The Formula 1 Thread 🏎

I see many other people also got Kimi in the personality test. Hey me too!!

1 Like

It was almost too easy to get:

Kimi Raikkonen

Born in the wrong era, you think F1 was better when the drivers did the business on track and then headed off to the nearest nightclub. You’re an uncomplicated individual, blindingly quick out on circuit, but easy to muck along with off it. You train in the gym because you have to, not because you love it, while enjoying the luxurious, fun-loving life of an F1 driver when the racing’s over.

1 Like

It is official

3 Likes

It’s almost time MEWBs! I am so impressed by the F1 enthusiasm in this thread over the past few weeks, I’ve decided that it deserves a detailed pre-season post to collect all the bits and pieces of info into one place, and to catch everyone up on all of the changes for this year.

Team Changes

On the team side of things, only one major engine change and a couple of marketing changes for the year ahead.

• Red Bull Racing ended their 12-year partnership with Renault and will use Honda engines this year, thereby joining sister team Scuderia Toro Rosso in using Honda power after Scuderia Toro Rosso joined the Japanese manufacturer in 2018. (Neither team will be recognised as an official Honda factory team.)
  • The Racing Point F1 Team official emerged from the Racing Point Force India identity that they used after their purchase of the assets of Sahara Force India in August last year.
  • Sauber is officially renamed Alfa Romeo Racing in terms of the sponsorship deal that they began in 2018. (The Sauber name will disappear entirely from the F1 grid but will still be used in the Formula 2 and Formula 3 support categories.)

Driver Changes

Some serious swings and roundabouts on the driver front this season with only 2 of the 10 teams retaining their 2018 driver line-up (Mercedes keep Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas, Haas F1 hold on to Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean). This season will see three F1 rookies, two F1 returnees, and one rookie+returnee on the grid.

• Perhaps the biggest ‘shock’ driver change is that of Daniel Ricciardo who leaves Red Bull Racing after 5 years and moves to the Renault F1 this year. The animosity-filled relationship between the two teams will be fascinating to watch. Ricciardo replaces Carlos Sainz Jnr. in the Renault and joins Nico Hulkenburg who keeps his seat with the team.
  • Carlos Sainz Jnr. moves from Renault to the McLaren team where he replaces the “sort of retired” Fernando Alonso.
  • In a double driver change, Sainz Jnr. is joined at McLaren by 2017 Formula 3 champion Lando Norris who replaces Stoffel Vandoorne.
  • Ricciardo’s vacant Red Bull seat is filled for 2019 by the Frenchman Pierre Gasly who gets promoted from the Toro Rosso team. The youngster joins the equally young Max Verstappen who gets to justify his huge contract to become the number one driver at Red Bull.
  • Replacing Gasly at Toro Rosso we see the return from the Russian wastelands of Daniil Kvyat after a two-year absence.
  • Kvyat gets partnered with another F1 rookie fresh off the F2 circuit, Alexander Albon. British-born but a citizen of Thailand, Albon becomes only the 2nd ever Thai F1 driver. He replaces Brendon Hartley.
  • Robert Kubica makes his much anticipated return to a full F1 seat 8 years after suffering life-threatening injuries in a 2011 rallying accident. He replaces Sergey Sirtokin at Williams.
  • It’s all change at Williams with 2018 Formula 2 champion George Russell taking the teams’ 2nd seat in place of Lance Stroll.
  • Lance Stroll in turn follows daddy’s money and switches from Williams to Racing Point where he replaces Esteban Ocon. Sergio Perez remains with the ‘same same, only different name’ team for another season – his sixth.
  • Then, in what some are calling either a masterstroke or a disaster-stroke, Ferrari and Sauber (aka Alfa Romeo) did a driver swap with Charles Leclerc joining Ferrari where he takes the place of Kimi RĂ€ikkönen who returns to Alfa Romeo (nĂ©e Sauber), the team with whom he started his F1 career way back in 2001. Leclerc becomes the second youngest ever Ferrari F1 driver in only his second full F1 season.
  • And finally, Raikkonen will be partnered with Antonio Giovinazzi in the second Alfa Romeo (ex-Sauber F1 (okay, I’ll stop now)), who made two starts for the team (when they were still officially Sauber (okay, this time for sure)) when he replaced the injured Pascal Wehrlein in 2017. Giovinazzi replaces Marcus Ericsson.

