The Formula 1 Thread 🏎

Yeah, Tweet posted a couple up from well respected Sky News business reporter suggests sale of “a large stake” of the company.

2 Likes

It’s F1 Silly Season, except this year it’s happening in the virtual boardrooms rather than the race paddock…

This, translated from German business newspaper Handelsblatt:

The German car manufacturer Mercedes has again rejected recurring speculations about a possible exit from Formula 1 and has also commented on the role of Toto Wolff.

“We have no plans to withdraw from Formula 1”, Daimler spokesman Joerg Howe told the German Press Agency on Thursday: “There is no decision and no reason to withdraw from Formula 1”.

The currently still unsettled contract question after this season with team boss and managing director Toto Wolff has always been and still is causing rumours about its future.

There is speculation that the 48-year-old Austrian could retire from the operative business. “Toto is and will remain our team boss - beyond the season”, Howe confirmed when asked, however.

2 Likes

Wow, rumours of Toto retiring and moving out of Merc, whole host of driver changes, Williams being sold, new rules and budget caps, new car designs in 2 years…the F1 landscape is going to be very different in the next few years.

4 Likes

“Options being considered include, but are not limited to, raising new capital for the business, a divestment of a minority stake in WGPH, or a divestment of a majority stake in WGPH including a potential sale of the whole Company.

“Whilst no decisions have been made regarding the optimal outcome yet, to facilitate discussions with interested parties, the Company announces the commencement of a ‘formal sale process’.”

This has got to be hurting Sir Frank so much. :frowning:

2 Likes

I know williams tried everything, I also had a feeling this was coming. I feel sorry for Claire and Sir Frank but there is no hope for them to go on as they have.

1 Like

I really feel for Williams. With their great history and the last truly independent teams left it will be sad to see them go / change ownership.

But at the same time I want a team that can be more competitive. If that means bringing in new blood then so be it.

On a side note, this might just be the push Merc needs for Russell. Rather than lose him, move him to partner Lewis. Just do it already!

3 Likes

Apparently Latifi’s family is buying out williams. . . . this is what my dad has picked up from his various forums.
https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=901866&sid=ad099f129495f20f886672d4bc8d9c73#p901866

And Toto the story there is the owner of AMG is taking over the management of Aston Martin . . . So who knows where toto will go - there is apparently lots of cannodling going on

2 Likes
1 Like

All this news makes me a little sad. I was really rooting for Williams, and I had a feeling they would do better this year.

3 Likes
1 Like

Kimi received a wonderful gift from Ferrari today… the SF71H that he won the 2018 US GP with.

And installed in his garage/showroom:

3 Likes

Let’s go racing!!

Austrian media and the state broadcaster are reporting that the Austrian Ministry of Health has confirmed that the race plan presented by the race organizers meets their health requirements, and that Formula 1 can hold two back-to-back, spectator free race weekends at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg on 05 and 12 July.

Minister of Health Rudolf Anschober: “The organizer has presented a concept for implementation that is based on the special requirements of the Formula 1 GP and the necessary protective measures against the spread of the corona virus. In addition to strict hygiene measures, the concept also provides for regular tests and health checks for the teams and all other employees, as well as a specific medical concept. For the Ministry of Health, the concept fulfills the requirements for preventing the spread of the Corona virus after a detailed review by the company’s experts - the crucial factor is the close coordination between the organizer and regional and local health authorities.

After the two Spielberg races, the third race in three weeks would start in Budapest on July 19. From there it would go on to Silverstone for the races on August 2nd and 9th, on August 16th the Grand Prix would be rescheduled in hot Spain, two weeks later the classic in the Belgian Spa-Francorchamps and again the Grand Prix a week later follow from Italy.

3 Likes

thanks for the update. just happy they starting

3 Likes

Provisional “European Leg” of the 2020 Formula 1 Grand Prix Championhip:

Initially Liberty planned to create clusters of ‘five weeks on, two weeks off’ to maximise the 11-week period from early July to mid-September while providing sufficient statutory rest periods for teams’ crews. This has been amended to ‘three on, one off’ consisting of a double-header at a circuit plus a single event at another venue before a weekend off.

The season is expected to begin with a triple-header

This would enable Liberty to stage eight (or even nine) races in Europe by mid-September, with Hockenheim standing by as replacement for Silverstone for two races if required:

• 5th July: Red Bull Ring
  • 12th July: Red Bull Ring
  • 19th July: Hungaroring (500km from Red Bull Ring)
  • 26th July: No race
  • 2nd August: Silverstone (Hockenheim)
  • 9th August: Silverstone (Hockenheim)
  • 16th August: Catalunya (1,700km from Silverstone via the English Channel
  • 23rd August: No race
  • 30th August: Spa-Francorchamps
  • 6th September: Monza, potentially as double-header should Singapore on September 20th be cancelled

According to sources, this European-leg calendar is expected to be announced on Monday, having already been circulated to teams.

(Hockenheim is being proposed as an alternative to Silverstone due to the announcement, by the British government, that quarantine periods of 14 days will be required for all cross-border travel for the foreseeable future. A few exemptions were announced, but none for sporting activities, whether for returning residents or visitors.)

5 Likes

Confirmed. My body is ready!

5 Likes

Im soooooooooooooooooooooooo excited its not funny!

2 Likes

It’s ideal for Verstappen. I think he won his last two races in Austria. I may be wrong but I remember something like that.

I can’t wait!

1 Like

I just want to see the true potential of the cars

I still dont think we saw their true colours at testing

Yay! So much racing in such a short period :smiley: Seven of the nine weekends through July and August. And all at sensible European times for us. We’re going to feel like soccer and rugby fans do :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh my hat, so super excited!

4 Likes