The Baking Tin

So far we have baked muffins (I say we but nima did the baking)

Just one of those premix vanilla mixes from snowflake - its good, but next time we add blueberries to break the sweetness

I also made coconut ice but didn’t add enough dry materials so it took 4 days to dry out and by then we had finished the batch.

Next up will be chocolate cake for xmas and I wanna make lepelsteltjies! (aka savory cheese cookies with jam)
LEPELSTEELTJIES-225x250

3 Likes

Pro tip (not that I’m a pro), try using the muffin mix to make a cake. Comes out so much bigger and fluffy.

3 Likes

Will def try that next time - its sweet enough to be cake

Yeah, we often use muffin mixes for cupcakes and cakes alike. We just make some icing to go on top or even mix cherries or nuts into the batter before baking.

1 Like

I made a packet of cappuccino muffin mix in my rice cooker. Took two full cook sessions, but it came out really good!

2 Likes

I’m looking at some recipes, why would the filling require flour and corn flour?

2 Likes

Adding corn flour to a recipe usually means thickening needs to happen, maybe it is in your recipe to thicken the filling. Wheat flour also thickens but it does not do as much as corn flour or as easily.

3 Likes

That’s my thinking too, which is why I thought it strange to add both. I have never come across any recipe that calls for that, normally just one or the other, of course in different quantities.

1 Like

One or the other surely.

1 Like

1 Like

A sufficiently tall milktart shake is indistinguishable from bum shake

Mental pictures! You’re welcome

I made milktart a couple weeks ago when my parents arrived. They brought graham crackers with, and we made the crust from those. It was… ok. They really liked it, but I’d rather save those crackers for cheesecake.

You will want cornflour in it, for sure. Although I would find a .co.za site for the recipe. Food.com doesn’t always nail local recipes, but honestly, that does look about right… But I’m Canadian, so what would I know. There’s not even maple syrup in milktart.

3 Likes

Yeah, not my go-to source for recipes, but I also don’t like to follow videos.

Think I’ll follow this one, though it might prove cheaper to buy one from Checkers than actually make it myself. Though I already have most of the ingredients.

Think I’ll follow this one:

3 Likes

We bought a milktart from PNP for our small group on Tuesday, since we were asked to bring a snack at short notice. It was good enough.

I remember one time I made a milktart and took it to my friends. As we were sitting around eating it, one guy goes, “It’s almost as good as pick n’ pay’s”. I ended up saying, “Almost?!”

“It IS better”.

I was all like, “Too late”

The woolies recipe looks good to me!

Sounds like it is time to bump The Baking Tin

3 Likes

So… Can’t say I’m that impressed with the outcome. I don’t have a pie tin thingie so just used one of my casserole dishes. The crust didn’t bake properly in the middle when I took it out and removed the foil and rice, but I think that might be our oven.

Anyway, some pics for my first ever attempt at making milk tart.

3 Likes

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You don’t have the right baking dish and a dodgy oven, and still produced something that is recognisable as a melktart. It doesn’t look that bad - I have definitely seen (and politely eaten) worse. How it tastes and the happy smiles of those who eat it are all that matter.

3 Likes

My parents absolutely ignored me when I said we’re making milktart today.

:tired_face:

3 Likes

Your parents are mean. Send them back to Canada and get new ones.
:smiley:

3 Likes

It came out more like a deep dish milk tart. I mean for all intents and purposes it tastes like milk tart :sweat_smile:

I just don’t like how jelly like the tart is, I really dunno why it calls for flour and corn flour. But the crust at the edges was amazing.

2 Likes

I like how the crust can be crispy one day and soft the next.

3 Likes