The Formula 1 Thread 🏎

But we have to wait for testing in Barcelona before we will see some of the new cars. For now it’s mainly just livery changes and sponsorships

At least they have learnt to do it in a smaller capacity so as not to waste so much money on press events

I really like that.

1 Like
3 Likes

I find it a bit underwhelming, to be honest… Not that I had any real hopes, but some fan-made liveries look ten times cooler and more interesting than this.

But anyway, unless Williams make a massive step forward, we won’t be spending too much time looking at the FW42 anyways.

2 Likes

Ha ha. I really still want to know what went wrong there. They went from consistently being the number 3 car to just being nowhere. poor guys.

Important rule changes for 2019 :

• Driver weight will now be considered separately to the car, rather than as combined figure
  • Fuel allowance is up 5kg to 110kg
  • A wider, higher – and much simplified – front wing
  • Smaller – and repositioned – barge boards
  • A higher, wider, simpler wing
  • Reduce the aerodynamic exploitation of brake ducts by using a simplified design
  • 5 Tyre compounds or which 3 will be available for each race
  • Two additional rear lights, one on each endplate of the rear wing
  • Cars will no longer be scrutineered. Instead, competitors must sign a declaration that they are in compliance with the rules. Stewards can make random checks at any time
  • Official end-of-race signal is now a chequered light panel at the finishing line
  • Overtaking on race restarts is not allowed until a driver has crossed the finishing line – rather than the earlier safety car line as previously.
4 Likes

Thats a bit sad

Thanks guys. The allowance for closer following is a big gain. Hope it works out as planned. Because I could not stand guys just hanging back because they could not rek their tyres. Made the races boring. Strategic, but boring.

1 Like

I honestly cannot see how 5kgs of fuel will make that much difference

Well…the maximum amount of fuel that an F1 can may consume is 100kg/h or 1.67 kg/min, thus .028 kg/sec

So taking into account that the Australian GP (since it’s the first one of the season) takes around 1 hour and 25 minutes to complete. Thus they never run full tilt all the time; This effectively allows them to run around 2-3 laps longer at a higher fuel usage rate.

1 Like

And about 20-odd years ago, they were the dominant team in F1. Funny how things change…

1 Like

yeah but no one cares about the 90’s anymore.

Yeah, the net effect is that the fuel burn rate is what determines how hard you can push these engines. They could be producing a lot more power with unrestricted flow. F1 is moving towards yet another form of endurance racing, which I find quite sad.

1 Like

I miss F1 from the 90’s. Maybe I’m in the minority.

1 Like

Preach. The late 80’s and early 90’s had the most exciting races.

3.5l V8s… 1.5l V6 Turbos all running side-by-side no sillyness with aero, just a flat panel at an angle (or two flat panels in the case of the rear wing)

2 Likes

Nope not just you

1 Like

And drivers with big cahunas. :grinning:

2 Likes

And here is yet another 3D render of a not-real car which looks something like 2019 spec. Ugh.

If Renault and Haas happen to be similar in pace, we’re going to have some fun trying to tell them apart, especially in profile. Maybe we can invent a drinking game called “Waar’s die Haas?”

2 Likes

And bigger egos. I still fondly remember the rivalry between Senna and Alain Prost… Both of them were strong drivers but ultimately rivals and teammates (at least for a bit) with no love lost between them.

2 Likes
1 Like