough, I suppose) to spend thousands of hours on one game. I generally lose interest after a few hours.

The game I spent the most hours on is League of Legends, around 300 hours, which is nothing compared to most of you guys here.

Here’s a scenario: You’re sentenced to life in prison, it could even be a prison where you’re immortal. The judge is merciful and allows you to take with you 1 game. What is that one game that you think you could play into infinity?

I’m not sure if I should take an MMO - started playing Guild Wars 2 a few years ago (then stopped). But there’s quite a lot to do to keep me busy for a while, but probably not into infinity.
Or maybe a strategy game with replayability like Civilizations?

Looking at the Elite Dangerous thread - that might be the best bet. Never played it though.

Best would be not to go to jail, right?

4 Likes

Guild Wars 2 is incidentally the game I’ve spent the most time on. I’ve out in more than 500 hours in the base game with only 4 characters. None of them have 100% world completion and I haven’t done most of the dungeons, not to mention the raids. And all this only in the base game… I recently got both expansions, which should add another 50 odd hours of content for each character. So I have another 4 (5?) classes to master as well.

Just by looking at my little statement above, Guild Wars 2 would be a very good candidate for my infinite game. Games like Civilization have seeming replayability, but you end up playing the same match on a slightly different map with a slightly different tech tree. I’ve never put in more than 40 odd hours into a Civ game before putting it to rest. I’ve played Civ 2-6 and realized they’re all just slight improvements on one another and don’t change the core gameplay at all. As much as I love Destiny 2, I’m not sure it has enough content to keep me going for more than 500 hours… I’ve never really played any other MMOs to compare, but I suppose World of Warcraft also has a ton of content to work through in life imprisonment.

So short answer: Guild Wars 2, as I know and love the game and can spend 50+ years with it.

2 Likes

Well judging by hours alone, my one game would be CSGO. I’ve put in over 1000 hours which pales in comparison to what some people have played. It’s one of those games where you can always improve. Every match is different by virtue of the different opponents and team members you have. But also your own game varies each time. The strategy, tactics, reflexes, the tension, all of it keeps me coming back for more.

2 Likes

If I had an active connection I would probably chose Destiny 2, as I have put over 1000 hours into both of them collectively.

If have no internet connection probably be Dark Souls, as I have probably accumulated 3000 hours collectively over the series.

2 Likes

12 years of Eve, no idea how many hours. Definitely my pick for eternal gaming hell. As long as there are other people stuck in that hell with you.

1091 hours in GW2, would be pick 2

2 Likes

Bloodborne or Nioh.

2 Likes

World of Warcraft would be mine, but only if I am allowed to get the latest patches/expansions as they come. And as Shrike said, only if other people are in this hell with me. Otherwise it would be one lonely, boring MMO. I’d rather not know how many hours I have put into WoW.

2 Likes

This is rather difficult, most played games are things like WoW (never again), Destiny 2, Warframe, GW2 and then things like Stardew Valley, Starbound and so on.

Honestly I cant pick one - So I will struggle :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The binding of Isaac.

Endless replay ability with no run ever being the same as the previous one.

1 Like

Wow, ESO, DDO, skyrim, GTA, skyrim, skyrim :sweat_smile:

Mostly online games due to new content, but skyrim’s replayability has been amazing. It’s a proper challenge not defaulting to sneaky archer every time, but if you manage, it changes the game dynamics drastically!
edit 2: skyrim, not rubbish skyrim special edition, with mods, blackjack and hookers

2 Likes

Now theres a game with some long term replayability

2 Likes

Diablo 3 is the game I’ve probably sunk the most hours into—thousands—but Warframe is the game I would take with me. Especially if I’m allowed to make videos, it would be the game that lasts me the longest. Only started playing last year and already at 900 hours.

Will the judge allow us to switch to a game’s sequel if it comes out during our infinity?

1 Like

a game that has taken the most of my time would be Need for speed III hot Pursuit, i played it for hours on end and even created a majority of mods for it. but it is a linear game and i still play it every now and then for the sake of nostalgia. i wouldnt take it to prison with me though cause its a racing game and i would go crazy playing a racing over and over and over for infinity.

I would take GTA 5, its a racing game, its a sports game its a flying game, its an action game its a shooter, essentially its almost every single game in one so that is the game i would take with me.

1 Like

I wanted to mention Diablo 3 as well, as I’ve also spent a good 200+ hours on it. Thing is that I realised I’d get bored with it over that long period, as I’ve already become. Some more maps, quests, another couple of classes and maybe even a PvP mode (ala Nox form back in the day) would do wonders in making Diablo 3 an infinitely playable game.

1 Like

We’ll see what they do with Diablo 4, especially after getting a bit of a smack from the community after the Diablo Immortal announcement. Maybe that becomes our prison game :wink:

For infinity I would pick football manager.

This is too hard I like variety in my games. I have 370 hours in killing floor 2 and about 300 hours in vermintide 2 Over a 1000 hour in Guild Wars 2. Payday 2 about 600 hours.

But I would then probably pick path of exile since that is the one game with many different paths.

Great responses, with some interesting suggestions, thanks.
I agree that most of them could work.
I don’t understand Football Manager though, but I generally shy away from sport and sport managing games.