The Formula 1 Thread 🏎

It depends on the car - the top 6 its not even funny, they just fly past, the others you can see they fight for the spots. But yea that gap between the lower and top tiers is mental and it drives me insane. This is why I am a big supporter of the budget caps

2 Likes

Straight out HP yeah with cars like the mercedes. But the DRS in general is just too much. I mean even the Reno was flying by cars on DRS zone. Budget caps will stunt development so much.
They will have to create 2 separate classes like in MotoGP that still race together though

1 Like

Dude currently we have at least 3 classes - you see them in qualies

Really? I did not know that. Then there are like 5 guys per class or what?

Hehehe its unofficial.
But if you take a look at what happens during qualies, you can see the groups

And then you see it even clearer with the time gaps between the teams and their groupings

Ah yeah but that is any sport. They need to make it official though as in MotoGP

1 Like

I agree but that aint gonna happen ever

2 Likes

how did the force india’s get up so high?

Did you not see qualies? Nor the race?

1 Like

nope did not watch race or quilies. just watched the highlights.

1 Like

aah make sense

The panthers where fast

2 Likes
1 Like

Not that McLaren seem on the verge of winning anything, but the speculation is interesting nontheless.

3 Likes

:it: Benvenuti all’Autodromo Nazionale di Monza e al Gran Premio d’Italia di Formula 1 2018! :it:

Welcome to the Autodromo Nazionale Monza and the 2018 Formula 1 Italian Grand Prix! Ferrari’s home race, a sea of insanely passionate, flag waving, red wearing Tifosi. And eight long years since Fernando Alonso gave the Ferrari faithful the last of their record 19 Italian GP wins. And this year they’ll be more optimistic than ever that Seb and Kimi can bring them Italian win number 20, and the team want so much to honour Sergio Marchionne in Italy, I think they’re going to be hard to beat. Coming off his strong showing in Spa just a few days ago, Seb must be feeling confident.

Here’s the schedule for the weekend:
Capture

And the circuit map from this classic race circuit:

Will we see another long standing Race Lap Record fall this weekend? I’m thinking yes! (Incidentally, 2004 was also the year that Juan Pablo Montoya set the fastest ever lap in F1 history, slinging his Williams FW26 around the track at an average speed of 262.242kph during the early part of qualifying for the 2004 GP. Might be another record to fall this weekend.)

You can safely ignore the Kimi lap further down. Here’s the virtual lap that you need to watch:

Then, in the absence of a F1 2018 tour from @DieGrootHammer!, a virtual lap with that lesser talent, Kimi Raikkonen:

Pirelli have the info on tyres for the high-speed circuit:

And F1.com supply some conversation starter stats:

• The next Lewis Hamilton pole position will be the 200th for an English driver in world championship history, while the Mercedes star is also attempting to claim a fifth consecutive pole at Monza, tying his achievement at the last five Australian GPs.
  • Sebastian Vettel is yet to win for Ferrari at Monza, having taken his maiden F1 pole and win aged 21 years 73 days for Toro Rosso at the 2008 Italian GP, and added wins for Red Bull in 2011 and in 2013.
  • Valtteri Bottas has never qualified or finished outside the top six at Monza in the turbo hybrid era, which includes his stint at Williams before leaving for Mercedes. His best start at Monza remains third for Williams in 2014.
  • Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo is currently on his longest run without a podium (seven races) since an 11-race run in 2015-16.
  • Max Verstappen has never started or finished in the top six at Monza, meaning that his father still has a better Monza record than he does – Jos Verstappen finished fourth for Arrows in the 2000 Italian GP.
  • Romain Grosjean has only scored points at Monza once in six starts on this track (eighth in 2013) and has only outqualified a team mate on this track once (Pastor Maldonado in 2015).
  • Sergio Perez finished a career-best second at the 2012 Italian GP, matching his result from Malaysia earlier that year – but he hasn’t finished that high in his 117 starts since then.
  • Last year Lance Stroll became the youngest man to start a Grand Prix from the front row aged 18 years 309 days, taking the record away from Verstappen, who had only held it since the 2016 Belgian GP.
  • Pole position at Monza is statistically more important than Monaco, as from 2000-2017 the Italian GP winner has come from pole 14 times out of 18, compared to only 10 in Monte Carlo.
  • Ferrari have won at Monza 18 times, which is the record for most victories by any constructor at any one circuit (the next most is McLaren’s 15 wins at Monaco), and almost twice as many Monza wins as any other constructor (Mclaren have 10 here).

And finally a quick look at the weather forecast for the weekend:
Capture3
Thunderstorms on Friday could disrupt race preparations, but the rest of the weekend looks nice. (There are more thundershowers forecast for late Sunday evening - if they arrive earlier, things could get hairy during the race.)

6 Likes

Nice summary @GregRedd. I was planning on trying my hand at creating the clip tomorrow, so you were a bit quick for me.

But here is my attempt. I took it from the cockpit view, which took a while to get used to. But I ended up with an okay lap.

So enjoy one lap of Monza

https://youtu.be/sWYMzTMWeqA

6 Likes

You frikken legend @DieGrootHammer! I was half joking about it, but you did it, you really did it! And a fine lap it is too. Everyone go watch it now. On repeat!

Am updating the info post.

3 Likes

And some good news out of Germany today as well:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/german-gp-agrees-deal-to-stay-on-formula-1-calendar/3167196/?nrt=54

1 Like

Nicely done! So does your race engineer ever tell you: “Tjom, dis nou Hammer tyd…”?

4 Likes

Nope see that would be my job when I go visit

2 Likes