Entry Name Team Chassis Engine Code No Driver
:it: Alfa Romeo Racing Alfa Romeo C38 Ferrari 064 RAI 7 :finland: Kimi RÀikkönen
:switzerland: Alfa Romeo Racing Alfa Romeo C38 Ferrari 064 GIO 99 :it: Antonio Giovinazzi
:it: Scuderia Ferrari Ferrari SF90 Ferrari 064 VET 5 :de: Sebastian Vettel
:it: Scuderia Ferrari Ferrari SF90 Ferrari 064 LEC 16 :monaco: Charles Leclerc
:us: Rich Energy Haas F1 Team Haas VF-19 Ferrari 064 GRO 8 :fr: Romain Grosjean
:us: Rich Energy Haas F1 Team Haas VF-19 Ferrari 064 MAG 20 :denmark: Kevin Magnussen
:uk: McLaren F1 Team McLaren MCL34 Renault E-Tech 19 NOR 4 :uk: Lando Norris
:uk: McLaren F1 Team McLaren MCL34 Renault E-Tech 19 SAI 55 :es: Carlos Sainz Jr.
:de: Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport Mercedes F1 W10 Mercedes M10 EQ HAM 44 :uk: Lewis Hamilton
:de: Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport Mercedes F1 W10 Mercedes M10 EQ BOT 77 :finland: Valtteri Bottas
:uk: SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team Racing Point RP19 Mercedes M10 EQ PER 11 :mexico: Sergio PĂ©rez
:uk: SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team Racing Point RP19 Mercedes M10 EQ STR 18 :canada: Lance Stroll
:austria: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Red Bull RB15 Honda RA619H GAS 10 :fr: Pierre Gasly
:austria: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Red Bull RB15 Honda RA619H VER 33 :netherlands: Max Verstappen
:fr: Renault F1 Team Renault R.S.19 Renault E-Tech 19 RIC 3 :australia: Daniel Ricciardo
:fr: Renault F1 Team Renault R.S.19 Renault E-Tech 19 HUL 27 :de: Nico HĂŒlkenberg
:it: Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda Toro Rosso STR14 Honda RA619H ALB 23 :thailand: Alexander Albon
:it: Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda Toro Rosso STR14 Honda RA619H KVY 26 :ru: Daniil Kvyat
:uk: ROKiT Williams Racing Williams FW42 Mercedes M10 EQ RUS 63 :uk: George Russell
:uk: ROKiT Williams Racing Williams FW42 Mercedes M10 EQ KUB 88 :poland: Robert Kubica

Calendar Changes

A stable 21-round race calendar this year, with no race losses or additions. The single minor difference is the switching of Mexican and United States Grands Prix. And thankfully for the teams’ sake, no triple-header.

Round Grand Prix Circuit Race Date SA Start
1 :australia: Australian GP Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne 17 March 07:10
2 :bahrain: Bahrain GP Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir 31 March 17:10
3 :cn: Chinese GP Shanghai International Circuit, Shanghai 14 April 08:10
4 :azerbaijan: Azerbaijan GP Baku City Circuit, Baku 28 April 14:10
5 :es: Spanish GP Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, MontmelĂł 12 May 15:10
6 :monaco: Monaco GP Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo 26 May 15:10
7 :canada: Canadian GP Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal 09 June 20:10
8 :fr: French GP Circuit Paul Ricard, Le Castellet 23 June 15:10
9 :austria: Austrian GP Red Bull Ring, Spielberg 30 June 15:10
10 :uk: British GP Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone 14 July 15:10
11 :de: German GP Hockenheimring, Hockenheim 28 July 15:10
12 :hungary: Hungarian GP Hungaroring, MogyorĂłd 04 August 15:10
13 :belgium: Belgian GP Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Stavelot 01 September 15:10
14 :it: Italian GP Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza 08 September 15:10
15 :singapore: Singapore GP Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore 22 September 14:10
16 :ru: Russian GP Sochi Autodrom, Sochi 29 September 13:10
17 :jp: Japanese GP Suzuka International Racing Course, Suzuka 13 October 07:10
18 :mexico: Mexican GP AutĂłdromo Hermanos RodrĂ­guez, Mexico City 27 October 21:10
19 :us: United States GP Circuit of the Americas, Austin 03 November 21:10
20 :brazil: Brazilian GP Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo 17 November 19:10
21 :united_arab_emirates: Abu Dhabi GP Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi 01 December 15:10

(It occurs to me that maybe the reason for the US/Mex switch is because the last few Driver’s Championships have been won in Mexico, and F1’s American bosses would prefer the media attention a little closer to home?)

Tyre Changes

• Pirelli reduced (from 7 to 5) and renamed its range of dry tyres for the season following a request from the FIA and the sport’s management. Gone are names such as “hypersoft” and “ultrasoft”, and their associated Crayola colours, to be replaced by a straightforward “Hard” (white), “Medium” (yellow) and “Soft” (red) tyre for each race. The compounds will be referred to by number, from the hardest (“C1”) to the softest (“C5”). [See the post here for an broad explanation of the 2018 > 2019 equivalent compounds.]

