The Formula 1 Thread šŸŽ

Iā€™m not sure if I missed something, is there a specified reason for this? I donā€™t mind it, but Iā€™ve got no idea if itā€™s an Arab country thing, or if Guenther was the only one vetoing the move to Saturday races, or if itā€™s a leap year thing, or whatā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s due to a clash with the start of Ramadan, which is Sunday 10 March this year. Originally Saudi Arabia was scheduled to run on that Sunday and it was moved forward by a day as a result. To allow the teams the usual amount of time between back-to-back races, especially between the first two races of the season, it was decided to move Bahrain forward by a day as well.

2 Likes

Alsoā€¦

MEW F1 Fantasy League. Enter your team into our league on the official F1 Fantasy Game:

MEW Fantasy F1 2024

https://fantasy.formula1.com/en/leagues/join/C6Q5UQW1C10

Or manually enter League Code: C6Q5UQW1C10

Limited to one team per player, so if you have more than one set up, choose wisely! And if your team name is not obvious enough to connect to you, let us know here which team is yours.

Superbru pools are also open:

Join Formula Fans F1, my F1 Predictor league on Superbru! You can find my pool here:
https://www.superbru.com/f1/pool.php?p=12752805
or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code: dontoozy

Join Formula Fans MotoGP, my MotoGP league on Superbru! You can find my pool here:
https://www.superbru.com/motogp/pool.php?p=12767086
or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code: dubsconk

3 Likes

See? Mensch.

2 Likes

wow thank you

2 Likes

:smile:

1 Like

Your Ultimate Guide to The 2024 F1 Season

Buckle up for a thrilling 2024 F1 season filled with drama, intensity, and lightning-fast machines! Your F1 Ultimate Guide to the 2024 season. Discover the circuits, the drivers, and the fierce battles that make Formula 1 the pinnacle of motorsport. Prepare for unexpected twists, underdog stories, and the ultimate showdown!

Your Ultimate Guide to The 2024 F2 Season

New cars, new drivers, and a new venueā€¦ The new era of the FIA Formula 2 championship is fast approaching! Get ready for another unforgettable season on the Road to F1!

Your Ultimate Guide to The 2024 F3 Season

17 rookies and 13 returning drivers are all set for a sensational sixth FIA Formula 3 season. Sit down, strap in, and get up to speed!

1 Like

Loool, the Merc logo is the George pose upside down :rofl:

2 Likes

That was simply lovely mate

2 Likes

Breaking News: Formula 1 changes rules to stop drivers driving too slowly in qualifying:

• Investigation for Slow Driving: Drivers who drive too slowly during qualifying will be investigated after the qualifying session. This is to ensure fairness and prevent drivers from gaining an unfair advantage by impeding others or manipulating track position.

• Pit Lane Maneuvering Prohibited: Last season, some drivers deliberately drove very slowly in the pit lane to create a large gap on the track. This tactic will now be prohibited, as it can disrupt the flow of qualifying and create unsafe situations on the track.

• New Requirement for Speed: Drivers must stay on or below the maximum time set by the FIA ECU (Electronic Control Unit) in each marshalling sector and at both the first and second safety car lines. This means drivers must maintain a reasonable pace throughout the qualifying session and cannot excessively slow down to manipulate track position.

• Definition of Marshalling Sector: A marshalling sector is defined as the section of track between each of the FIA light panels. This provides clarity on the specific areas where drivers must adhere to the maximum time set by the FIA ECU.

• Potential Consequences: Any driver who exceeds the maximum time set by the FIA ECU may be deemed to be going unnecessarily slowly. Incidents of slow driving will typically be investigated after the qualifying session, and appropriate action may be taken based on the findings.

• Pit Lane Included: The rule change applies not only to the track but also to the pit lane. This ensures that drivers maintain an appropriate speed in all areas of the circuit, promoting safety and fair competition.

• Clarification of Existing Regulations: This rule change does not supersede existing regulations regarding slow driving, such as Article 33.4 and Article 37.5 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations, which apply to the entire circuit, including the pit lane.

• Immediate Enforcement: The rule change was prompted by incidents involving drivers like Max Verstappen last season.

