The Formula 1 Thread 🏎

I suspect it has to do with Redbull reliability and the honda deal next year

2 Likes

That’s big news! Go team Renault!

2 Likes

So is Sainz going to McLaren?

Red bull should have kept Sainz at Renault and paid Danny a little something on the side and then will have a hand in 3 teams

More likely that Sainz will take the Red Bull seat. RB loaned him to Renault so officially, he’s still their driver.

1 Like

Cover and feature story of this months F1 Racing magazine. Awkward…

4 Likes

Hurr hurr hurr… Yeah, looks a bit silly now. To be fair though, his move caught everyone off guard.

2 Likes

Recent filings at Companies House reveal that on 26 July, Mansour Ojjeh stepped down as a director of McLaren Racing, while also stepping down as a director of McLaren Marketing and McLaren Applied Technologies.

Ojjeh’s involvement with McLaren goes back to the early 80s, when his TAG-Group bought a majority stake in the Woking company. His holding now stands at 15.9%, with a further 62.6% held by the Mumtalakat sovereign wealth fund and the rest held by a number of investors, including Michael Latifi who bought a 10% stake for £203m in May.

The filings also reveal that on 25 July, Zak Brown was appointed a director at McLaren Racing along with Paul Buddin and John Allert. Brown and Buddin are also appointed directors at McLaren Marketing, while Buddin, the chief financial officer for McLaren Automotive, is appointed a director at McLaren Applied Technologies.

It is unclear why Ojjeh has stepped down as a director, but within minutes of the move being revealed in the Independent, despite the fact the sport is on a mandatory two week break, a statement of denial had been issued to a number of outlets stating that “Mansour Ojjeh has not left the business and remains a director of McLaren Group”.

While he is indeed still a director of the McLaren parent company, the McLaren Group - a fact that was not denied by the Independent - there was also no suggestion that he had left the business, merely that he had stepped down as a director of three of the McLaren companies.

Furthermore, while McLaren’s statement claims that the move is aimed at “simplifying our corporate structure”, one has to wonder why, as one director steps down two or three more are appointed.

Since the ‘departure’ of Ron Dennis, who was ousted in a boardroom war with Ojjeh and Bahrain’s Mumtalakat sovereign wealth, the company has been restructured under the McLaren Group, with Ojjeh and executive chairman Mohammed bin Essa Al Khalifa forming the executive committee.

The news of Ojjeh’s stepping down as a director of the three McLaren companies comes weeks after it was revealed that the McLaren Group, has been drawn into an investigation by the UK government.

https://www.pitpass.com/62597/Ojjeh-steps-down-as-director-at-three-McLaren-companies

1 Like

that does not sound good. maybe it will help them get back to winning.

1 Like

https://www.pitpass.com/62599/Stroll-led-consortium-buys-Force-India

The administrators for Force India have accepted a bid for the team from a consortium led by Lawrence Stroll, billionaire father of Williams driver Lance Stroll.

FRP Advisory confirms that all jobs at the Silverstone-based outfit have been saved, that all creditors will be paid in full and money will be available immediately as the team strives to defend its fourth-place in the team standings it has held for the last two seasons.

“This outcome secures the future of the Force India team in Formula 1 and will allow our team of racers to compete to our full potential,” said Otmar Szafnauer is a statement tonight.

"I am delighted that we have the support of a consortium of investors who believe in us as a team and who see the considerable business potential that Force India has within F1 now and in the future.

“At Force India, our expertise and commitment has meant that we have always punched above our weight and this new investment ensures that we have a bright future ahead of us,” he added. “I also would like to thank Vijay, the Sahara Group and the Mol family for all of their support and taking the team as far as their circumstances would allow.”

“All creditors will be paid in full, all jobs will be preserved, and the team will have significant funding to invest in its future,” added administrator Geoff Rowley of FRP Advisory.

“Funding to support the team will be made available from today, and significantly more will be available once the company emerges from administration which we expect within the next two to three weeks.”

Stroll’s fellow investors are said to include his business partner Silas Chou, Canadian entrepreneur Andre Desmarais and John McCaw Jr.

2 Likes

Stroll F1, here we come, with Lance as nr 1 driver. :smiley:

2 Likes

Rather keen to see Lancelot in a better car. Want to see if he has talent or just money.

1 Like

I haven’t watched F1 in years but I’ve decided I’m going to start watching again when the break is over. Go team Renault! :smiley:

3 Likes

Dan isn’t driving for them yet, but I applaud the sentiment nontheless.

Oh, I’m not going to start supporting Renault because of Dan. But it’s exciting news.

38697939_2104531083202967_8437033223686455296_n

2 Likes

has anybody found it strange that Max has not said a word about danny jumping ship, danny also hasnt said thanks to max etc, trouble in paradise maybe?

I know Redbull was caught with their pants down.

Apparently the night before Dani announced he called Horner and told him about the choice. And that at that point Redbull had already taped a video announcing the team is staying as is.

1 Like

Above average driver backed up with piles of money. He (Lance) is not a future F1 champion, and it’s not quite something money can buy.

#Awkward

(10 characters)

1 Like