The 2022 Grammy Awards

The 2022 Grammy Awards, delayed from the beginning of the year, took place last night. Hosted by Trevor Noah, the ceremony saw Jon Batiste (he of Musical Director for the Late Show with Stephen Colbert and Stay Human band leader fame) take home the biggest haul of the night, including the surprise of the winning the big one - the Album of the Year.

In addition to Noah, South Africa were represented amongst the winners table too in the form of local DJ, producer, and songwriter, Black Coffee who won his first ever Grammy in the Best Dance/Electronic Music Album category for his sixth studio album, 'Subconsciously’.

Here’s a list of most of the major award winners. For a complete list, and to see the nominees in all the categories, visit the Official Grammy’s site.

• Album of the Year: Jon Batiste – ‘We Are’
  • Record of the Year: Silk Sonic – ‘Leave The Door Open’
  • Song of the Year: Silk Sonic – ‘Leave The Door Open’
  • Best New Artist: Olivia Rodrigo
  • Best Pop Solo Performance: Olivia Rodrigo – ‘Drivers License’
  • Best Pop Duo/Group Performance: Doja Cat Featuring SZA – ‘Kiss Me More’
  • Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga – ‘Love For Sale’
  • Best Pop Vocal Album: Olivia Rodrigo – ‘Sour’
  • Best Rock Performance: Foo Fighters – ‘Making A Fire’
  • Best Metal Performance: Dream Theater – ‘The Alien’
  • Best Rock Song: Grohl, Hawkins, Jaffee, Mendel, Shiflett & Smear – ‘Waiting On A War’ (Foo Fighters)
  • Best Rock Album: Foo Fighters – ‘Medicine At Midnight’
  • Best Dance/Electronic Recording: RĂŒfĂŒs du Sol – ‘Alive’
  • Best Dance/Electronic Music Album: Black Coffee – Subconsciously’
  • Best Alternative Music Album: St. Vincent – ‘Daddy’s Home’
  • Best R&B Performance: Silk Sonic – ‘Leave the Door Open’ & Jazmine Sullivan – ‘Pick Up Your Feelings’
  • Best R&B Song: Anderson, Brown, Emile II & Mars – ‘Leave The Door Open’ (Silk Sonic)
  • Best R&B Album: Jazmine Sullivan – ‘Heaux Tales’
  • Best Rap Performance: Baby Keem, Kendrick Lamar – ‘Family Ties’
  • Best Rap Album: Tyler, the Creator – ‘Call Me If You Get Lost’
  • Best Rap Song: Kanye West, Jay-Z – ‘Jail’
  • Best Bluegrass Album: BĂ©la Fleck – ‘My Bluegrass Heart’
  • Best Traditional Blues Album: Cedric Burnside – ‘I Be Trying’
  • Best Contemporary Blues Album: Christone “Kingfish” Ingram – ‘662’
  • Best Folk Album: Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi – ‘They’re Calling Me Home’
  • Best Reggae Album: Jesse Royal – Royal Soja – ‘Beauty In the Silence’
  • Best Global Music Album: AngĂ©lique Kidjo – ‘Mother Nature’
  • Best New Age Album: Stewart Copeland, Ricky Kej – ‘Divine Tides’
  • Best Remixed Recording: Deftones – ‘Passenger (Mike Shinoda Remix)’
  • Best Contemporary Instrumental Album: Taylor Eigsti – ‘Tree Falls’
  • Best Country Solo Performance: Chris Stapleton – ‘You Should Probably Leave’
  • Best Country Duo/Group Performance: Brothers Osborne – ‘Younger Me’
  • Best Country Song: Cobb, Cure, Mixon & Stapleton – ‘Cold’ (Chris Stapleton)
  • Best Country Album: Chris Stapleton – ‘Starting Over’
  • Best Improvised Jazz Solo: Chick Corea ‘Humpty Dumpty (Set 2)’
  • Best Jazz Vocal Album: Esperanza Spalding – ‘Songwrights Apothecary Lab’
  • Best Jazz Instrumental Album: Ron Carter, Jack DeJohnette & Gonzalo Rubalcaba – ‘Skyline’
  • Best Gospel Performance/Song: CeCe Winans – ‘Never Lost’
  • Best Contemporary Christian Music Performance/Song: CeCe Winans; Dwan Hill, Kyle Lee, CeCe Winans & Mitch Wong – ‘Believe For It’
  • Best Gospel Album: CeCe Winans – ‘Believe For It’
  • Best Contemporary Christian Music Album: Elevation Worship & Maverick City Music – ‘Old Church Basement’
  • Best Global Music Performance: Arooj Aftab – ‘Mohabbat’
  • Best Children’s Music Album: Falu – ‘A Colorful World’
  • Best Compilation Soundtrack For Visual Media: Andra Day – ‘The United States Vs. Billie Holiday’
  • Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media: Carlos Rafael Rivera – ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ & Jon Batiste, Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross – ‘Soul’
  • Best Music Video: Jon Batiste – ‘Freedom’
  • Best Music Film: Various Artists – ‘Summer Of Soul’

* Record of the Year is awarded for a single or for one track from an album. This award goes to the performing artist, the producer, recording engineer and/or mixer for that song. In this sense, “record” means a particular recorded song, not its composition or an album of songs.
* Song of the Year is also awarded for a single or individual track, but the recipient of this award is the songwriter who actually wrote the lyrics and/or melodies to the song. “Song” in this context means the song as composed, not its recording.
* Album of the Year is awarded for a whole album, and the award is presented to the artist, songwriter, producer, recording engineer, and mastering engineer for that album. In this context, “album” means a recorded collection of songs (a multi-track LP, CD, or download package), not the individual songs or their compositions.

1 Like

Black Coffee - Subconsciously

Jon Batiste - We Are

Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Love For Sale

Foo Fighters - Medicine at Midnight

St. Vincent - Daddy’s Home

1 Like

Oooh another comedian host - I wonder who will slap him?

1 Like

Too soon, dude, too soon! :smiley:

I love Jon Batiste! From Stephen Colbert, his albums and then he did the music for Pixar’s Soul! He is so talented!

I also learned here that Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails!!! and Atticus Ross shared the Grammy for Soul! Wow!

Trent also did the music for Quake :wink:

3 Likes

Absolutely same! If you haven’t yet, We Are is a wonderful album. Worthy of the Album of the Year award. If you liked the Soul soundtrack, you’ll like We Are.

2 Likes

Nice to see Rufus Du Sol in there, along with Dream Theater (I love them).

3 Likes