4 Likes

No more George pose :sob:
We have a Lewis doing stoner bashing time, maybe that will get memeā€™d? I dunno. Iā€™m distraught.

2 Likes

The songs kinda fire :fire: :fire: :fire: not gonna lie

1 Like

So seems like same old same old. Had a scare with the Merc passing the Ferarri but that fixed itself. Best if the rest, Iā€™ll take it for now.

3 Likes

Came to say the same.

• Everyone having improved roughly the same amount from last year, so itā€™s all pretty stagnant.
  • That little Dutch boy continues to dominate the field in Adrian Neweyā€™s latest car.
  • Decent reliability across the field.
  • The top half of the Championship, after Max of course, is going to be juicy. Ferrari, Merc, McLaren, Aston all look racey, and some races will suit each better than others.
  • Sainz was my DotD, but if he wasnā€™t it would have been Stroll - something I never imagined Iā€™d ever say. Solid recovery drive after getting spun around and dropping to the back at T1 on the first lap.
  • RBs were the biggest disappointment of the weekend for me - expected them to have at least one car in the points. Good bitching banter from Yuki there though. DRic called it ā€œimmaturityā€ afterwards. :grinning:
  • Alpineā€™s the turd show of the weekend. I know how they feel - I also need to lose 30kgs.
  • Charlieā€™s luck continues its black period. He did get a good old ā€œwe are checkingā€ which caused a good laugh.
  • I regret switching Zhou for Hulk at the last minute in my F1 Fantasy team. Probably going to switch back before Saudi.
  • On that subject, grumpy (but in a good way) that the Macca boys did so well. Wanted them to do bad for the first few races so that their Fantasy pricing goes down a bit. I really want one of them on my team!
  • Jedda next Saturday will shake things up a bit hopefully. High speed street circuit with very little time to make major changes.
4 Likes

Jeremy ā€œIā€™ve had a shitload of beersā€ Clarkson did a thing:

2 Likes

Feels so weird not having an race today. I know it happened yesterday but it just doesnā€™t feel right not having a Sunday race when itā€™s a Rawe Ceek.

4 Likes

Right? Iā€™m grateful that the race was sooner but damn I feel robbed of my Sunday Race day

3 Likes

3 Likes

Lol. Itā€™s weird, but right. Gasly gets two points for positions gained, plus 4 for overtakes completed on track.

My man Nico on the other handā€¦ bottom of the list :roll_eyes:

Oh, and Albon is on zero because the 2 overtake points he got were cancelled out by the -2 for the positions he lost.

1 Like

2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix :saudi_arabia:

Jeddah Corniche Circuit | Jeddah | Saudi Arabia | 9 March

2024 F1 Season - Round 2 (Grand Prix 2 of 24)

The F1 calendarā€™s fastest street circuit (and second fastest circuit overall after Monza) is back for a fourth nighttime run down the narrow coastal strip through the Corniche area of the Saudi port city of Jeddah. In 2021, Jeddah became the fifth venue to host a full night F1 race, following the Grands Prix in Singapore, Bahrain, Sakhir and Qatar. This will be the second of a record three GPs that will take place on a Saturday this season. Last weekendsā€™ opening round in Abu Dhabi and the Las Vegas GP in November are the other two.

• Number of Times Held: 3
  • First Held: 2021
  • Most Wins (Drivers): Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen, Sergio Perez (1)
  • Most Wins (Constructors): Red Bull Racing (2)
  • Circuit Length: 6.174 km
  • Race Length: 308.450 km
  • Laps: 50
  • Race Lap Record: 1:30.735 (Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes W12, 2021)

Last Race (2023)

• Pole Position: Sergio PĆ©rez, Red Bull Racing-Honda RBPT, 1:28.265
  • Fastest Race Lap: Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing-Honda RBPT, 1:31.906

2023 Podium

1. Sergio PĆ©rez, Red Bull Racing-Honda RBPT, 1:21:14.894
  2. Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing-Honda RBPT, +5.355
  3. Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin Aramco-Mercedes, +20.728

The Schedule

Note that this is a Saturday Grand Prix!

