The Formula 1 Thread 🏎

I knew Ferrari wasnt part of it, due to their meh social media as well as Vettel who is no social media bug - you struggle to find anything about him in the news after the season ends

We love Kimi for trying insta - its hilarious and even that he barely does.

I cant wait to binge watch this -I am hoping it will scratch the itch, I need F1 now

2 Likes

Debate no more Hammer…

C1 stands for Compound 1, and it’s the hardest tyre in the 2019 Pirelli range, sitting just below the 2018 hard in terms of compounding. It’s designed for circuits that put the highest energy loadings through the tyres, which will typically feat.

C2 means Compound 2, effectively last year’s medium tyre. A versatile compound, but sitting at the harder part of the spectrum, it comes into its own on circuits that tend towards high speeds, temperatures, and energy loadings. This tyre has demonstrated an ample working range and adaptability to a wide variety of different circuits.

C3: This tyre is equivalent to the soft that was nominated in all but four of the races last year. It strikes a very good balance between performance and durability, with the accent on performance. It’s a very adaptable tyre that can be used as the softest compound at a high-severity track as well as the hardest compound at a low-severity track or street circuit.

C4: This is closest to the 2018 ultrasoft and it works well on tight and twisty circuits. It has a rapid warm-up and huge peak performance, but the other side of this is its relatively limited overall life.

C5: The softest 2019 compound is the heir to the universally-popular hypersoft: the fastest compound that Pirelli has ever made. This tyre is suitable for all circuits that demand high levels of mechanical grip, but the trade-off for this extra speed and adhesion is a considerably shorter lifespan than the other tyres in the range. Getting the most out of it will be a key to race strategy.

Nicely updated site and info from here: https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/motorsport/f1/tyres

That said, I agree with you that the C1 will see very little use, even if it isn’t quite as hard as last year’s Hard.

(And no, I don’t know what the C1 “will typically feat.” - that’s how it’s displayed on the site.)

3 Likes

Last time F1 had points for Fastest Lap was way back in 1959. There is a condition attached to this: The driver with the fastest lap will only be awarded the point if he also finishes in the Top 10. This is to avoid the nothing-to-lose back markers throwing on a set of fresh tyres one lap from the end and going banzai.

It still has to get final approval, but it looks likely that it’ll happen from Australia already.

1 Like

I’m in favor of this, would also support if the driver on pole gets an additional point.

2 Likes

Also Maurizio that never speaks to anyone haha. Let’s see how the new boss is.

1 Like

My dudes!!! It’s almost time!!!

3 Likes

I’m gonna miss the first one :frowning:
we’re gonna be on our way to CT :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Eeeeeeeeek so you mean I have to hide @Mottamort

I cannot wait for the season to start

I finished the netflix show this weekend, it was better than expected.

3 Likes

Indeed! It’ll be great to finally see what the pecking order is in proper qualy conditions and race pace. That said, Melbourne has historically proven to be a bit unreliable as a performance measure when you look at the rest of the season.

Ideal scenario for me: Max gets racy very early, Gasly is pressured by his accidents in testing, Vettel pushes hard as usual but Leclerc refuses to give way, Bottas is desperate to not be a nr2 whipping boy any more, Hamilton insists on his implied nr 1 status, and as a result the top 6 all crash into each other at the first corner, leaving Sainz to take a brilliant win for McLaren Renault. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yea we will have to wait at least 2 or 3 races to see the proper pecking order - especially when it comes to reliability

2 Likes

This would be the ideal start to the F1 season

1 Like

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Maybe to a merc?

1 Like

And to recap the 2018 season’s big bangs

3 Likes

TBH I’ve seen more Ferraris catch fire than Mercs…mostly the Mercs just lose electronics and//or gearbox fails. Nothing spectacular

1 Like

Very true, but I want to see a merc on fire - Im sure it will burn pretty :stuck_out_tongue:

Jokes aside, I just want to see what this season brings, there is so much going on behind the scenes - some of which was highlighted on the Netflix series.

1 Like

It’s Race Week

2 Likes

Here comes that first corner pile-up:

I was never a big F1 fan, but I loved the Drive to Survive documentary! I will be watching far more this year!

3 Likes

Yes, let’s talk about that Drive to Survive documentary. I binge watched it over the weekend, and I really enjoyed it. It gave some good insight into what is going on in the background of F1.

It is undeniable though that there was a massive Ferrari and Merc size gap in the documentary though. But, in a strange way, I am glad they were left out. It was great to see the focus on other teams, the teams that does not get top billing week in and week out.

Now for those of you that may be newish to the sport, many of the scenes were grossly over exaggerated for entertainment value. Scenes like the one where Perez “pushes” the camera guy out of the way. Well, in actual fact the camera guy was going to walk into a pitlane arm, and Perez made sure he didn’t. So a lot of that going on in the show.

After the show though, I have officially resigned from the Kevin Magnussen fan club, and I’ve forgiven Ocon for being a dick to Gasly. I love Cyril now despite the fact that he cannot build good engines, but his quip to Horner saying “now you don’t have an engine and a driver” was pure salty gold

4 Likes