The Outer Worlds Review Roundup

Obsidian's Entertainment's new Sci-Fi RPG is set for release this week and the critics seem very happy with the game. The game is currently sitting on a very impressive 86% on both Metacritic and Opencritic with 96% of critics on Opencritic recommending the game.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/the-outer-worlds-review/
2 Likes

The Outer Worlds will be available on Steam one year after launch on other exclusive digital PC platforms.

time to follow r/crackwatch

2 Likes

How about that Borderlands 3 crackwatch though :stuck_out_tongue:

R69 a month for GamePass PC though. Seems a good deal.

3 Likes

Oh wow, I put this in the back of my mind, waiting for it to be affordable. Then I saw the info here about Game Pass and I went and checked it out. Turns out I have 2 months of free sub on it from some xbox demo code I had used when I got my new GPU a month back, I thought the code failed and moved on.

Happiness is me! Pre-downloading it now.

3 Likes

Ok I am now green with envy

1 Like

Cant wait. It’s almost Friday. It’s going to be a lovely obsidian filled weekend.

3 Likes

That’s a really good deal on GamePass, though I’d really prefer to just buy the game outright on Steam. (Actually I’d prefer GOG or Humble, but they don’t localise to ZAR so Steam ends up being significantly cheaper.)

(No, actually I’d prefer to buy a copy at local retail, but alas, digital has killed the PC game retail box.)

2 Likes

If you think about it R69 a month means that you will have to play the game for about 15 months to have paid the full cost and I somehow doubt it will take me 3 months to finish it. R210 for a game is very very cheap.

2 Likes

Sure, but you’re just renting it. When you stop paying, you lose access to it, don’t you?

1 Like

Yes. In the end it is a decision based on your game play style. Picking it up for another month after a long wait is still pretty cheap.

1 Like

I’m happy to rent the game for one month for R16. I’m sure I’ll be able to finish it.

I will buy it one day on either Steam or Switch.

1 Like

The thing is how often do you go back to a game? I find I never do that. You keep your achievements and that’s quite nice. Game Pass is one of the best things that’s ever happened to gaming. Especially if you have an XBox and a PC.

3 Likes

…even just PC. I was a huge nay-sayer until I joined last month. I haven’t touched Steam again since and only play the games on XGP.

4 Likes

I have also barely played anything on steam just thanks to the uplay+ I am having so much fun. And its cheap enough for 3 games.

2 Likes

I used to go back to Diablo 3 regularly. I go back to Borderlands regularly. I expect I’ll return to No Man’s Sky and Mass Effect at some point, and my friends have just started playing Vermintide 2 again, so I may go back to that.

And then, of course, there’s Warframe and Destiny 2. But that’s another story entirely.

That’s just off the top of my head.

I’d much rather discuss the pros and cons of Game Pass with y’all that have been using it than focus on my consumption habits, though.

Game Pass is one of the best things that’s ever happened to gaming.

Can’t you make the same argument for the hordes of other subscription services available?

What makes it better than say, Humble Monthly, Origin Access (which is also available on consoles), and Uplay+?

1 Like

The only thing I don’t like about gamepass is that you can’t really set where it installs the games. You can choose the drive but not the folder structure which sucks.

I have a 2TB drive that only has games installed in the root and now there are annoying WindowsApps and WPSystem folders that mess with my organisation.

1 Like

Good point. I’ll rephrase what I said. Subscription Gaming Services is the best thing that’s ever happened to gaming.

I love it. In the past you couldn’t play Gears 5 or The Outer Worlds or Forza Horizon 4 at launch for so little money. And I can decide if I want to play it on PC or XBox. In the past I always waited for these games to go on special before playing them. I was a real patient gamer.

Now I’m playing Gears 5. Just like that. My Game Pass is paid up for the next couple of years and I can play games from a huge library.

It’s magnificent.

4 Likes

Humble Monthly is better in the sense that you own the games, but worse in the sense that the games are quite a bit older and most of the unlocks are shovelware hidden behind the anticipation of “surprise unlocks”.

For Origin Access you only get EA games, which are mostly yearly iterations of the same set of games (Battlefield, Fifa, Need for Speed and Sims). The rest of the games are quite a bit older as well. The same goes for uPlay+.

XGP has a decent selection of games across a wide variety of genres from different developers and publishers. It also has a good mix of AAA and Indie titles. I do believe it is the current winner in the gaming subscription race.

4 Likes

Ok, so if you stop paying for Gamepass, then obviously you lose your access to the games. If you start paying again a year later, do you have access to the same games again or only the new games? I assume the games on Gamepass rotes from month-to-month?
So to put it another way, do you keep access to your rented games forever whenever your subscription is active? (Like with PS+)

I’ve never looked at any subscription services (UPlay and Origin Access didn’t really appeal to me), but since I’ve “cancelled” Dstv a while ago, I’ve gotten some other paid services like Netflix, Amazon and Youtube, so there is still a whole gap I could fill before reaching the monthly premium that I used to pay for Dstv.

1 Like