With Ramadan scheduled to start on Sunday, the Jeddah streets will be alive with F1 action on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday this week. Saturday evening might be a good time to have your weekend braai?

The Circuit

When was the track built?
The Jeddah Corniche Circuit is, you wonā€™t be surprised to hear, a temporary street circuit (albeit adorned with some permanent sections), located on the Corniche ā€“ a 30km coastal resort area of the ancient Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah. Designed by the Tilke company, in conjunction with Formula 1ā€™s own Motorsports team ā€“ who used Google Earth for their initial investigations into potential layouts ā€“ F1ā€™s Ross Brawn said of the track: ā€œWhat we want to see is a race circuit. We donā€™t want Mickey Mouse circuits. We donā€™t want those old classic street circuits with 90 degree turns. We want fast sweeping circuits, circuits which are going to challenge the drivers ā€“ and they are going to love it.ā€

When was its first Grand Prix?
The inaugural Saudi Arabian Grand Prix took place in 2021, the race joining its Middle Eastern counterparts in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi ā€“ while like those races, the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix also takes place under floodlights.

Whatā€™s the circuit like?
Fast. Very fast. Average speeds around the Jeddah Corniche Circuit are around 250km/h ā€“ quicker than those at Silverstone, and second on the 2021 calendar only to Monza ā€“ aka ā€˜The Temple of Speedā€™. It is, quite simply, the fastest street circuit ever seen in Formula 1 ā€“ while the track also features the most corners on the calendar with 27, many of them quick, sinuous bends as the drivers wend their way along the Jeddah waterfront.

venueProfilePicture-b044972f-ad1f-4551-ba69-727c24f5158e

The Weather Forecast

Unsurprisingly, the weather outlook for Jeddah shows hot days and cool nights. Temperatures around race time on Saturday look to be a little warmer than in Bahrain last weekend, but the wind may again be a factor throughout the race weekend. Wind speeds of up to 30 km/h are expected on both Thursday and Friday evenings during FP 2 and Qualifying. Race time wind is not expected to be as strong, but it may still be a factor.

The Tyres

While the distance, as the crow flies, from the Sakhir permanent track to the Jeddah street circuit is only around 1260 kilometres, the characteristics of the two tracks could not be more different. From a track with a very abrasive asphalt, where thermal degradation is particularly high and where stability under braking and for traction are key factors, one now moves to a track with quite a smooth surface and very high speeds (an average per lap of 250 km/h) second only to Monza in this regard.

At 6.174 kilometres in length, it is the second longest track on the calendar, particularly twisty with 27 corners, the most of any circuit and on Saturday the drivers will tackle it 50 times. The fact that many of the turns are medium to high speed means the tyres are subjected to high lateral forces. As in Bahrain, qualifying and the race take place in the evening, starting at 20.00 local time, with temperatures that are therefore lower than during the first free practice sessions on Thursday and Friday.

Based on the experience of the previous three editions of this race, Pirelli has chosen its three mid-range compounds: the C2 as Hard, the C3 as Medium and the C4 as Soft. Another difference when compared to Bahrain is race strategy. Last Saturday, the overwhelming majority of drivers made two stops, with a three-stopper the only other likely choice. However, in Jeddah, it is quite possible to envisage a one-stop race, with drivers swapping between Medium and Hard depending on their grid positions. As this is a street circuit, there are not many run-off areas and so the risk of accidents is quite high, as is therefore the chance of seeing the Safety Car on track or even having the race red-flagged. Overtaking is pretty tricky, with the best opportunity coming on the entry to turn 1.

As is usually the case at street circuits, track evolution will be very high and in qualifying, it will be crucial to choose exactly the right moment to go out on track to set a good lap time and also important will be getting the preparation lap just right. In past events here, we have even seen drivers doing two preparation laps to get the Softs to the right temperature and that can cause traffic related problems.

More News and Info

In addition to the main F1 racing, the Jeddah circuit will again play host for the second round of the F2 Championship. Also on the schedule for the weekend is Round 1 of the F1 Academyā€™s seven round, all-female championship.

For all the other F1 news, views, and live commentary and timing, stick to F1.com:

3 Likes