The Baking Tin

A sufficiently tall milktart shake is indistinguishable from bum shake

Mental pictures! You’re welcome

I made milktart a couple weeks ago when my parents arrived. They brought graham crackers with, and we made the crust from those. It was… ok. They really liked it, but I’d rather save those crackers for cheesecake.

You will want cornflour in it, for sure. Although I would find a .co.za site for the recipe. Food.com doesn’t always nail local recipes, but honestly, that does look about right… But I’m Canadian, so what would I know. There’s not even maple syrup in milktart.

3 Likes

Yeah, not my go-to source for recipes, but I also don’t like to follow videos.

Think I’ll follow this one, though it might prove cheaper to buy one from Checkers than actually make it myself. Though I already have most of the ingredients.

Think I’ll follow this one:

3 Likes

We bought a milktart from PNP for our small group on Tuesday, since we were asked to bring a snack at short notice. It was good enough.

I remember one time I made a milktart and took it to my friends. As we were sitting around eating it, one guy goes, “It’s almost as good as pick n’ pay’s”. I ended up saying, “Almost?!”

“It IS better”.

I was all like, “Too late”

The woolies recipe looks good to me!

Sounds like it is time to bump The Baking Tin

3 Likes

So… Can’t say I’m that impressed with the outcome. I don’t have a pie tin thingie so just used one of my casserole dishes. The crust didn’t bake properly in the middle when I took it out and removed the foil and rice, but I think that might be our oven.

Anyway, some pics for my first ever attempt at making milk tart.

3 Likes

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You don’t have the right baking dish and a dodgy oven, and still produced something that is recognisable as a melktart. It doesn’t look that bad - I have definitely seen (and politely eaten) worse. How it tastes and the happy smiles of those who eat it are all that matter.

3 Likes

My parents absolutely ignored me when I said we’re making milktart today.

:tired_face:

3 Likes

Your parents are mean. Send them back to Canada and get new ones.
:smiley:

3 Likes

It came out more like a deep dish milk tart. I mean for all intents and purposes it tastes like milk tart :sweat_smile:

I just don’t like how jelly like the tart is, I really dunno why it calls for flour and corn flour. But the crust at the edges was amazing.

2 Likes

I like how the crust can be crispy one day and soft the next.

3 Likes

So we baked some scones over the weekend and this has become my go-to recipe for the Queen’s scones, completed with freshly whipped cream and strawberry jam.

Ingredients

• 250g (1 ⅞ cup) plain flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 45g (¼ cup) unrefined caster sugar
  • 50g (¼ cup) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
  • 1 free-range egg
  • 70ml (¼ cup) buttermilk
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 extra egg yolk and a pinch of salt for the egg wash
  • home-made jam and clotted cream

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 220 ° C (425°F, gas mark 7).
  2. Sift the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the chilled diced butter and begin to gently rub into the dry ingredients using your fingertips. Once the butter has all been incorporated, gently add the buttermilk and egg into the dry ingredients until a soft, slightly sticky dough is achieved.
  3. Remove the dough from the bowl and place onto a lightly floured work surface. The dough must be handled carefully at this stage so that it isn’t overworked. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to an even thickness of 2 cm, ensuring that the dough comes off the work surface easily.
  4. Dip the cutter into some flour before cutting out as many scones as you can, placing them evenly spaced on to a baking tray. If you invert the scones as you place them on the baking tray they will rise more evenly during baking. Brush the scones with the egg wash, being careful to brush only the tops and not the sides of the scones.
  5. Place on the middle shelf of the preheated oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Once baked remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
3 Likes

Any idea which is the right way to serve them? Apparently this causes some arguments in parts of England.

Strawberry first and then clotted cream
Clotted cream and Strawberry ontop

1 Like

Always clotted cream then strawberry

Lol, I would probably do Strawberry first and then cream.

Its how we do livance (like a crumpet) we put strawberry then cream.

1 Like

Cream and then strawberry jam, as depicted.

1 Like

Just give me a bit of butter on a warm scone and I’m happy

2 Likes