Technical Regulation Changes

• In a bid to improve overtaking, teams agreed to a series of aerodynamic changes that affect the profile of the front and rear wings. The front wing endplates were reshaped to alter the airflow across the car and reduce the effects of aerodynamic turbulence and winglets above the main plane of the front wing have been banned. The slot in the rear wing was widened, making the drag reduction system (DRS) more powerful.
  • Parts of the technical regulations governing bodywork were rewritten in a bid to promote sponsorship opportunities for teams. The agreed changes are to mandate smaller bargeboards and limit aerodynamic development of the rear wing endplates to create more space for sponsor logos.
  • Maximum fuel levels were raised from 105kg to 110kg to minimise the need for drivers to conserve fuel during a race.
  • Driver weights are no longer considered when measuring the minimum weight of the car. This change was agreed to following concerns that drivers were being forced to lose dangerous amounts of weight in order to offset the additional weight of the post-2014 generation of turbo-hybrid engines. Drivers who weigh less than 80kg will have to make up this weight with ballast, located around the seat to minimise possible performance gains.

Sporting Regulation Changes

• Confirmed just yesterday, 2019 will see the reintroduction of a single bonus point to a driver (and constructor) who sets the fastest race lap at each Grand Prix. The point will only be awarded if the driver finishes inside the Top 10. The last time Formula 1 had bonus points for FL was 1959.

Driver Safety Changes

• The FIA introduced a new standard for driver helmets designed to improve safety. Under the new standard, helmets will be subjected to a more thorough range of crash tests aimed at improving energy absorption and deflection as well as reducing the likelihood of objects penetrating the helmet’s structure. All certified helmet manufacturers were required to pass the tests in advance of the 2019 championship to have their certification renewed. The new F1 standard will also gradually be applied to all helmets used by competitors in all FIA-sanctioned event.

And that’s about the sum of all the changes I can think of right now. I’ll add anything else I remember (or get reminded about) as and when.

Round 1’s Aussie GP preview coming on Thursday, and then this weekend, we race!

5 Likes

We’re just days away from the start of another pulsating season of F1 racing, and this year we’re kicking things off with a bang with F1’s inaugural Season Launch event.

Taking place this Wednesday at 17h00 in the vibrant heart of Melbourne, ahead of Sunday’s Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2019, fans will have the opportunity to see all 20 drivers and 10 team principals descend on Federation Square to declare the new season open.

HOW CAN I WATCH THE F1 SEASON LAUNCH EVENT?

F1 fans in Melbourne can attend the event, organised in partnership with AGPC (Australian Grand Prix Corporation), free of charge.

F1 fans around the world can watch the whole event on Formula1.com, on F1’s YouTube page, or on F1’s Facebook page.

That’ll be 08:00AM :clock8: tomorrow morning for us in SA.

Also worth making a quick mention of 2 Superbru F1 Predictor Pools that you may want to join, if you haven’t already: @Solitude runs the MEW Superbru Club and has the 2019 F1 Most Epic Win Pool here:
https://www.superbru.com/f1/pool.php?p=12006257. In addition, if you have space, you’re also very welcome to join my Formula Fans 2019 F1 Pool here: https://www.superbru.com/f1/pool.php?p=12005691

4 Likes

I also made a MEW one 3c5ae07931 on F1.com

3 Likes

2019 Formula 1 Season Launch | Live from Melbourne

2 Likes

Anybody with the game want to do a Melbourne hot lap challenge?
I can set up another thread.
Times need to be in Sat night.
Best lap in selected car before each Grand Prix.

I am far from winning, but its fun to watch the race when you know the track.

f1 2017 or 2018 (just specify)

5 Likes

I will get in on this. I have just picked up F1 2018

1 Like

I will have the worst time, I have no talent I can try it tho

2 Likes

I had such a laugh, Alfa Romeo announced Marcud Erricson as their reserve driver - And yes that is how they spelt his name

https://www.facebook.com/sauberf1team/posts/2079793885401400

The comments are golden

2 Likes

I’m in!!! I did a couple of laps last night in preparation for the week.

3 Likes

Sweet. Ill create a thread in an hour

3 Likes

F1 DNA shows nine of the 11 entrants from 1999 are in some form still competing as Sportsmail looks at the lineage of every team competing in the 2019 campaign, and what they were previously known as.

3 Likes

I bought F1 2018, so I will join in on this

4 Likes

Very cool chart!

3 Likes

Very sad news to start today :cry:

3 Likes

Very sad news indeed. He will be sorely missed.

1 Like

On a more pleasant note, here’s Danny Ric keeping it classy in welcoming Robert Kubica back to the grid.

Good guy Daniel.

4 Likes